SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

1 hour ago, Gma loves hockey said:

Simple philosophy about whether to wear a mask:

If you don't give a damn about anyone else, don't wear one.

If you care about other people, wear one.

Was in GF for a few days and went to EGF Hugo's last evening.  Was interesting to see 90%+ of people in there wearing masks.  It really didn't feel awkward or out of place to wear one since it was the norm in there.

It was mentioned on here that they required or requested that people wear masks into the store.  I haven't seen that anywhere else but am wondering if anyone knows if that is true.

51 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

The point was that they were supposed to have 40,000 deaths by now, if they didn’t close everything down. They have around 2,700. The “experts” were way off.  I also, for weeks, kept hearing about flattening the curve or you would see a huge spike. Sweden didn’t seem to experience that. The UK, who did shut down, did spike, at least briefly. 

• Upvote 1

I am a responsible senior citizen with extreme claustrophobia. The thought of wearing a mask is troubling but I gave it a try entering the grocery store. Couldn't do it especially after my glasses fogged up making matters worse.  Now I go get groceries during low traffic hours without a mask. 

1 hour ago, GeauxSioux said:

The point was that they were supposed to have 40,000 deaths by now, if they didn’t close everything down. They have around 2,700. The “experts” were way off.  I also, for weeks, kept hearing about flattening the curve or you would see a huge spike. Sweden didn’t seem to experience that. The UK, who did shut down, did spike, at least briefly. 

Models are not predictions of the future, they merely describe a range of possibilities.  The 40,000 figure was calculated late-March.  What actually occurred was Scandinavia wasn’t hit as hard as other parts of Europe.  Sweden’s low death rate (and lack of a spike) is a reflection of this…...as is Finland and Norway’s absurdly low numbers.

Your argument is akin to comparing North Dakota (if it didn’t lock-down) to Massachusetts.  Two completely different scenarios, with no common ground to make any meaningful assessment from.  

What we do have for valid comparisons are Finland and Norway.  These are countries similar in proximity, geography, governments, demographics and even population density.   Again, Sweden has a death rate, per capita, 6X higher than its neighbors who locked-down.     

• Upvote 2

So I just listening to the expert that modeled the IHME.  One of the main factors to predict was cell phone tracking.  Are people moving and transmitting the virus.  Seems logical but if you are from Seattle how do the assign weights of this variable for say ND and NY.  If he did assign a zero weight for ND and 100 per cent for ND the model with this variable was junk.  Now I have an understanding why the wide swings.

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

What is the source of this graph? I'm just wondering if the actual data is only through late April or if they really stopped having deaths. 

Good point I need to check. Looks like Sweden ran out of calendar.

Here’s a thought exercise. Let’s say the media never picked up on a “new” virus and it didn’t have a name. And nobody ever invoked the p-word. Instead, they just reported generically on trends, data, and observations about respiratory viruses, illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths in the aggregate.

Would 2020 just have gone down as a “really bad flu season”? I mean, who has even even paid attention every other year in modern history when such things have been  announced? Who here hasn’t just shrugged at stories of ‘norovirus on a cruise ship’ or ‘Asian flu’? We’re pretty desensitized and resilient, after all.

Yet, there are now armies of armchair epidemiologists out there who couldn’t begin to tell you how many died last year, or the year before, or in any year from any cause, but who seem to know for a fact that “this one is bad.”  Nearly none of them have witnessed it first hand, mind you. Rather it’s what they’ve heard. Over and over.

No panic. No economic upheaval. Some deaths, sure, but mostly in assisted living facilities and tightly packed urban areas. Gentle reminders to wash hands, stay home if you’re sick, see your doctor. Pharma could have quietly worked up a vaccine, and rolled it out in due course with the usual seasonal admonition to ‘get your flu shot.’ Nobody ever reads those labels anyway. “Oh, a bigger needle this year? Okay.” Or, “Two shots this time? Oh, well, what’s my co-pay?”

Maybe we can learn something about the perils of too much information in the Information Age. Maybe being human and vulnerable isn’t really the problem. Maybe putting too much information in the hands of those least equipped to deal with it is the real culprit.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Here’s a thought exercise. Let’s say the media never picked up on a “new” virus and it didn’t have a name. And nobody ever invoked the p-word. Instead, they just reported generically on trends, data, and observations about respiratory viruses, illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths in the aggregate.

Would 2020 just have gone down as a “really bad flu season”? I mean, who has even even paid attention every other year in modern history when such things have been  announced? Who here hasn’t just shrugged at stories of ‘norovirus on a cruise ship’ or ‘Asian flu’? We’re pretty desensitized and resilient, after all.

Yet, there are now armies of armchair epidemiologists out there who couldn’t begin to tell you how many died last year, or the year before, or in any year from any cause, but who seem to know for a fact that “this one is bad.”  Nearly none of them have witnessed it first hand, mind you. Rather it’s what they’ve heard. Over and over.

No panic. No economic upheaval. Some deaths, sure, but mostly in assisted living facilities and tightly packed urban areas. Gentle reminders to wash hands, stay home if you’re sick, see your doctor. Pharma could have quietly worked up a vaccine, and rolled it out in due course with the usual seasonal admonition to ‘get your flu shot.’ Nobody ever reads those labels anyway. “Oh, a bigger needle this year? Okay.” Or, “Two shots this time? Oh, well, what’s my co-pay?”

Maybe we can learn something about the perils of too much information in the Information Age. Maybe being human and vulnerable isn’t really the problem. Maybe putting too much information in the hands of those least equipped to deal with it is the real culprit.

Tell that to the average person on the East Coast, good luck.  Covid is a serious, serious problem; however it doesn’t affect this country proportionally.  Some places it's inconsequential.     

Too many people are espousing a one-size-fits-all fix based on their own personal experience and, unfortunately, often their political affiliation (left and right).   

How this will all end, I have no clue.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

You make a great point....and that's most likely how the next pandemic will go down assuming it's a non-election year.  

4 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Tell that to the average person on the East Coast, good luck.  Covid is a serious, serious problem; however it doesn’t affect this country proportionally.  Some places it's inconsequential.     

Too many people are espousing a one-size-fits-all fix based on their own personal experience and, unfortunately, often their political affiliation.   

How this will all end, I have no clue.  

One size definitely does not fit all in virtually any aspect of the USA.  The perspective and world view differs so dramatically based on where you live, where you were educated, where you grew up, your family dynamic, your income and wealth...I can go on and on...

The idea used to be that the resultant diversity made us great...well it appears what makes us great is also wrought with division, anger, and frustration.

imposing of one’s world view on others is inherently unamerican but unfortunately seems to be the order of the day.  It is fueled by ratings driven media....

now we can’t even agree on a pandemic based on interests influencing the spin and presentation of facts on both sides...

really sad state of affairs

1 hour ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Models are not predictions of the future, they merely describe a range of possibilities.  The 40,000 figure was calculated late-March.  What actually occurred was Scandinavia wasn’t hit as hard as other parts of Europe.  Sweden’s low death rate (and lack of a spike) is a reflection of this…...as is Finland and Norway’s absurdly low numbers.

Your argument is akin to comparing North Dakota (if it didn’t lock-down) to Massachusetts.  Two completely different scenarios, with no common ground to make any meaningful assessment from.  

What we do have for valid comparisons are Finland and Norway.  These are countries similar in proximity, geography, governments, demographics and even population density.   Again, Sweden has a death rate, per capita, 6X higher than its neighbors who locked-down.     

Are these the same folks who “model” global warming?  Isn’t modeling what they are doing to predict the future? 

The “experts” took the extreme in all of their modeling of the virus and scared everyone and look what we have.
It almost looks dystopian going to the grocery store. Arrows on the floor showing you which direction to walk, lines of where to stand in line, people in masks avoiding each other. There seems to be more congestion at end of the aisles this way, than there was normally.

Something just doesn’t seem right in telling well people to stay home. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Gma loves hockey said:

I hate this “zero tolerance” approach to life.  Taking this approach takes out the need to handle things on a case by case basis and actually use some critical thinking skills.

if I’m out walking my dog I don’t need a mask.  If I’m at a location and I can socially distance a mask isn’t needed and does absolutely nothing.  Watch the Cuomo clip on this where he’s advocating using masks, and he is at the desk, adequately distanced from other people, and not wearing a mask.

You must also be one of those people that have always worn a mask in the past because you care about people so much...

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Probably would have been hard not to notice 45 reefers lined up behind Bellevue and Elmhurst. 

15 hours ago, Gma loves hockey said:

The professional grade masks are the ones that are really effective.  If you really want to stop transmission put an oxygen mask over your face and carry around an oxygen tank.  Are you prepared to do that, or don't you care about people?   That's what I thought!  

22 minutes ago, tnt said:

The professional grade masks are the ones that are really effective.  If you really want to stop transmission put an oxygen mask over your face and carry around an oxygen tank.  Are you prepared to do that, or don't you care about people?   That's what I thought!  

What?! I'd be interested in learning how an o2 mask and tank is going to slow the spread.

13 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Why do I feel like I just got done listening to 1310 AM's lame afternoon show?

Hey kids.....the good news is you didn't catch Corona which you had a very high probability of being asymptomatic with.......the bad news.....since people are under stay at home orders there is a significantly higher chance that you will get abused and not have it reported.  I wonder if kids would choose door number 1 or door number 2 at this point?

• Upvote 1

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic