SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Things become less frustrating once you accept it for what it is. This team will not make the playoffs this year. I'm looking forward to the rest of the year with an eye on next year. Extra emphasis on the D-core and Hellsten. Especially once Sanderson goes to the Olympics. Can Hellsten continue his play from WMU series and really solidify himself as a guy you feel good about heading into next year. Likewise, can this team tighten up defensively, like they did last game. I do think the Forward position not this year, but next year would be easiest to fix.

We really need a reset. A good solid recruitment year and a class of solid recruits that can grow together and develop the chemistry that makes UND hockey. The Swede will be just fine moving forward. We just need a solid team to be recruited and developed. The transfer portal is just a stopgap measure and should not be relied on to build a team.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bcblues said:

We really need a reset. A good solid recruitment year and a class of solid recruits that can grow together and develop the chemistry that makes UND hockey. The Swede will be just fine moving forward. We just need a solid team to be recruited and developed. The transfer portal is just a stopgap measure and should not be relied on to build a team.

Clean house 

27 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Add on first time shutout in 87 games.

I'm not really liking our chances against SCSU this upcoming weekend.
If we get swept again, how far back do they have to look to find when we were last swept on three consecutive weekends?  :blink:

1 hour ago, SiouxForever said:

Is UND the only team in the NCHC to have a super senior from last year not come back? Let’s start there with an issue and then +  letting Rizzo, Morrow walk and go elsewhere. 

I was looking at stats for the seniors and some other guys that left after last year. Not necessarily tearing up the AHL. 

16 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

Is UND the only team in the NCHC to have a super senior from last year not come back? Let’s start there with an issue and then +  letting Rizzo, Morrow walk and go elsewhere. 

If this was going to be a down year anyway just bring in 14 freshman and build for the future instead of using the portal as a band aid.  From what I understand those teams that brought all these super seniors back may be in a hurt bag the next year or two.

• Upvote 1

Karl Goehring has seen the TBL system, where you can still play defense and score. 

What we have is a ton of guys who are fillers at best at forward.
And after the top 3 or 4, the defense is still unproven to suspect. 

Ask yourself (not you dear reader, but this is to the team) have you earned a roster spot for next season? 

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

If this was going to be a down year anyway just bring in 14 freshman and build for the future instead of using the portal as a band aid.  From what I understand those teams that brought all these super seniors back may be in a hurt bag the next year or two.

I agree with this, the issue being (and this is on Berry), they didn't have anyone else to bring in this past year. That's proof by Montgomery not playing right now over Ness / Albrecht. We can circle back in a few years to see how Ethan Bowen does at Vermont. I find it very hard to believe he wouldn't be more capable than the "bottom 4" forwards on this years team. 

I do though agree with the thought. This year, you're kind of stuck in the middle. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

Didn't like the idea of the portal when they announced it and definitely still not a fan of the portal.  I hope Berry and Co shy away from it in the future. If your looking for depth it had positives but not impact players

• Upvote 2