SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Don't worry, EF will have more goals and "maybe" more points than Jake Sanderson. Who saw that coming? I realize JS has missed a boat load of games, but impressive. EF with 9 goal already for a D? That's a pretty good year, I don't care what your name is.

Should add there's no lack of scoring by committee on this year's team. Looking at roster + stats. Pretty fun to look at.

4 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Don't worry, EF will have more goals and "maybe" more points than Jake Sanderson. Who saw that coming? I realize JS has missed a boat load of games, but impressive. EF with 9 goal already for a D? That's a pretty good year, I don't care what your name is.

Should add there's no lack of scoring by committee on this year's team. Looking at roster + stats. Pretty fun to look at.

Isn't that the truth. Odd looking through the stats, Sanderson potentially doesn't have to play another game and could end up the year in the Top 3 in team scoring. Also, kind of surprised that UND is 18th in the country in total goals scored this year. Thought it'd be lower. 

On 2/21/2022 at 5:08 PM, Blackheart said:

Well, plus next year when he comes back.;)

It makes you wonder if he hears about other guys who left and wish they hadn't. I enjoyed listening to Duncan on the Has Beens saying he was so happy he stayed 4 years, and Oshie has openly said he wished he would've stayed. The NHL will always be there (of course barring career ending injury), UND games are limited to 4 years (5 with covid year?) but you get what I'm saying. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/jake-sanderson-returns-to-grand-forks-mark-senden-expected-back-in-lineup-for-senior-weekend

Little bit about seniors possibly returning next season:

Senden and Hain are fourth-year seniors who could use their COVID-19 season to come back next year.

"It's a situation where we'll talk about that at the end of the year," Berry said. "I mentioned to both those guys, those are absolutely guys that we would love to have back in our lineup next year. But things transpire where there could be pro opportunities or there could be situations where they're moving on.

Did any team in the country lose more talent than UND did coming in to this year?   Then to go to possibly win the regular season title to the best conference in the country?  
And they are doing it by closing strong without their only top draft pick.    Some serious coaching going on there.   And part of that is not Xs and Os; it's getting the boys to believe in the system and play as a team.   

I have a hunch there are zero locker room problems with this team.  

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, burd said:

Did any team in the country lose more talent than UND did coming in to this year?   Then to go to possibly win the regular season title to the best conference in the country?  
And they are doing it by closing strong without their only top draft pick.    Some serious coaching going on there.   And part of that is not Xs and Os; it's getting the boys to believe in the system and play as a team.   

I have a hunch there are zero locker room problems with this team.  

Heard Olson say they won tonight without 3 possible all league players in Gaber, Sanderson, and Frisch.

• Upvote 3

This weekend turned out much better than I had expected for the NCHC standings.
I anticipated us splitting with WMU and DU sweeping UNO.

So for us to sweep WMU and DU to drop a game to UNO was a great result.
Now have a four point lead heading into the last weekend.
One win next weekend against UNO and it's clinched.

Go get it boys!
Hopefully we get a couple injured players back.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, brianvf said:

This weekend turned out much better than I had expected for the NCHC standings.
I anticipated us splitting with WMU and DU sweeping UNO.

So for us to sweep WMU and DU to drop a game to UNO was a great result.
Now have a four point lead heading into the last weekend.
One win next weekend against UNO and it's clinched.

Go get it boys!
Hopefully we get a couple injured players back.

Thanks for your insightful and encouraging post. Up until now, I’ve been stewing big time over Omaha’s loss tonight to the point I’d forgotten the great accomplishment UND had this weekend. You’ve put things in perspective for me, I’m not as soured about Omaha’s loss as I was a few minutes ago. I don’t expect any help from CC next weekend so UND will have to go out and earn it. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2022 at 1:51 PM, tnt said:

The minute our season ends, Sanderson will be on his way to Ottawa.  We are lucky to get a partial second year out of him.  Hopefully we can make a run and have some more memories before he takes his game to the next level. 

Was watching NHL channel this week and the focus was Ottawa. Commentators said that as soon as ND's season is over, Sanderson is joining them and he will be a top 4 DMan for them.

2 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

The boys blocked 23 shots tonight!! This blue collar lunch pail crew believe in themselves and each other. We are truly blessed with the coaching staff and the character of this team. 

Was at tonight's game. Just so much lunch bucket guys doing all the little things that leads to W's.  Most of my time watching UND hockey has been to watch Parise, Toews, Patrick and the other stars. Tonight: No stars just a great TEAM.