SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

16 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

I agree with almost all your picks above, but since I've started the crazy talk here about WMU's coach as a deserving candidate for COTY, I'll go through the rationale in a little more detail.   And yeah as a UND fan I bleed green and would love to see UND's staff rewarded for their accomplishments in bringing together a pile of new players and a goaltender who needed to listen to Karl for a while before getting his thinking into his head.   (And I'm going to ignore Carle for this discussion, even though I think he and Berry may split the votes that go to the Title Team.)

Let's start with # years experience in the job  Ferschweiler 1.  Berry 6.   First year coaches always get a bonus there.

Preseason expectations vs actual/current rankings.   NCHC:  WMU Preseason #6 Actual #3.  UND Preseason #2 (tied almost) Actual #1 tied.

Nationally (USCHO Preseason vs current Pairwise.  WMU Preseason Not Ranked (#24)  Current #5.  UND Preseason #7  Current #6.   UND has met preseason expectations, while Western Michigan has clobbered them.

Average Age of roster  WMU 22.3  UND 21.8 (Source CHN, I didn't check their calculation.)

Average # Seasons of College Playing Experience (Fr 1 So 2, etc to 5 years for some)  WMU 2.50  UND 2.33

# 5th Year players on the roster WMU 2 (Ethan Frank, Josh Passolt)  UND 2  (Connor Ford, Zach Driscoll)  Not sure where you think they have a pile of super seniors, but that number looks equal to me.

You broke it down nicely!  Definitely a good argument for Fersch there.  :) 
UND was picked to finish #3 in the preseason poll, rather than #2 (almost tied though with #2, as you mention).

5th year players...you're missing Washe for WMU, although he has since been kicked off the team, he was a big returnee at the beginning of the season.  When it was announced that Attard, Frank, Passolt, and Washe were returning that should have bolstered WMU's ranking in the eyes of NCHC and USCHO preseason pollsters, but they were under-ranked IMO.  WMU kept their talented group together, while UND had to hit the transfer portal in order to replenish their losses.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

UND was picked to finish #3 in the preseason poll, rather than #2 (almost tied though with #2, as you mention).

5th year players...you're missing Washe for WMU, although he has since been kicked off the team, he was a big returnee at the beginning of the season.  When it was announced that Attard, Frank, Passolt, and Washe were returning that should have bolstered WMU's ranking in the eyes of NCHC and USCHO preseason pollsters, but they were under-ranked IMO.  WMU kept their talented group together, while UND had to hit the transfer portal in order to replenish their losses.

Fair point, that preseason expectations for Western Michigan should have been higher. 

Still amazed at how quickly UND turned around it season, with the best winning percentage of the season in latter January and February against very tough competition.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

Add in the circumstances of the season with UND losing their best player for half the games for various reasons, then not being able to field a full roster missing All-conference players, and that adds to Berry's resume. The fact that they held it together after they were swept by Cornell and Western is another plus on their side of the ledger.  Fans were confident we wouldn't even make the tournament and then to run into the injuries and still come out the other side with a conference title no less,  is impressive.  Don't know if Western ever seemed in jeopardy of not making the tournament.  Yes, Western lost Washe, but I would argue the fact he was on the team when I'm sure the allegations were well known should detract from Western Michigan. 

• Upvote 1

IN regard to the super senior debate I have to add that while the breakdown is similar it does not take into account UND had to re-build and Western simply had them coming back. A proper re-build means that the new additions need to gel with the team and culture and that happened. It doesn't always happen that way. My nod goes to Berry.

42 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

You dont remember when we played the gophers in the final five and then the regionals at least twice. 

Yup. 2007 and 2012, at least.  Frankly, happens too much to UND. 

And in 2011, UND won the final five in double OT against Denver only to have to beat Denver again a week later in the regionals to get to the frozen four. 

***2017 too, FWIW. UND lost to Duluth in frozen face off final. NCAA sends UND and Duluth to the same regional the very next week. 

*****2015 too, as I come to think of it. UND lost to St Cloud in the frozen faceoff.  UND beat St Cloud the next week in regionals. 

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Yup. 2007 and 2012, at least.  Frankly, happens too much to UND. 

And in 2011, UND won the final five in double OT against Denver only to have to beat Denver again a week later in the regionals to get to the frozen four. 

***2017 too, FWIW. UND lost to Duluth in frozen face off final. NCAA sends UND and Duluth to the same regional the very next week. 

*****2015 too, as I come to think of it. UND lost to St Cloud in the frozen faceoff.  UND beat St Cloud the next week in regionals. 

2012, wasn’t that the “timeout” game at the Final 5 and we got our butts handed to us at Regionals the following week in St. Paul?