SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

Too bad there isn't a draft order for recruiting.  We could root for a tankathon then.  Hard to see more than 4 wins the rest of the way.

I predict we go 7-5 or 8-4 from here on out. We’ll split with the Clowns and Western at home (our home), we’ll sweep CC and Omaha and we’ll either split or sweep with Omaha on the road. 

The reason I say this is because I think the coaches have finally come to the conclusion that Helsten is our goalie for the future. He is the only logical choice. If they were both equal (I don’t think they are but if they were) why play a guy who won’t be around next year when we have a guy who will be? Driscoll has been ripped very hard by us fans (and some opponents), he is a good goalie but not an elite goalie like most of the other teams in the NCHC have. The Beavers made his stats good before we got him because of the defensive style of game they play. We do not know if Helsten will be elite, we will only know if we give him every opportunity to improve and gain experience in this league. Hopefully he’ll be the winning difference a couple times this year but it will be game experience for next year if he isn’t. 

The losses to Cornel were embarrassing. The losses to Western, were not. They were two very well played games against an exceptional team playing at their barn, a very hostile place for visiting teams. I’ll also predict that Western is a frozen four team in April! 

We’re not as good of a team as we hopeD we would be, but we’re also not as bad as some of us make us appear to be either. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, mattim said:

I predict we go 7-5 or 8-4 from here on out. We’ll split with the Clowns and Western at home (our home), we’ll sweep CC and Omaha and we’ll either split or sweep with Omaha on the road. 

The reason I say this is because I think the coaches have finally come to the conclusion that Helsten is our goalie for the future. He is the only logical choice. If they were both equal (I don’t think they are but if they were) why play a guy who won’t be around next year when we have a guy who will be? Driscoll has been ripped very hard by us fans (and some opponents), he is a good goalie but not an elite goalie like most of the other teams in the NCHC have. The Beavers made his stats good before we got him because of the defensive style of game they play. We do not know if Helsten will be elite, we will only know if we give him every opportunity to improve and gain experience in this league. Hopefully he’ll be the winning difference a couple times this year but it will be game experience for next year if he isn’t. 

The losses to Cornel were embarrassing. The losses to Western, were not. They were two very well played games against an exceptional team playing at their barn, a very hostile place for visiting teams. I’ll also predict that Western is a frozen four team in April! 

We’re not as good of a team as we hopeD we would be, but we’re also not as bad as some of us make us appear to be either. 

I don't know about that, Omaha beat UMD this weekend.

1 hour ago, mattim said:

The reason I say this is because I think the coaches have finally come to the conclusion that Helsten is our goalie for the future.

I'd be very surprised if we take 3 of 4 from Omaha.
I'd love to see it, though.

We'll see if Hellsten is in net on Friday night.  Something tells me that the coaches will go back to Driscoll again.

I think a lot of this season's woes are directly related to bringing in 14 new faces. Which is a normal year would most likely be working itself about at this time in the season.  This season is nowhere close to normal due to the extra year of eligibility due to COVID.  Western & Cloud are almost 'super-veteran' teams. They have 8-11 players (Grads & Srs) that are well into their 4th and 5th yrs of playing TOGETHER and it shows.  We have 1 Grad & 7 Seniors (5 of which are transfers playing together for the first year).  This disparity in experience will tend to make a young team look a lot worse than it probably is.  Imagine a UND team with 5 grads, 7 seniors, & 9 juniors... could very well add up to "9".

Unfortunately, with Hain hurt and Sanderson off to the Olympics, I think we will be lucky to go .500 :(

On 1/24/2022 at 2:35 PM, FightingSU said:

I don't know about that, Omaha beat UMD this weekend.

Omaha is a very up and down team, when they’re on their very impressive, When they’re not it’s just like old times. I watched a lot of their games, my wife is from Omaha (went to UNO) and that’s her team. You’re right the game against UMD and Saturday night was very much one-sided. But Friday night, it was a !@#$ show. If you look at the comments from Taylor Ward they were very insightful. It’s just one game he said, the question is what are they do with it. The problem is they become very much the one trick pony, until they develop multiple strategies it’s easy to counter their style of play.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Sanderson should have stayed in Grand Forks...now he's just sitting in LA waiting to clear Covid protocol.:sad:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/jake-sanderson-enters-covid-protocol-ahead-of-the-olympic-games

EDIT:  Apologies; I see this already being covered in the Olympics thread.

It feels like five of the eight conference spots are just about set.

1. Denver

2. WMU

6. Omaha 

7. CC

8. Miami

That leaves UND, UMD and SC fighting for 3,4,5.  Somehow UND needs to fight through the injuries and get to 3.  The 4/5 death match in the first round could be loser-season-over. 

If the shutdown guys are out for long, two wins this weekend seems difficult, and any wins at Duluth seem unlikely.  Then you'd have to hope reinforcements arrive from IR and China and they can win some games in the last two weeks.  Then the PWR has to be good enough to make it at large, because beating WMU and DU back to back in St Paul seems unlikely. 

28 minutes ago, jk said:

That leaves UND, UMD and SC fighting for 3,4,5.  Somehow UND needs to fight through the injuries and get to 3.  The 4/5 death match in the first round could be loser-season-over.

UMD seems to still be in good shape for PWR, at #7, so they'll probably make the NCAA tourney regardless of if they make it to the NCHC Tourney or not.
SCSU fell a bit down to #10 in PWR, so they'll need to start winning some games...they have a rough remaining schedule with 4x against UMD and 2x against WMU, but that also gives them a chance to move up.

I agree that DU looks to have that #1 spot wrapped up but I could see UND finishing anywhere from 2-4.  WMU has two big series coming up against SCSU and DU before the big series against UND (where hopefully we have Sanderson back and some boys back from injury).  We just need to take care of business against CC this weekend, despite our injury issues.

5 hours ago, jk said:

It feels like five of the eight conference spots are just about set.

1. Denver

2. WMU

6. Omaha 

7. CC

8. Miami

If the shutdown guys are out for long, two wins this weekend seems difficult, and any wins at Duluth seem unlikely.  Then you'd have to hope reinforcements arrive from IR and China and they can win some games in the last two weeks.  Then the PWR has to be good enough to make it at large, because beating WMU and DU back to back in St Paul seems unlikely. 

Why would you have WMU as set at #2 when they aren’t even there now, and still have to play Denver at St. Cloud and here?  We should have Sanderson back when we play Western, and they aren’t as dominant on the road. And if St. Cloud can’t return the favor to WMU, they may be fighting it out with Omaha for sixth.  I definitely would rather play Omaha than St. Cloud though. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, tnt said:

Why would you have WMU as set at #2 when they aren’t even there now, and still have to play Denver at St. Cloud and here?  We should have Sanderson back when we play Western, and they aren’t as dominant on the road. And if St. Cloud can’t return the favor to WMU, they may be fighting it out with Omaha for sixth.  I definitely would rather play Omaha than St. Cloud though. 

If UND is lucky enough to host a first round series this year, you know that series is going to 3 games...and you know that 3rd game is going to OT.  :D;)

This weekend we could be short:

Budy (until he's not a scratch, he's not available)
Hain
Senden
Jamernik

Sanderson
Ferner

... and anything we don't know about ... 

Let's see, 27 man roster, but 23 skaters, down potentially 6, leaves 17. That's not a full (12F/6D) card. Awesome. 

Can Casey Johnson skate 4th line RW? 

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hain
Senden
Jamernik

Sanderson
Ferner

Let's see, 27 man roster, but 23 skaters, down potentially 6, leaves 17. That's not a full (12F/6D) card. Awesome. 

Found the 12th forward.

18-21-17

29-8-16

17-11-28

5-20-13

30 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hain
Senden
Jamernik

Sanderson
Ferner

At least we won't pull a Michigan and duck some opponents if we can't field a full team.  

• Upvote 1