SiouxSports.com Forum

The NCAA's. UND vs. Duluth

Wilbur

Just Win Baby!!!

Seemed pretty clear that UND knew they were in control after the first period and backed off to save legs. I never noticed, did Gaber come back into the game? Any word on him? Hope everyone is ready to step it up and kick some A$$ tomorrow. F the Dawgs!

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Just Win Baby!!!

Seemed pretty clear that UND knew they were in control after the first period and backed off to save legs. I never noticed, did Gaber come back into the game? Any word on him? Hope everyone is ready to step it up and kick some A$$ tomorrow. F the Dawgs!

Gaber came back and played

A little history here:

Back in the 80's and before, the Frozen Four played a semifinal game on Thursday and the other Semifinal game on Friday with the championship game on Saturday. After analyzing the stats they decided to move both semifinal games to Thursday because they discovered that the Thursday winner ended up winning over 65% of the championship games no matter their seeding due to the extra day of rest. 

This concerns me about the game against Duluth Saturday. They have had the rest whereas UND has not. Of course Sandelin was whining that they didn't get to play to prepare his team for the final but really? Who wouldn't take a walkover in a national championship tourney.

But due to a 4-0 lead I think this game was well managed by the coaches and except for Gaber no one got hurt. They ran four lines the entire game which I am hoping helps them with Saturday's game.  

Time to stop hearing about the two time defending champ by beat Duluth tomorrow!

Only played UMD twice this season, both in the Pod. One was the shootout loss and the other the 2-1 win where Mismash scored in the final minute. 
Both games we were missing Sanderson and Kleven for the WJC. 

Should be a tight game tomorrow. Hopefully UMD is rusty and UND jumps on them early/often. 

• Like 1

Coaches mixed and matched a ton with top 5 d men yesterday.  Seems like they all got shifts together at some point.

Feel for Bast being a senior and all, but I've got to imagine limited minutes for him today.  Can't allow him to be out against Koepke's line in a one and done situation.  

5 hours ago, Stack said:

A little history here:

Back in the 80's and before, the Frozen Four played a semifinal game on Thursday and the other Semifinal game on Friday with the championship game on Saturday. After analyzing the stats they decided to move both semifinal games to Thursday because they discovered that the Thursday winner ended up winning over 65% of the championship games no matter their seeding due to the extra day of rest. 

This concerns me about the game against Duluth Saturday. They have had the rest whereas UND has not. Of course Sandelin was whining that they didn't get to play to prepare his team for the final but really? Who wouldn't take a walkover in a national championship tourney.

But due to a 4-0 lead I think this game was well managed by the coaches and except for Gaber no one got hurt. They ran four lines the entire game which I am hoping helps them with Saturday's game.  

Time to stop hearing about the two time defending champ by beat Duluth tomorrow!

I think body conditioning has changed a lot since then has it not? 

• Upvote 1

Now that the game is over and I see how it went with UND taking control early and putting it on cruise control the rest of the game, I am kind of glad they got to play and adjust to regional ice. The one disadvantage is UMD is a top heavy team relying heavily on 9 forwards and 4 D so there is no doubt they benefit greatly from not having to play what I preseived to be a hard fought tight contest in which they would have inevitably had to roll with those 12-13 players playing big minutes. 

• Upvote 1

In any other year with the Conference Tournament being the weekend before the NCAA playoffs, I would say having a bye on a Friday would be a good thing however this year with the extended timeframe I’m not sure. Duluth hasn’t played a game in 12 days. Up until last night, UND hadn’t played in 11 days.

• Upvote 4

One thing I think people miss about the bye that BC and UMD get is not only the fresh legs but the ability to make it to the regional final without any injuries as evident by what happened to Gaber last night. Imagine if he was not able to come back in. That is huge for UMD and BC. 

What happened with ND and Mich underscores how challenging this season must have been for the boys and the entire staff and how they met that challenge.   To be college age and to successfully abide by Covid protocol for close to a year, including summer, is not an easy task.   They don't get to play the games if they don't win that one first. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

Last change is huge for this team with the depth they have. These men are highly conditioned and are used to playing games on back to back nights. UMD should be worried.

Last change will definitely be a factor as we can match lines with the Koepke line.  Senden being out is an issue as he will not be able to be out against Koepke line.