SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

4 hours ago, keikla said:

I saw a video clip floating around the other day of a woman who had cut a slit in the mask right over her mouth.  "It makes it so much easier to breathe!" she said.  If someone can find the clip and post it here, please do.

Take a deep breath and hold it as long as you can!

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Should I wear a condom with my wife too?  I could have Hepatitis? I haven't been tested in a long time...I mean can never be too safe right?  

This isn't the holy angel of death people.   

A handful on this board don't grasp the concept of magnitude.  You can be cautious about a situation without curling into the fetal position and quitting life.  

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

A handful on this board don't grasp the concept of magnitude.  You can be cautious about a situation without curling into the fetal position and quitting life.  

Totally agree.  Common sense isn’t so common, so some people Err on the side of paranoia and control, Others Err on the side of liberty and deal with consequences.  Life is like riding a bull, but it goes on for 80 years instead of 8 seconds.

4 hours ago, dynato said:

Here is the COVID case fatality rate vs the the 2017-18 flu case fatality rate (the worst flu in recent history). All this data is pulled from the CDC. I've also included data from NYC.gov specifically as a frame of reference. To me, this shows NYC is slowing down, but to also proceed with caution. 

Note: if you do not trust the CDC's numbers for flu or covid just ignore this. 
XynfarP.png

So you have a graph to show us NY covid deaths are much higher than the rest of the US.  Ok. 

3 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Should I wear a condom with my wife too?  I could have Hepatitis? I haven't been tested in a long time...I mean can never be too safe right?  

If the how the two were acquired and subsequently spread were even in the same zip code, your comparison might make sense.

They aren't and it doesn't.

People are free to choose to do what they want (unless of course you want to visit an establishment that has their own requirements), but pretending there isn't actual reasoning that backs why wearing masks can help is a strange stance to take.

23 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

If the how the two were acquired and subsequently spread were even in the same zip code, your comparison might make sense.

People are free to choose to do what they want (unless of course you want to visit an establishment that has their own requirements), but pretending there isn't actual reasoning that backs why wearing masks can help is a strange stance to take.

Which is why you have seen people of all ages with masks on in this part of the country from early November thru early April for decades..... 

People are free to choose.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dynato said:

The CDC also states that while there are concerns for over counting, the united states is facing 22-36% excess deaths not attributed to corona, an indicator of corona actually being heavily under counted in our health care systems. 

Possibly. Or it's an indicator the lockdowns are having a significantly negative effect on public health. Probably a combination. 

35 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Masking works a little, but is overkill.  Hence my comparison.  It’s quite possible in my life that I spread a flu to someone who spread it to someone’s great grandpa who got it and it killed them. Sorry, but I can’t live life in fear or preventing that.

I live in a suburb of the 2nd largest city in this country.  I don’t walk around in fear of acquiring or spreading covid.  I am not reckless or heartless.  

I just know we live in a biological world...  I could wrap my children in bubble wrap too, but I don’t.  

You must see the insanity of this.  The greatest, most advanced country ever to exist on earth was brought to its knees by a biological occurrence, and some people are acting like it’s 12 Monkeys or Resident Evil.  

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Possibly. Or it's an indicator the lockdowns are having a significantly negative effect on public health. Probably a combination. 

No doubt it is it is a combination, I will not argue against that. There will be more suicides and more domestic homicides. I would be willing to bet money to your favorite charity that negative effects on public health account will only account for a small sliver of the excess deaths being experienced in America. Suicide rates and domestic homicides would have to double, nearly triple to account for all of the excess deaths. To me, that idea is unrealistic until proven otherwise.

1 minute ago, dynato said:

No doubt it is it is a combination, I will not argue against that. There will be more suicides and more domestic homicides. I would be willing to bet money to your favorite charity that negative effects on public health account will only account for a small sliver of the excess deaths being experienced in America. Suicide rates and domestic homicides would have to double, nearly triple to account for all of the excess deaths. To me, that idea is unrealistic until proven otherwise.

I don't think it's all suicide, murder, and OD. People are having heart attacks and strokes by themselves. People are avoiding the hospitals and missing necessary treatment.

Just 2 weeks ago my girlfriend had to convince her aunt's family to take the aunt into the hospital. They were afraid of her catching the virus at the hospital because she has significant preconditions. After some arm twisting they took her in and found she'd had a heart attack. She'd be dead had she not gone to the hospital. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't think it's all suicide, murder, and OD. People are having heart attacks and strokes by themselves. People are avoiding the hospitals and missing necessary treatment.

Just 2 weeks ago my girlfriend had to convince her aunt's family to take the aunt into the hospital. They were afraid of her catching the virus at the hospital because she has significant preconditions. After some arm twisting they took her in and found she'd had a heart attack. She'd be dead had she not gone to the hospital. 

I'm sorry to hear that. I am happy she is alive. I assume a full recovery and they did not catch COVID while in the hospital?

To be honest, I am still going to have healthy skepticism until I see quantifying data showing something similar to typical hospital visits for XYX during covid months and non covid months. If it was an issue that hospital systems were experiencing, I'd like to believe they would already be implementing widespread information campaigns letting citizens know considering the whole "preservation of life at all costs" thing is big right now. 

7 minutes ago, dynato said:

I'm sorry to hear that. I am happy she is alive. I assume a full recovery and they did not catch COVID while in the hospital?

To be honest, I am still going to have healthy skepticism until I see quantifying data showing something similar to typical hospital visits for XYX during covid months and non covid months. If it was an issue that hospital systems were experiencing, I'd like to believe they would already be implementing widespread information campaigns letting citizens know considering the whole "preservation of life at all costs" thing is big right now. 

No covid so far. Thanks. 

As for the preservation of life at all costs, I think the decision-makers are often more focused on stopping Coronavirus at all costs. Unfortunately those 2 aren't necessarily the same thing. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

No covid so far. Thanks. 

As for the preservation of life at all costs, I think the decision-makers are often more focused on stopping Coronavirus at all costs. Unfortunately those 2 aren't necessarily the same thing. 

I agree with that. All I know is that I want more information from our decision makers. Why they made certain decisions and when, based on what metrics/thought process. And preferably for it not to be found in their book 10 years down the road. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

1 hour ago, dynato said:

The amount of death caused by the lockdown is probably relatively small.  'Extra death' rates generally correspond to Covid peaks and valleys.  If the lockdown is significantly contributing to extra death figures, would not the rate of extra death resemble a slow incline over time as people become more desperate, uncared-for, poor, angry, and isolated?  This is not happening though.  Not anywhere.    

This isn’t just an American phenomenon. Countries all over the world are experiencing increases in excess deaths that roughly correlate to Covid rates; even countries that implemented little or no lock-down restrictions (Sweden, Netherlands).  Interesting rough analysis:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/04/16/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

The amount of death caused by the lockdown is probably relatively small.  'Extra death' rates tend to correlate to Covid peaks and valleys.  If the lockdown is significantly contributing to extra death figures, would not the rate of extra death resemble a slow incline over time as people become more desperate, poor, angry, ill-cared for and isolated?  This is not happening though.  Not anywhere.    

This isn’t just an American phenomenon. Countries all over the world are experiencing increases in excess deaths that correlate to Covid rates; even countries that implemented little or no lock-down restrictions (Sweden, Netherlands).  Interesting rough analysis:

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2020/04/16/tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

We can look at categories where death has decreased too. In times of economic downturn, that the mortality rate generally decreases. Despite suicides, overdoses, and homicides increasing. It is widely founded that economic downturn decreases deaths due to less automotive accidents, air quality improvements, less workplace injuries, and small impacts like people drinking and smoking less since they cannot afford to. Granted we have economic downturn + pandemic, but the same principle should apply. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0277953617304495

1 hour ago, dynato said:

We can look at categories where death has decreased too. In times of economic downturn, that the mortality rate generally decreases. Despite suicides, overdoses, and homicides increasing. It is widely founded that economic downturn decreases deaths due to less automotive accidents, air quality improvements, less workplace injuries, and small impacts like people drinking and smoking less since they cannot afford to. Granted we have economic downturn + pandemic, but the same principle should apply. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0277953617304495

That's quite fascinating, something I never bothered to look into......the counter-intuitive relationship between health and recession. 

Currently reading a study about Europe's 2008 economic downturn.  The reduction in mortality was more prominent in the countries where the recession was most severe.  Per the standard.    

28 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

We ran out of testing plates and the state lab has a backlog of 5000 plus tests.

#smartrestart

What are you personally looking for in these numbers? I'm curious. 

If ND did 5000 tests today and 157 came back positive what would that do for you other than pointing out like Forum Communications that the 157 positives is a new single day high in the state?

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If ND did 5000 tests today and 137 came back positive what would that do for you other than pointing out like Forum Communications that the 157 positives is a new single day high in the state?

He is hoping for big results from this batch of tests.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8286345/UKs-work-blueprint-Hot-desking-banned-no-sharing-pens-canteens-closed.html

The UK starting to formulate possible work restrictions for the summer.  People over 70, pregnant women, and the severely obese could be required to work from home.  Just being tossed around the UK for now but I'd suggest that the just one-lifers on this board start plowing in calories or else they might have to leave their house before football season if the US follows suit. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If ND did 5000 tests today and 157 came back positive what would that do for you other than pointing out like Forum Communications that the 157 positives is a new single day high in the state?

Oh I'd just like to see the percentage of positives continue to trend downwards. If we are going into this blindly is it really a smart restart?

15 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Oh I'd just like to see the percentage of positives continue to trend downwards. If we are going into this blindly is it really a smart restart?

Blindly??? How much daily and accumulative data do you need?  Again just curious.