SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

I think if Jamernik and Senden are both out, may need to think about moving Costantini off that top line to center the 2nd or 3rd line so we can keep Ness on the 4th line. Hate to suggest it, but we are running low on guys who have played center. Otherwise I’d suggest double shifting Ford. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

This weekend we could be short:

Budy (until he's not a scratch, he's not available)
Hain
Senden
Jamernik

Sanderson
Ferner

... and anything we don't know about ... 

Let's see, 27 man roster, but 23 skaters, down potentially 6, leaves 17. That's not a full (12F/6D) card. Awesome. 

Can Casey Johnson skate 4th line RW? 

What would Michigan do?

Today's Standings:
Team Gm Pts
DU 16 38
UND 16 33
WMU 16 32
UMD 14 24
UNO 16 19
SCSU 14 19
CC 16 14
Miami 16 6

I'm looking at staying top four (home ice).

UND has a 14 point lead over UNO and SCSU. 
Put another way, 14 points is 5 games (yes, yes, I'm being loose with the numbers, not considering OT scenarios). 

For UNO or SCSU to catch UND, they have to be 5 games (15 pts) better down the stretch.

Let's assume UND struggles mightily and goes 2-6 in the final 8.
SCSU with 10 games left would have to go 7-3; UNO with 8 left, 7-1. 

Let's assume UND goes 4-4 in the final 8.
SCSU with 10 games left would have to go 9-1; UNO with 8 left, couldn't make up the ground.  

Two under the W column against CC this weekend would make home ice very difficult for SCSU or UNO. 

• Upvote 1

For those unsure, UND is three games up on UMD. 

UMD would have to win three more games (and get the tie breaker) than UND down the stretch. But UMD has 10 games to do it in. 

If UND goes 4-4, a 7-3 UMD gets it done (assuming the tie breaker goes their way). 

Frankly, I'm hoping UMD/SCSU "split out" their remaining 4 games head-to-head.

It would hang each with 2 losses in their final 10 games and help UND's home ice charge immensely. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Today's Standings:
Team Gm Pts
DU 16 38
UND 16 33
WMU 16 32
UMD 14 24
UNO 16 19
SCSU 14 19
CC 16 14
Miami 16 6

I'm looking at staying top four (home ice).

UND has a 14 point lead over UNO and SCSU. 
Put another way, 14 points is 5 games (yes, yes, I'm being loose with the numbers, not considering OT scenarios). 

For UNO or SCSU to catch UND, they have to be 5 games (15 pts) better down the stretch.

Let's assume UND struggles mightily and goes 2-6 in the final 8.
SCSU with 10 games left would have to go 7-3; UNO with 8 left, 7-1. 

Let's assume UND goes 4-4 in the final 8.
SCSU with 10 games left would have to go 9-1; UNO with 8 left, couldn't make up the ground.  

Two under the W column against CC this weekend would make home ice very difficult for SCSU or UNO. 

Denver is a lock (almost) for first, mathematically it’s possible to finish 2nd/3rd.

Western Probably has better odds at 2nd than UND only because of our injuries. With everyone healthy and back (after CC) we are even odds with Western for a 2nd or 3rd place finish, in my opinion.

Duluth would be the favorite for 4th but they will be beating up on St Cloud or the other way around. Those two play each other 4 times in the remaining 8 games. I would say they will face each other 7 times in the next 5 weeks because they are likely to finish 4th and 5th. Also Duluth plays UND and Miami while St Clown plays Western and CC.

My picks on March 11: Miami travels to Denver, CC to UND or Western, Omaha to Western or UND and the Clowns and Dogs play somewhere, probably Duluth. 

Then there is Omaha, who cares? We need to sweep them at their place but even a split with them is OK if we sweep CC and spit with Duluth and Western. 

4 minutes ago, mattim said:

Duluth would be the favorite for 4th but they will be beating up on St Cloud or the other way around. Those two play each other 4 times in the remaining 8 games.

Those two have ten games remaining each. 

They're doing some "midweek specials" (Tuesday nights) to make up for a weekend lost to Covid. 

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/schedules/team/Minnesota-Duluth/36/20212022
https://www.collegehockeynews.com/schedules/team/St-Cloud-State/52/20212022 

Yes, SCSU travels from Denver this weekend and has to play UMD (at SCSU) tomorrow night. And then SCSU hosts Western Friday. Ouch. 
Better/worse (depending on your POV)?
SCSU plays at Omaha Feb 18/19, then plays UMD (at SCSU) on Tue Feb 22. 

Duluth, goes to SCSU Tuesday, then to Denver for the weekend. Ouch.
Tue Feb 22 Duluth goes to SCSU, then on to Miami. 

I don't see either of those schedules doing favors for UMD or SCSU. 

23 minutes ago, mattim said:

Denver is a lock (almost) for first, mathematically it’s possible to finish 2nd/3rd.

Denver is 14 points (5 games) up on UMD. Tall, tall order for UMD to be 5 games better than DU down the stretch. (And UMD is not a regular season team; they do enough to get in, then they turn it on.) 

DU is up 2 games on WMU and UND. Doable given head to head games remaining (WMU plays both), but if someone were to do it I'd bet WMU.

WMU basically has full control of their destiny: Win out, hang banner. Same for Denver. UND would need help.  

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Those two have ten games remaining each. 

They're doing some "midweek specials" (Tuesday nights) to make up for a weekend lost to Covid. 

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/schedules/team/Minnesota-Duluth/36/20212022
https://www.collegehockeynews.com/schedules/team/St-Cloud-State/52/20212022 

Yes, SCSU travels from Denver this weekend and has to play UMD (at SCSU) tomorrow night. And then SCSU hosts Western Friday. Ouch. 
Better/worse (depending on your POV)?
SCSU plays at Omaha Feb 18/19, then plays UMD (at SCSU) on Tue Feb 22. 

Duluth, goes to SCSU Tuesday, then to Denver for the weekend. Ouch.
Tue Feb 22 Duluth goes to SCSU, then on to Miami. 

I don't see either of those schedules doing favors for UMD or SCSU. 

Just like playing Omaha without Sanderson did us no favors.   

There's also a sizable difference between spots #14 / #15 in the PWR. UND's still in pretty good position right now, because they control their own destiny. This isn't they have to win out type of control your destiny. It comes down to two key things. (1) Sweep CC this weekend. (2) Need split the remaining.

That would do two things (1) Give them Top 3 spot in the standings, which is crucial (2) Cement their current #12 / #13 spot in the pairwise.