SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

UMD and SCSU going to shootout helps a bit in the race for home ice, being that neither got full points.
How does SCSU only have 5 regulation conference wins in 15 games played?  :blink::0

I think their only win against a team that is top 4 of the NCHC so far is their 8-1 win against us in December. Explains why they are 5th. 

18 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Could you imagine our fanbase if we had finished runnerup last season and brought back 23 of 27 guys on the roster and were having the season SCSU is having currently?

Really looking at it, I put Western / St. Cloud / Omaha in the "all in" 2021/2022 category. All three will lose a lot after this year. Up to this point, only Western looks the part. St. Cloud given their past few years, you'd think would be in National Title or bust category. Regular season and where they finish doesn't really matter as long as they make the tournament. Strategically, this would have been a good year to get young. 

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think their only win against a team that is top 4 of the NCHC so far is their 8-1 win against us in December. Explains why they are 5th. 

Even so, they could be a scary team to face in the postseason.  Duluth hasn't had great league finishes and still caught fire in the postseason.  Could use a little help from them this weekend against Western Michigan.  

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

Even so, they could be a scary team to face in the postseason.  Duluth hasn't had great league finishes and still caught fire in the postseason.  Could use a little help from them this weekend against Western Michigan.  

I mean it depends how the rest of the regular season shakes out. SCSU might not even make it to the Frozen Faceoff if they don’t get home ice, which would probably put their NCAA hopes in question. Especially if they don’t knock out some wins down the stretch. So we’ll see what happens with their upcoming games. 

I, personally, am rooting for a UMD/SCSU first round NCHC matchup. :lol:

7 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I mean it depends how the rest of the regular season shakes out. SCSU might not even make it to the Frozen Faceoff if they don’t get home ice, which would probably put their NCAA hopes in question. Especially if they don’t knock out some wins down the stretch. So we’ll see what happens with their upcoming games. 

Eliminating one of these fanbases from the Faceoff would be lovely lol. 

2 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Same here, which would possibly give us Omaha for two weeks in a row, which would be the same scenario for St. Cloud / Duluth.  Could get ugly. 

8 hours ago, AJS said:

Really looking at it, I put Western / St. Cloud / Omaha in the "all in" 2021/2022 category. All three will lose a lot after this year. Up to this point, only Western looks the part. St. Cloud given their past few years, you'd think would be in National Title or bust category. Regular season and where they finish doesn't really matter as long as they make the tournament. Strategically, this would have been a good year to get young. 

Omaha only carried 3 over, their seniors have yet to exercise their optional year. They carried a defenseman and 2 forwards. Regardless, I think they should "changer the oil" after this year...

16 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Omaha only carried 3 over, their seniors have yet to exercise their optional year. They carried a defenseman and 2 forwards. Regardless, I think they should "changer the oil" after this year...

Based on how each program reports, I did find it difficult to see who was truly in their 5th / Grade year vs just a regular Senior. I actually was basing my comment on the incredibly small (3 or 4 players) Freshman classes those three teams had / the % of returning players from last year. The same can probably be said for St. Cloud / Western. I'm not sure how many guys truly are out of eligibility after this year. Maybe these schools decide to go "all in" one more year. I will stick with my original statement that I think we see a huge roster turnover for those three teams after this year. 

14 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-will-be-shorthanded-for-colorado-college-series?fbclid=IwAR1KGZMeQulZ-5IOZdGY6VLYN6Xb7a4EYeQvjy9MTAmxlxYT5AK97o6lonA

Injury update for this weekend:

Hain - OUT
Senden - OUT
Sanderson - OUT
Jamernik - MAYBE
Ferner - MAYBE
Budy - IN

Sounds familiar ... 

On 2/7/2022 at 8:30 AM, The Sicatoka said:

This weekend we could be short:

Budy (until he's not a scratch, he's not available)
Hain
Senden
Jamernik

Sanderson
Ferner

... and anything we don't know about ... 

Let's see, 27 man roster, but 23 skaters, down potentially 6, leaves 17. That's not a full (12F/6D) card. Awesome. 

Can Casey Johnson skate 4th line RW? 

28 minutes ago, AJS said:

Based on how each program reports, I did find it difficult to see who was truly in their 5th / Grade year vs just a regular Senior. I actually was basing my comment on the incredibly small (3 or 4 players) Freshman classes those three teams had / the % of returning players from last year. The same can probably be said for St. Cloud / Western. I'm not sure how many guys truly are out of eligibility after this year. Maybe these schools decide to go "all in" one more year. I will stick with my original statement that I think we see a huge roster turnover for those three teams after this year. 

I honestly believe it's a matter of what they have in the pipeline, you don't want to push off opportunity for "average". Looking at us, we have seen a couple slip away based on choices "for right now" versus a year or two down the road. I commented on this before, the NCAA didn't do anyone any favors by bottling up talent and raising the dam levels. Put that together with the transfer portal and you have the perfect storm of "who's on first".

11 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Anyone have any feedback about the ticket buying process for the Vegas game? I'm a little leery of the "best available seats" option. Can you ask for different seats than what the computer picks? 

You'll get to pick your own seats despite what it says.

2 hours ago, Blackheart said:

That's our fanbase after giving up another two goal lead last weekend...

I agree with that.  UMD gave up a two goal lead to SCSU and dropped a point in the shoot-out Tuesday night.  Must have been the coaching. Oh, it was Sandy, so it was obviously the goalie's fault.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

The computer picked best available for me too, but there was a "change" button. I was running out of time (had a tee time 10 minutes later) and my credit card was initially denied so I didn't try it.

Actually, if you hit the change button it asks you if you want to accept or release the tickets, then if you say release, it brings you back and you start all over and it just gives you the same seats unless someone else has taken them.   I find it odd that you would put on your seating chart "The End UND Shoots Twice"  when you can't change your preference to that end.  I'm like you, got tickets, but really not happy at all about sitting at the opposite end that I want to sit.  Some people do go for the game along with the other fanfare.