SiouxSports.com Forum

2020-21 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://www.uscho.com/2020/04/21/mens-d-i-college-hockey-conferences-making-plans-for-possible-shortened-season-in-2020-21/

I know this is very low on priority with everything that is going on...but man, it'd be a damn shame to kill the end of one season and the beginning (or most) of the next season.  Especially as UND fans when the team showed so much potential for a title in 19/20 and again for 20/21 with everyone committed back.  As I said, I know there are far more important problems to tackle first before we resume some sort of normal life...just makes me sad thinking about what could have been.

UConn AD was quoted as saying he would be shocked if there were Fall sports.  The big thing folks forget is the NCAA is afraid of lawsuits (I guess as they should be).  Putting students in harms way?  That spells a lawsuit to me...I obviously want everything back to normal however if there is one organization willing to string things out...it's the NCAA.  I feel like it will be the last to come back.

37 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Between USCHO and CHN, there must be some sort of reward for being the first to cancel next season.  Progress is happening fast and the entire world is focused on finding a way through this so what's the obsession with prematurely smothering any hope to produce "content" and get some site traffic?  

Cue the you need to be realistic responses. I am a little conflicted as is everybody. You need to plan for the worst clearly, but I can't help but finding what you put in bold incredibly frustrating. You say reward, I've thought of it as this backwards badge of honor that they wear. As @scpa0305 mentioned, the UConn AD has it for Athletic Directors. You know there's a handful that are chomping at the bit to "cancel" Winter sports as well. 

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Between USCHO and CHN, there must be some sort of reward for being the first to cancel next season.  Progress is happening fast and the entire world is focused on finding a way through this so what's the obsession with prematurely smothering any hope to produce "content" and get some site traffic?  

If you peruse the owner of CHN"s Twitter feed, you'll understand the sentiment.  I think some are getting way ahead of ourselves. I might need therapy if they cancel sports next fall. 

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Bad news sells. 

I emailed Val Sussex today regarding what the plan is if the season is cancelled or played without fans and got this response:

Thanks for the message. Right now we continue to prepare for the 2020-21 athletic season and greatly appreciate your loyal and generous support. Our fans are an essential part of UND Athletics and in an effort to answer questions you may have regarding ticketing/Champions Club memberships in the event the upcoming seasons are disrupted, please know that we are working diligently to provide multiple options, including refunds. We look forward to gathering again and celebrating many UND victories.

I hope that helps! You do have until May 31st to renew your season tickets and membership. Feel free to pause and wait until toward the end of May if you want to see if the NCAA comes out with any new information around the 1st of May.

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

Val

In reality, it would be worse for them than they can comprehend.

NCAA cancels hockey extreamly prematurely.... a mass exudus to signing pro deals and Canadian juniors occur.

It would be the death of college hockey, of course if it actually comes to that, it would be just a small pebble in the grand scheme of the redefinition of humanity.  (see... 5G Corona thread in Community)

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

NCAA cancels hockey extreamly prematurely.... a mass exudus to signing pro deals and Canadian juniors occur.

My same concern (among many in general right now).  If the season is delayed and/or in a precarious spot later this summer, do we see JBD, Kierstad, Kawaguchi, etc. sign pro contracts or look elsewhere to play.  To Tychonick's point, you gotta play to keep developing . . . .

8 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

UConn AD was quoted as saying he would be shocked if there were Fall sports.  The big thing folks forget is the NCAA is afraid of lawsuits (I guess as they should be).  Putting students in harms way?  That spells a lawsuit to me...I obviously want everything back to normal however if there is one organization willing to string things out...it's the NCAA.  I feel like it will be the last to come back.

Wouldn’t that be covered under each schools insurance like injuries and other illnesses?

16 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Wouldn’t that be covered under each schools insurance like injuries and other illnesses?

I don't believe so.  I have a buddy who works in insurance and he noted many companies are not setup appropriately for this. I would assume that would include other organizations as well.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I don't believe so.  I have a buddy who works in insurance and he noted many companies are not setup appropriately for this. I would assume that would include other organizations as well.

Related to this, you gotta think the NCHC might consider getting a new policy or adding a rider to their current policy that includes pandemics similar to what the R&A utilized for this summer's British Open. 

All this assuming they don't currently have this in place, but I'd guess Schloss would have reported on that if that was the case.  It sounds like their reserve fund is used for these purposes which is fine until that fund gets depleted.

On 4/23/2020 at 11:52 AM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Related to this, you gotta think the NCHC might consider getting a new policy or adding a rider to their current policy that includes pandemics similar to what the R&A utilized for this summer's British Open. 

All this assuming they don't currently have this in place, but I'd guess Schloss would have reported on that if that was the case.  It sounds like their reserve fund is used for these purposes which is fine until that fund gets depleted.

Are you guys talking about liability insurance or insurance for income lost as a direct result of natural disasters, such as the cancellation of the season?   Something like professional athletes do to insure against their own injuries.  The latter has to be very expensive. 

16 minutes ago, LuvHockey said:

So today, if allowed to open the season as scheduled on Oct 3....there are 11 more 2 weeks until the puck drops!

I hope, I hope....

remember in north dakota we measure time in two week periods now....fixed your post.

I am hopeful for the season to start as expected.  Hopefully with fans, but Nascar is starting mid-May without fans.  We will see how that goes.  If there are fans at NCAA fall/winter sports, I would expect face coverings to be mandatory at least through the end of 2020.  In regards to that, why is the Sioux Shop not selling face coverings/masks with a Dakotah Legacy logo or Fighting Hawk logo?  If fans have to go to a game with face coverings, it would be awesome to at least wear it with some pride.  Also, they could make a special face covering/mask for the Nashville game.  If we would have to wear masks to games, at least we can show some togetherness and spirit.  How about giving part, or all of the profits from the masks to the local hospitals/clinics or Red Cross?

1 hour ago, KSSioux said:

I am hopeful for the season to start as expected.  Hopefully with fans, but Nascar is starting mid-May without fans.  We will see how that goes.  If there are fans at NCAA fall/winter sports, I would expect face coverings to be mandatory at least through the end of 2020.  In regards to that, why is the Sioux Shop not selling face coverings/masks with a Dakotah Legacy logo or Fighting Hawk logo?  If fans have to go to a game with face coverings, it would be awesome to at least wear it with some pride.  Also, they could make a special face covering/mask for the Nashville game.  If we would have to wear masks to games, at least we can show some togetherness and spirit.  How about giving part, or all of the profits from the masks to the local hospitals/clinics or Red Cross?

World of Outlaws is having two races in Knoxville, IA next weekend. Speaking of hockey has anyone seen this? 

College Hockey Playing In 2020-21 May Take A Lot of Creativity

18 hours ago, Goon said:

World of Outlaws is having two races in Knoxville, IA next weekend. Speaking of hockey has anyone seen this? 

That article is a farcical bit of fancy imagination, that is now 10 days old.

As we know, hype, fact, reality and comditions change dramatically in 10 days.

The regular college hockey season Should start on time, with fans, no restrictions.

The reasons that it wont would need to be discussed in the 5G Rona thread.

...and speaking of fantasty, check out his "realigned" divisions, LOL.

Nice try CC pxp dude, but no.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Goon said:

What an asinine article. I love how 3 of the top 4 teams this year are in the same division (UND, UMD and MSUM) along with a strong SCSU team. 

• Upvote 1