SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

44 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Were the masks inhibiting their abilities?

Of course they do. I have a couple Under Armour athletic masks designed for athletes/runners and while it certainly is up for debate whether I am still an athlete there has never been a doubt that I am not a runner. While they are more comfortable and easier to breath through than most masks I think it is safe to say that anything that reduces the flow of air/oxygen for an athlete will inhibit an athletes abilities.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Some players wear that "neck collar". 

I wonder if you could create a gaiter that is Kevlar-infused that could serve the dual role of mask and neck protector. 

I probably just gave away my million dollar idea. ;)

We have these from a few vendors.

192300_BK_F

Haven't had much call for them yet....but we do more corporate than team apparel.

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Of course they do. I have a couple Under Armour athletic masks designed for athletes/runners and while it certainly is up for debate whether I am still an athlete there has never been a doubt that I am not a runner. While they are more comfortable and easier to breath through than most masks I think it is safe to say that anything that reduces the flow of air/oxygen for an athlete will inhibit an athletes abilities.

Maybe UND needs to practice with masks on before they go to Denver every year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

10 games in the "bubble" between Thanksgiving and Christmas then return home for series beginning in January. Fans are not expected to be allowed starting in January.  S@#t Show continues into 2021...…..awesome.

• Upvote 1

Think about the lost revenue for UND from the possibility of no fans. Season ticketholders are going to be asking for their money back as soon the official announcement happens if it is true there will be no fans allowed this season. When do these institutions stop slashing their own throats?

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Where did it say that? Article just stated no fans in the "hub".

I didn't even read that article.  Got my information somewhere else. Not saying no fans starting in January is set in stone from what I heard but that's the current leaning.

35 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I didn't even read that article.  Got my information somewhere else. Not saying no fans starting in January is set on stone from what I heard but that's the current leaning.

There is currently multiple plans in place. They will get as many in as they are allowed too. Limited and/or lack of fans will not be on the REA or athletic department decision.

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

There is currently multiple plans in place. They will get as many in as they are allowed too. Limited and/or lack of fans will not be on the REA or athletic department decision.

Who suggested they would be to blame?

My point is I don't know a single season ticket holder who hasn't had enough of this.......dating back to last season. Disingenuous to think people are going to throw thousands of dollars towards an athletic department for nothing in return. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Who suggested they would be to blame?

My point is I don't know a single season ticket holder who hasn't had enough of this.......dating back to last season. Disingenuous to think people are going to throw thousands of dollars towards an athletic department for nothing in return. 

There are hundreds of schools in the country in the exact same boat. Nothing you're saying is lost on anyone involved. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

There are hundreds of schools in the country in the exact same boat. Nothing you're saying is lost on anyone involved. 

Again...........these schools have to take the knife away from their necks. Most are their own worst enemies. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Again...........these schools have to take the knife away from their necks. Most are their own worst enemies. 

But they aren't the ones calling the shots. Their hands are tied.

On top of that, ask NDSU how selling tickets during a pandemic goes. Hint - Demand was a fraction of what they expected, and that was before they pulled the rug out from those who wanted to attend. 

Also, not sure if you've looked around the stands at college athletics in the state, but the average fan definitely falls into one of the high-risk categories whether it be age or "health".

That being said, they should be able to be at 50% capacity without any issue assuming people are willing to have different seats for the season in exchange for fans being allowed in the building. Hopefully their plan is better than NDSU's "sit wherever you're comfortable" idea.

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

On top of that, ask NDSU how selling tickets during a pandemic goes. Hint - Demand was a fraction of what they expected, and that was before they pulled the rug out from those who wanted to attend. 

Also, not sure if you've looked around the stands at college athletics in the state, but the average fan definitely falls into one of the high-risk categories whether it be age or "health".

That being said, they should be able to be at 50% capacity without any issue assuming people are willing to have different seats for the season in exchange for fans being allowed in the building. Hopefully their plan is better than NDSU's "sit wherever you're comfortable" idea.

Some college football teams are having some large crowds. I love it. At least it’s progress and they’re trying. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Valid points but UND has no say in any attendance decision making come January?  Who is then making that decision? NDHD? County health department? Mayor Bo?

50% would be great. IMO attendance at the Ralph won't be close to that yet those fans who want to attend need to have the option to do so.