SiouxSports.com Forum

The NCAA's. UND vs. Duluth

Wilbur

The reality of sports is that the best team doesn't always win.   In college hockey very seldom does the number one overall seed win the whole thing. 

On a separate note for years UND fans have complained that BC always had an easy path to a Frozen Four by getting to always go through Worcester in their backyard.   This goes to show that just having a regional in your backyard is a guaranteed ticket to a Frozen Four, you need some puck luck as well.

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It is up to the athletes themselves whether to come back or not.

Yes but the coach has a lot of input to the player if they are ready or not.  I thought what Monty did was selfish and self serving with Terry and the rest that stayed that year to try win a Natty.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Umass looks like a solid, all-around team playing well at the right time, like us in 2016. Duluth is far from a shoo-in in Pittsburgh.

They also come in with a little unfinished business as well remembering their last meeting. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

The reality of sports is that the best team doesn't always win.   In college hockey very seldom does the number one overall seed win the whole thing. 

On a separate note for years UND fans have complained that BC always had an easy path to a Frozen Four by getting to always go through Worcester in their backyard.   This goes to show that just having a regional in your backyard is a guaranteed ticket to a Frozen Four, you need some puck luck as well.

I don't think this was an example of an interior team beating a much better team. Both teams were/are solid with few real weaknesses.

• Upvote 3

The good news from yesterday?

We now have a group of players that know first hand how deep within themselves they have to, need to, look and dig for excellence.

One more rep, one more lap, one more takes on a new meaning. 

Talent is good; will is greater.

Will it so. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Kudos the Scheels Arena staff. Let adults be adults. Everyone of them was welcoming,  cordial and professional. No Jody's Jabronis at this event.

Totally agree. Did a great job with the ice too. No issues whatsoever 

As time passes, I think I'll look back and be really happy that I had the chance to be in that arena until 1am, but right now it just feels like the worst loss in a long list of painful ones.

Really felt like that was going to be our experience to make up for the BU heartbreak. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, franchise said:

As time passes, I think I'll look back and be really happy that I had the chance to be in that arena until 1am, but right now it just feels like the worst loss in a long list of painful ones.

Really felt like that was going to be our experience to make up for the BU heartbreak. 

People are tired of postseason stumbles. It just wears on fans after awhile. I don't think you are the only one.

41 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

People are tired of postseason stumbles. It just wears on fans after awhile. I don't think you are the only one.

Postseason stumbles are going to happen unless you win the NCAA title every year. Or don’t make the tourney at all. 

Just now, brianvf said:

Postseason stumbles are going to happen unless you win the NCAA title every year. Or don’t make the tourney at all. 

UMD has 9 straight NCAA tournament wins. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Losses, sure.

But it's the type of losses.

.1 vs UNH

.6 vs MN

Dominating, yet losing to Michigan

2OT vs BU

5OT vs UMD

So painful

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

We have had way too many of those over the past 20 years, considering the talent that has come through this program during that time. And if Duluth wins it again, you can throw out the tired old "parity" argument.

1 hour ago, franchise said:

Losses, sure.

But it's the type of losses.

.1 vs UNH

.6 vs MN

Dominating, yet losing to Michigan

2OT vs BU

5OT vs UMD

So painful

I bet there are fans of many fan bases that could give their top 5-6 worst loses. UND no different. Every year that you make the playoffs and don’t win a Championship OT sucks. Happens to 15 other teams every year.   

• Upvote 4