SiouxSports.com Forum

The NCAA's. UND vs. Duluth

Wilbur

Just now, Godsmack said:

Worst night of sleep in as long as I can remember. Took forever to fall asleep and when I did, kept thinking about that goal and the what if’s. Stinging loss but so incredibly proud of the players and coaching staff for battling back and how hard they played. Proud to call myself a North Dakota fan. 

Same. Just feel for the guys. A crap year (outside of hockey) and they came back with a goal. Did well all season and looked poised to be able to make a DEEP run, but of course ran into the buzz saw that is Duluth. I didn’t like that draw when they announced the bracket and last night was why. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Let's put the blame squarely where it belongs, the NCAA. 

Seriously, tough loss but so are all of them that end promising seasons.  Just glad to always be in the mix. Easy to take that for granted. 

FYP

Truly incredible effort by both teams last night.  After going toe-to-toe for 2.5 games, anyone could have won it.

Heartbreaking watching UND lose twice last night.

Terrible feeling knowing that a 48-11-5 record the last two seasons produced one NCAA playoff win against college hockey titans, the American International Bumblebees.

Sandy 12-1 in last 13 NCAA playoff games.  One Massachusetts team between him and Duluth's shot at a fourth straight title game.

Had really anticipated the Fargo, North Dakota Regionals in 2015 (UND), 2017 (Duluth), 2019 (Denver), and 2021 (Duluth) to be a bigger boon for UND's frozen four chances.

Every player has eligibility next year, right?  Unfinished business??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Kudos the Scheels Arena staff. Let adults be adults. Everyone of them was welcoming,  cordial and professional. No Jody's Jabronis at this event.

When did they stop serving alcohol? Was wondering if it would get to the point where their license doesn't allow service after 11 pm or something like that.

10 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

5-2 in NCAA tournament games? Small sample size but I don’t know how much tolerance there will be if there’s any more down seasons like 17-18 and 18-19. Hakstol never won the big one but he brought sustained success for the program. Fans got use to making the tournament every year. Berry isn’t at Hakstol level of choking yet but man it’d sure be nice to have same level of NCAA tournament success that Duluth has under Sandelin.

Good assessment.  However Hakstol's teams were notoriously slow starters and took half a season or more to get going.  They had the luxury of doing that because the parity that exists today was just starting to emerge then.  With the parity that exists today some of those teams probably don't make the tournament in today's environment. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Kudos the Scheels Arena staff. Let adults be adults. Everyone of them was welcoming,  cordial and professional. No Jody's Jabronis at this event.

Not necessarily, there was a fight between two fans near the press area. 

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

When did they stop serving alcohol? Was wondering if it would get to the point where their license doesn't allow service after 11 pm or something like that.

54 minutes ago, Goon said:

Not necessarily, there was a fight between two fans near the press area. 

Obviously not soon enough but I believe midnight.

2 minutes ago, snooty89 said:

These Fargo Regionals haven't really been friendly to us.  

I told someone last night that maybe UND should hold off holding anymore regionals for a while. The ice was horrendous in Scheels arena. 

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Sanderson is the most mesmerizing player with the puck on his stick that I have seen in 20+ years. 

The Ottawa Senators Forum is drooling over both Sanderson and Kleven.  Their feeling is Sanderson will be possibly better than Cale Makar and Kleven is going to be a shutdown defenseman with very good O zone skills.  I am pretty that next year is the last year we will see these two defenseman in a UND uniform.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, siouxnatty#8 said:

The Ottawa Senators Forum is drooling over both Sanderson and Kleven.  Their feeling is Sanderson will be possibly better than Cale Makar and Kleven is going to be a shutdown defenseman with very good O zone skills.  I am pretty that next year is the last year we will see these two defenseman in a UND uniform.  

What is the word on JBD and Pinto.  I'm guessing they will both sign very soon if they already haven't.

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Truly incredible effort by both teams last night.  After going toe-to-toe for 2.5 games, anyone could have won it.

Terrible feeling knowing that a 48-11-5 record the last two seasons produced one NCAA playoff win against college hockey titans, the American International Bumblebees.

Sandy 12-1 in last 13 NCAA playoff games.  One Massachusetts team between him and Duluth's shot at a fourth straight title game.

Had really anticipated the Fargo, North Dakota Regionals in 2015 (UND), 2017 (Duluth), 2019 (Denver), and 2021 (Duluth) to be a bigger boon for UND's frozen four chances.

The players that are ready should move on to next level.  The younger players that need to should stay and develop.  We need to have room to bring in our recruits and develop them.  We have a good corps of young players for next season.  Berry is going to have decide if he brings back any seniors but I doubt they will bring any back.  You have to look at what is best for the people sometimes not just the program.  Most of the seniors even the role players may have a very good living awaiting them playing in NHL, Sweden, Switzerland etc.  Berry will do what is best for the people and the program.

Just now, siouxnatty#8 said:

The players that are ready should move on to next level.  The younger players that need to should stay and develop.  We need to have room to bring in our recruits and develop them.  We have a good corps of young players for next season.  Berry is going to have decide if he brings back any seniors but I doubt they will bring any back.  You have to look at what is best for the people sometimes not just the program.  Most of the seniors even the role players may have a very good living awaiting them playing in NHL, Sweden, Switzerland etc.  Berry will do what is best for the people and the program.

I may be different but I cringe when I see kids that are ready to take the next step to the NHL stay in a program just to try to win a championship for that program i.e. Denver when Monty didn't push his NHLers out of the nest.

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Umass looks like a solid, all-around team playing well at the right time, like us in 2016. Duluth is far from a shoo-in in Pittsburgh.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I may be different but I cringe when I see kids that are ready to take the next step to the NHL stay in a program just to try to win a championship for that program i.e. Denver when Monty didn't push his NHLers out of the nest.

It is up to the athletes themselves whether to come back or not.