SiouxSports.com Forum

The NCAA's. UND vs. Duluth

Wilbur

1 minute ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

And more so than that, look at the fan bases that suffer the years upon years of missing out. Middle of the pack guys (and put your bias aside for a moment) like Western and Omaha and Bemidji and the like. Their pain is different and nothing they can control. At least we have that culture and draw and fan base to pull the best recruits and carry that swagger into any rink in this country confident that we will play the game at the highest level..

Good points. Doesn't make last night hurt any less though. :sad:

• Like 1

And even though they hurt because they are season-enders, they are also seldom, if ever, for the championship.  Winning these games just gets us to another possible painful loss.

Like another said, it hurts cause it ends the season - no matter when it is. 

I'll add, if these were all championship games, then we'd really feel luck against us.

• Upvote 3

I must say it’s been a little therapeutic reading posts in this thread after spending most of the day trying not to think about the outcome of last night/this morning or college hockey in general. Just want to say thank you to the many members of SiouxSports that share your thoughts here. Quite a few of them has helped lessen the pain a little. Still gonna be a bit before I get over this one though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HockeyFan22 said:

And even though they hurt because they are season-enders, they are also seldom, if ever, for the championship.  Winning these games just gets us to another possible painful loss.

I'll add, if these were all championship games, then we'd really feel luck against us.

Yep.  Look at Michigan's NCAA Tournament history since their last title:

1999 - OT loss in Regional Final

2000 - Regional Final beatdown

2001 - Frozen Four loss 

2002 - 1-goal Frozen Four loss

2003 - OT Frozen Four loss

2004 - OT loss in Regional Final

2005 - Regional Final loss where they blew a 3rd period lead

2006 - Curb-stomped by North Dakota at the Ralph

2007 - Curb-stomped by North Dakota in Denver

2008 - OT Frozen Four loss

2009 - Upset by Atlantic Hockey Champ 

2010 - 2OT loss in Regional Final

2011 - OT National Championship Loss

2012 - OT loss in Regional Semifinal

2016 - Loss in Regional Final where game tied in third peroid

2018 - Frozen Four loss where they blew a 2-goal lead

2021 - Covid forces them to drop out.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

Yep.  Look at Michigan's NCAA Tournament history since their last title:

1999 - OT loss in Regional Final

2000 - Regional Final beatdown

2001 - Frozen Four loss 

2002 - 1-goal Frozen Four loss

2003 - OT Frozen Four loss

2004 - OT loss in Regional Final

2005 - Regional Final loss where they blew a 3rd period lead

2006 - Curb-stomped by North Dakota at the Ralph

2007 - Curb-stomped by North Dakota in Denver

2008 - OT Frozen Four loss

2009 - Upset by Atlantic Hockey Champ 

2010 - 2OT loss in Regional Final

2011 - OT National Championship Loss

2012 - OT loss in Regional Semifinal

2016 - Loss in Regional Final where game tied in third peroid

2018 - Frozen Four loss where they blew a 2-goal lead

2021 - Covid forces them to drop out.

There would have been torches and pitchforks here!

1 hour ago, SiouxFanatic said:

I must say it’s been a little therapeutic reading posts in this thread after spending most of the day trying not to think about the outcome of last night/this morning or college hockey in general. Just want to say thank you to the many members of SiouxSports that share your thoughts here. Quite a few of them has helped lessen the pain a little. Still gonna be a bit before I get over this one though.

Agreed. Always find it helps to read posts from other fans after a season ending loss.

Rough endings this year as a Packer and Sioux fan

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Thanks for helping your fellow fans that cut (or never had) the cord. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, franchise said:

I was at 3 of them. I wasn't far removed from hernia surgery when .6 happened and I still almost went. Very glad I didn't 

Definitely Be glad you didn’t. My friends made me sit by the Gopher fans that were seated next to our group of tickets  because I am the most “trash talky” of our group. They were not nice people. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HockeyFan22 said:

The 01 loss to BC that prevented our first ever repeat is my most painful. Made the trip to Albany and after the incredible third period comeback thought we had all the momentum and no way we would lose in OT.  Wasn't meant to be. 

05 loss to Denver was right there too.

7 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

The 01 loss to BC that prevented our first ever repeat is my most painful. Made the trip to Albany and after the incredible third period comeback thought we had all the momentum and no way we would lose in OT.  Wasn't meant to be.

The 01 loss was similar to last night.  If the OT would have been played right after the third period ended (rather than an intermission and ice cleaning), I bet UND wins both games.  You know both BC and UMD were deflated to have it tied up when they were up 2-0 so late in the game.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I can explain in two names (both Avs) why another year of college is never a bad idea:

Cale Makar

I don't understand the Makar reference. The kid went from UMass straight to NHL playoffs where he scored 6 points in 10 games. Followed that up with 50 points in 57 regular season NHL games plus 15 points in 15 playoff games in 2019-2020 season. This season he has 19 points in 21 games.

14 minutes ago, mikejm said:

I don't understand the Makar reference. The kid went from UMass straight to NHL playoffs ... 

After his ... sophomore year. 

Many were calling for him to leave after his freshman season. The second collegiate year was hugely beneficial. 

On 3/28/2021 at 8:33 AM, Oxbow6 said:

Sanderson is the most mesmerizing player with the puck on his stick that I have seen in 20+ years. 

And he should only get better next year. You could see how much more comfortable he was by the end of the year, jumping up into the play. Next year could be just insane to watch him.

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

After his ... sophomore year. 

Many were calling for him to leave after his freshman season. The second collegiate year was hugely beneficial. 

and Makar was 20 and turned 21 shortly after the start of his first full NHL season. Jake doesn't turn 19 until this summer.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ubish said:

This exactly.  We'd trade anything to have had 1/10th of your success.  WMU is rarely in the NCAAs, and we've never won a game when we've been in.  It's literally been nothing but an occasional conference championship and some pretty close "almost" moments.  

Enjoy what you have. 

Thanks 'bish. (Call I call you 'bish? I feel like we have a good vibe. :) )

Occasionally UND fans need a reminder of the legacy of success ... 

1957-58 
1962-63
1964-65
1966-67
1978-79
1979-80
1981-82
1986-87
1996-97
1997-98
1998-99
2000-01
2003-04
2008-09
2010-11
2014-15
2015-16
2019-20
2020-21

What's that?
Regular season conference (WCHA or NCHC) championships. 

Closing thought:
Two NCAA titles (59, 00) came in years without a conference regular season title; the other six came with (63, 80, 82, 87, 97, 16)

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Occasionally UND fans need a reminder of the legacy of success ... 

And ...

1958-59

1962-63

1979-80

1981-82

1986-87

1996-97

1999-00

2015-16.

What other program has had a NCAA championship winning-team play play games in seven consecutive decades: 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s?  Don't think you'll find anyone else with more than 4.

Pretty impressive continuity for UND.

2 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

The conference titles were all in the best conference in college hockey.  

I am actually pulling for SCSU to win it all this year, even though they are on my top 5 most hated college hockey team list.  The reason: 4 different champions in 5 years from the NCHC would be pretty awesome.  

But, as long as it isn't UMASS, I am fine.  :D

Completely agree.  

I hate all the NCHC teams until UND is out.  Then I just want all the natty titles in the conference.  

Hoping Huskies 1st, Dawgs 2nd

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3