SiouxSports.com Forum

The NCAA's. UND vs. Duluth

Wilbur

5 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

A lot of high end coaches I know preach this:  you simply can’t control how many you score, but you can absolutely control how many you let in.  It’s this idea of a perfect coaching game winning.   I believe the players win the game, and you play to win

Whatever Sandy preaches only works when it truly matters apparently....  

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

What exactly would you have done as a coach? Cut their legs off and replaced them? This has nothing to do with coaching. It not like the offense wasn’t flicking and didn’t have chances? Looked like we were going to be up 15 seconds in. This is how hockey goes sometimes.

Doesn't seem to be an issue Sandelin has had as much in big games.  With all of the talent UND had on this team, not making the Frozen Four is the equivalent of Alabama not making the BCS final four in football. 

5 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Doesn't seem to be an issue Sandelin has had as much in big games.  With all of the talent UND had on this team, not making the Frozen Four is the equivalent of Alabama not making the BCS final four in football. 

I think we are seeing more parody in college hockey.  It's tough to win 4 in a row in a one and done tourney.

Just now, siouxnatty#8 said:

I think we are seeing more parody in college hockey.  It's tough to win 4 in a row in a one and done tourney.

The only parody is Berry trying to match strategy with Sandelin.  As for parity, maybe so, but that doesn't seem to be affecting Duluth the last 10 years in big games.  

• Upvote 1

A healthy Senden and Mismash would have been nice. 

Can’t believe Duluth played UND close and tight all year in each game  

And the fact that they keep on winning those close games grinds my gears. 

I’m assuming BC and Minnesota win tomorrow.  Add Duluth already in the frozen four and have those 3 teams at the FF makes me sick.

7 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

The only parody is Berry trying to match strategy with Sandelin.  As for parity, maybe so, but that doesn't seem to be affecting Duluth the last 10 years in big games.  

The game could have gone either way in OT, if UND would have scored you would be singing Berry’s praises. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, crb1 said:

The game could have gone either way in OT, if UND would have scored you would be singing Berry’s praises. 

UND played not to lose a good portion of the game minus Sanderson eventually saying the h*ll with it and trying to create on his own the last couple of OTs.  Very good coach, very nice guy, record in big games is on the verge of becoming very concerning.  

I thought JBD could have poked checked the puck before he shot it but who am I to say.  Duluth player used him as a bit of a screen and thats a wrap.  Really disappointing but the sun comes up again tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

One and done is tough to win it all.  I think most of us knew this was going to be a tough game as did Duluth.

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Well 20 to 25 years is half of our "adult" lives.

Not necessarily a "sprint" for us who want to be alive to watch them.

For a program who has amassed over 8 NC compared to 3. I think we are doing something right. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, crb1 said:

Probably not in the last 5 years. 

Look at BU and Wisconsin who are loaded this year with high draft picks and are both done just like us.  There will be a season again next year and we will reload and return some goood players.  For soe players it is time to move on.

13 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

UND played not to lose a good portion of the game minus Sanderson eventually saying the h*ll with it and trying to create on his own the last couple of OTs.  Very good coach, very nice guy, record in big games is on the verge of becoming very concerning.  

5-2 in NCAA tournament games? Small sample size but I don’t know how much tolerance there will be if there’s any more down seasons like 17-18 and 18-19. Hakstol never won the big one but he brought sustained success for the program. Fans got use to making the tournament every year. Berry isn’t at Hakstol level of choking yet but man it’d sure be nice to have same level of NCAA tournament success that Duluth has under Sandelin.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

UMD could already be halfway to UND championship total in just the last 10 years.

UMD hasn’t won anything yet this year but a trip to the frozen four. You’re getting ahead of yourself there. 

2 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

5-2 in NCAA tournament games? Small sample size but I don’t know how much tolerance there will be if there’s any more down seasons like 17-18 and 18-19. Hakstol never won the big one but he brought sustained success for the program. Fans got use to making the tournament every year. Berry isn’t at Hakstol level of choking yet but man it’d sure be nice to have same level of NCAA tournament success that Duluth has under Sandelin.

This is a fair and realistic post. Agreed.