SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

13 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I definitely disagree with it being situational. Teams with strong depth play all four lines more evenly than those with less depth. By matching lines, you can keep your team fresh and not lose scoring opportunities with whomever is in the ice. Our best teams had tremendous depth and evened out playing time as much as possible. 

Being able to have a guy like Weatherby centering the fourth line late in a game against a team's top line who is gassed or their less talented fourth line is a clear advantage to us.

I think he's just stating that you don't just go 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4 like a Mite scrimmage.  I agree that it allows you to get the matchups you want if more of your legs are fresh because you've been rolling.  It also helps when coming off special teams a ton!

2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I think he's just stating that you don't just go 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4 like a Mite scrimmage.  I agree that it allows you to get the matchups you want if more of your legs are fresh because you've been rolling.  It also helps when coming off special teams a ton!

I never said that, though lol. "Rolling four lines" to me, means having the depth to not have to play only the Top 6 players. Keeping players fresh and not losing much in terms of scoring punch from top to bottom.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I never said that, though lol. "Rolling four lines" to me, means having the depth to not have to play only the Top 6 players. Keeping players fresh and not losing much in terms of scoring punch from top to bottom.

Totally.  When your 1st and 2nd lines are better, your checking line can shut down, and your 4th line can hold its own against an opponent's top line, you win a lot of games...

• Upvote 2

Just now, yzerman19 said:

Totally.  When your 1st and 2nd lines are better, your checking line can shut down, and your 4th line can hold its own against an opponent's top line, you win a lot of games...

Exactly what I was saying. Which is why I think having Weatherby at his natural position, even if it's in a bottom six role, is big for this team.

25 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

If Spirko stayed for (4) years we would have had to win a natty one of the next (2) years.  He was a sophomore in the lineup above.

What's crazy is there was only a single Senior in that entire lineup (Prpich).  Imagine that group the following year with the addition of Chay Genoway and Chris VandeVelde.  

Duncan had an office like Ovi.  Goalies knew he was setting up at the circle and they knew he was going to shoot short-side upper.  They still couldn't stop it.  That DOT line had Mr. Electric in Osh, Mr. I am always in the right spot and end up with the puck Toewser, and Mr. Wrister in Dunc.

• Upvote 3