SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

10 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Duncan had an office like Ovi.  Goalies knew he was setting up at the circle and they knew he was going to shoot short-side upper.  They still couldn't stop it.  That DOT line had Mr. Electric in Osh, Mr. I am always in the right spot and end up with the puck Toewser, and Mr. Wrister in Dunc.

Watching the old games, I was reminded how Oshie had that lumbering stride.  He even looked heavy on his skates, yet he could cover ground.  

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Duncan had an office like Ovi.  Goalies knew he was setting up at the circle and they knew he was going to shoot short-side upper.  They still couldn't stop it.  That DOT line had Mr. Electric in Osh, Mr. I am always in the right spot and end up with the puck Toewser, and Mr. Wrister in Dunc.

Obviously he was helped majorly by his linemates, but people often forget that Dunc could flat out beat a goalie from all over the ice. He was a helluva player.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Obviously he was helped majorly by his linemates, but people often forget that Dunc could flat out beat a goalie from all over the ice. He was a helluva player.

The fact his linemates are incredible NHL players REALLY, REALLY helped him get into those positions for those shots. Goalies had to sh&t themselves knowing Oshie and Toews were bearing down on them.

2 minutes ago, shep said:

The fact his linemates are incredible NHL players REALLY, REALLY helped him get into those positions for those shots. Goalies had to sh&t themselves knowing Oshie and Toews were bearing down on them.

Let's give Ryan some credit. I believe if he was bigger that he would've had a shot in the NHL. Although his linemates are unquestionably great players, he still had to bury the chances he got. You couldn't just put anyone with Toews and Oshie and expect them to produce like Duncan did.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shep said:

No doubt, but he still buried. Kid could snipe.

3 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Let's give Ryan some credit. I believe if he was bigger that he would've had a shot in the NHL. Although his linemates are unquestionably great players, he still had to bury the chances he got. You couldn't just put anyone with Toews and Oshie and expect them to produce like Duncan did.

Perfect example was Andrew Kozek. Koz probably had the hardest wrist shot I have ever seen in college hockey, but didn't score nearly as much as Dunc and played a lot with Oshie. Dunc just found a way. 

14 hours ago, burd said:

Watching the old games, I was reminded how Oshie had that lumbering stride.  He even looked heavy on his skates, yet he could cover ground.  

I loved that there was always a bounty out on Oshie.  Every team had a guy that was gonna be the first guy to knock Oshie on his ass with a big hit to prove it could be done.

And we all know how that turned out for those guys. :lol:

44 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I loved that there was always a bounty out on Oshie.  Every team had a guy that was gonna be the first guy to knock Oshie on his ass with a big hit to prove it could be done.

And we all know how that turned out for those guys. :lol:

I remember someone saying it was like hitting a bag of cement.

2 Hits I remember were the play with Prosser where they are going in after a puck and go shoulder to shoulder and next thing you know Prosser looks like a cartoon flying through the air.

The other one I remember was at Mariucci Arena and UND is coming up ice out their own end and one of our defensemen throws a bad pass into Oshie's skates and he has his head down and doesn't even see Wehrs has him lined up and a 3 or 4 stride run at him and at contact Wehrs goes flying towards the boards and Oshie keeps heading up ice and looks back like you would check your mirror to see if you ran over a squirrel.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Who wants to wager on season start date? 

Exactly.  UND is poised to have one of the best teams of all time...but will we even have a season?  I'm seriously wondering whether or not NCAA sports will be allowed by Fall.

28 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Local economies are starting to open up and today is April 17. The NCAA has too much to lose to not have fall / winter seasons. Lastly, we cannot hide from this forever because if we do there will be nothing to go back to and I am not talking about sports.

I agree.  IMO, the US economy has to be back in full swing by Fall in order to avoid absolute financial disaster, and that means concerts and sports must resume.  However, I don't make these decisions, and I'm not at all certain that restrictions on mass gatherings won't last until next year, or whenever a vaccine becomes available.

Having said that, the upcoming ND team as a whole is as deep as I've ever seen (and I've been following for "a few years").  Would be a damn shame if we don't get to see them play a full season.  

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

NCAA just said no sports on campus if students aren't there as well. Can't imagine dense urban campuses like NYU, BU, GWU, UPenn, etc. opening in the fall. Will be interesting to see it unfold.

I think it would be smart to re-evaluate where we are at 30 days from now. A lot changes on a daily basis these days.

2 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

I think it would be smart to re-evaluate where we are at 30 days from now. A lot changes on a daily basis these days.

I have 5/1, 5/15, and 6/1 as the 3 possible re-entry dates for some major projects at work.  Even if its 6/1, that 3 months before school starts again...that's enough of a runway.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, petey23 said:

I remember someone saying it was like hitting a bag of cement.

2 Hits I remember were the play with Prosser where they are going in after a puck and go shoulder to shoulder and next thing you know Prosser looks like a cartoon flying through the air.

The other one I remember was at Mariucci Arena and UND is coming up ice out their own end and one of our defensemen throws a bad pass into Oshie's skates and he has his head down and doesn't even see Wehrs has him lined up and a 3 or 4 stride run at him and at contact Wehrs goes flying towards the boards and Oshie keeps heading up ice and looks back like you would check your mirror to see if you ran over a squirrel.

Every time I think of a big hit from Oshie, this is the one I think of.  I think my nephew and I were at this game and saw that hit and we were both like HOLY SHYT 

• Upvote 1

https://www.uscho.com/2020/04/21/mens-d-i-college-hockey-conferences-making-plans-for-possible-shortened-season-in-2020-21/

I know this is very low on priority with everything that is going on...but man, it'd be a damn shame to kill the end of one season and the beginning (or most) of the next season.  Especially as UND fans when the team showed so much potential for a title in 19/20 and again for 20/21 with everyone committed back.  As I said, I know there are far more important problems to tackle first before we resume some sort of normal life...just makes me sad thinking about what could have been.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://www.uscho.com/2020/04/21/mens-d-i-college-hockey-conferences-making-plans-for-possible-shortened-season-in-2020-21/

I know this is very low on priority with everything that is going on...but man, it'd be a damn shame to kill the end of one season and the beginning (or most) of the next season.  Especially as UND fans when the team showed so much potential for a title in 19/20 and again for 20/21 with everyone committed back.  As I said, I know there are far more important problems to tackle first before we resume some sort of normal life...just makes me sad thinking about what could have been.

Between USCHO and CHN, there must be some sort of reward for being the first to cancel next season.  Progress is happening fast and the entire world is focused on finding a way through this so what's the obsession with prematurely smothering any hope to produce "content" and get some site traffic?  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Between USCHO and CHN, there must be some sort of reward for being the first to cancel next season.  Progress is happening fast and the entire world is focused on finding a way through this so what's the obsession with prematurely smothering any hope to produce "content" and get some site traffic?  

I wish I shared your confidence, but I do share your opinion that all of the doom and hope smothering is not good for anyone.

• Upvote 1