SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

27 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

What?! I'd be interested in learning how an o2 mask and tank is going to slow the spread.

It isn't filtered, so your droplets aren't getting out. By the way, there have been studies on the negative effects of wearing masks, especially for kids.  

14 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Here’s a thought exercise. Let’s say the media never picked up on a “new” virus and it didn’t have a name. And nobody ever invoked the p-word. Instead, they just reported generically on trends, data, and observations about respiratory viruses, illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths in the aggregate.

Would 2020 just have gone down as a “really bad flu season”? I mean, who has even even paid attention every other year in modern history when such things have been  announced? Who here hasn’t just shrugged at stories of ‘norovirus on a cruise ship’ or ‘Asian flu’? We’re pretty desensitized and resilient, after all.

Yet, there are now armies of armchair epidemiologists out there who couldn’t begin to tell you how many died last year, or the year before, or in any year from any cause, but who seem to know for a fact that “this one is bad.”  Nearly none of them have witnessed it first hand, mind you. Rather it’s what they’ve heard. Over and over.

No panic. No economic upheaval. Some deaths, sure, but mostly in assisted living facilities and tightly packed urban areas. Gentle reminders to wash hands, stay home if you’re sick, see your doctor. Pharma could have quietly worked up a vaccine, and rolled it out in due course with the usual seasonal admonition to ‘get your flu shot.’ Nobody ever reads those labels anyway. “Oh, a bigger needle this year? Okay.” Or, “Two shots this time? Oh, well, what’s my co-pay?”

Maybe we can learn something about the perils of too much information in the Information Age. Maybe being human and vulnerable isn’t really the problem. Maybe putting too much information in the hands of those least equipped to deal with it is the real culprit.

Considering the increase in the overall death rate across the globe over the last 2 months, I think someone might have eventually figured out there was something out of the ordinary going on beyond a "really bad flu season" especially as things started ramping up in the spring when the flu season is winding down. And while the answer will never be known, the current death total is with various levels of preventative action across the globe from severe lockdowns to increased social distancing, so it is tough to know what would have happened if there extra steps would have been taken. But that's just my 2 cents.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Considering the increase in the overall death rate across the globe over the last 2 months, I think someone might have eventually figured out there was something out of the ordinary going on beyond a "really bad flu season" especially as things started ramping up in the spring when the flu season is winding down. And while the answer will never be known, the current death total is with various levels of preventative action across the globe from severe lockdowns to increased social distancing, so it is tough to know what would have happened if there extra steps would have been taken. But that's just my 2 cents.

We'd probably be looking at a few hundred thousand "mysterious" deaths in the US and an even more widespread panic.  The coronavirus would still exist whether the media covered it or not.  

4 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

We'd probably be looking at a few hundred thousand "mysterious" deaths in the US and an even more widespread panic.  The coronavirus would still exist whether the media covered it or not.  

Right, but our days wouldn't have changed at all and we would've kept going as a country, much like every other year.  

The University of Washington model is currently predicting 38 deaths in ND from coronavirus by August. 

From 2014 to 2017, ND averaged roughly 150 deaths per year from flu/pneumonia.

I realize this is not the same experience of those in the NY metro area and perhaps the northeast in general, but it would be interesting to see how other states compare to ND in this regard.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Gma loves hockey said:

Simple philosophy about whether to wear a mask:

If you don't give a damn about anyone else, don't wear one.

If you care about other people, wear one.

Saw this online in a meme so I can't take credit for it:

If masks work, why do businesses need to be closed?

If they don't work, why are we forced to wear them?

I'll give you a minute.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I'll give you a minute.

... and how long will people need to wear them?   If we are still dealing with this in 2022 like some have projected, will they continue to wear them until then, and if they don't are they heartless?  

1 hour ago, tnt said:

The professional grade masks are the ones that are really effective.  If you really want to stop transmission put an oxygen mask over your face and carry around an oxygen tank.  Are you prepared to do that, or don't you care about people?   That's what I thought!  

Expressing the extreme and calling it the norm is the poorest form of debate

Dr. Scott Gottlieb

Former FDA Commissioner. 

Member of White House Bio-defense Interagency Group. 

Grad NYU, Mount Sinai

Fellow of American Enterprise Institute

BOD Pfizer

“Surgical masks” (non N95) “are very helpful in preventing the spread through droplets”. 
               Twitter 

Also Gottlieb, ‘Masks help, they reduce the incremental load of transmission from droplets, the smaller load you get infected with the better the outcome’    
          CNBC interview 

If I’m a couple feet away from a Covid infected person at Lowe’s, Krogers, or the airport shuttle, and he sneezes droplets of spit, I’d prefer we are both wearing masks.  
          Common sense 

People should wear even cloth masks
       CDC and the task force

It's great for people in ND but the hospital I just walked out of had over 26 staff get infected, mostly before the ‘everyone wears mask policy’. The town has over 3,000 positives, about 90 deaths, and 428 in the ICU’s. If this research hospital wasn’t using their own produced antibody plasma things would be worse. 

The most hypocritical thing here is the guy leading the state’s social media rant for ‘social distancing and masks are an infringement on my liberty’, was in a local ICU when he died. (Fox news and local media) 

I acutely understand that the curve has been flattened, ICU’s for the most part are open, and the economy needs to open quickly.

But still not everyone has antibody plasma, a well trained staff, and Remdesivir. Two counties over they had 28 ICU admissions and lost 14 patients. So is it really that big a deal to wear a mask right now? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

Dr. Scott Gottlieb

Former FDA Commissioner. 

Grad NYU, Mount Sinai

BOD Pfizer

“Surgical masks” (non N95) “are very helpful in preventing the spread through droplets”. 
               Twitter 

Also Gottlieb, ‘Masks help, they reduce the incremental load of transmission from droplets, the smaller load you get infected with the better the outcome’    
          CNBC interview 

If I’m a couple feet away from a Covid infected person at Lowe’s, Krogers, or the airport shuttle, and he sneezes droplets of spit, I’d prefer we are both wearing masks.  
          Common sense 

CDC and the task force

It's great for people in ND but the hospital I just walked out of had over 26 staff get infected, mostly before the ‘everyone wears mask policy’. The town has over 3,000 positives, about 90 deaths, and 428 in the ICU’s. If this research hospital wasn’t using their own produced antibody plasma things would be worse. 

The most hypocritical thing here is the guy leading the state’s social media rant for ‘social distancing and masks are an infringement on my liberty’, was in a local ICU when he died. (Fox news and local media) 

I acutely understand that the curve has been flattened, ICU’s for the most part are open, and the economy needs to open quickly.

But still not everyone has antibody plasma, a well trained staff, and Remdesivir. Two counties over they had 28 ICU admissions and lost 14 patients. So is it really that big a deal to wear a mask right now? 

I couldn't agree more.  And that is exactly what they are doing with Coronavirus when it pertains to North Dakota.  

18 hours ago, Gma loves hockey said:

Simple philosophy about whether to wear a mask:

If you don't give a damn about anyone else, don't wear one.

If you care about other people, wear one.

Simple philosophy about Fighting Sioux hockey:

If you don’t give a damn about anyone else, don’t go to a game ever again.

If you care about other people, give me your season tickets.

I’ll even wear a mask if it helps you sleep at night.

12 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

This isn't directed at you but it just reminded me of something I've seen a ton of on social media that makes me chuckle:
People rail on the experts (CDC/WHO/etc) and their models for being inaccurate but then in their next breath, turn around a cite something like this. Just further proves that people only believe experts when it is convenient for their confirmation bias.

The CDC/WHO models said millions "could" die if steps weren't taken. This study says that suicides "could" increase 32% in Michigan due to the handling of CoVid19. Both are possible outcomes given the data input into a model, which improve with time and more information available.

11 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

Dr. Scott Gottlieb

Former FDA Commissioner. 

Grad NYU, Mount Sinai

BOD Pfizer

Twitter 

CNBC interview 

Common sense 

CDC and the task force

My point with my post was that if masks work and the prevent the spread, shouldn't businesses be allowed to open provided they require people to wear masks?  Places are already requiring them (Costco, Menards, etc).  Let these small businesses have the same opportunity to be open with safety precautions that these big box stores are awarded. 

Yesterday a gentleman yelled at me on my way into our small town grocery store, “Ahh man, you don’t need to wear that mask!” Then he shouted the name of his preferred political candidate.

I kindly reminded him, “My wearing a mask is not politically motivated. My doctor wears one, his nurses wear them, and since one of my kids has asthma and his doctor “prescribed” we parents wear them when in public, we wear them when in public and close quarters with others.

Sure experts disagree all the time, and anyone can find the experts with their preferred opinion. BUT when the experts I trust to care for my family make a suggestion that they too are following,  I take heed.

Edited by siouxwalk
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

So Taco Bell has two positive cases and fired both of them for not working their shift?

Taco Bell needs to understand their COVID workers aren't the reason people who frequent get sick!

31 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I'll give you a minute.

It might be that people are man people refuse to wear masks.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

This isn't directed at you but it just reminded me of something I've seen a ton of on social media that makes me chuckle:
People rail on the experts (CDC/WHO/etc) and their models for being inaccurate but then in their next breath, turn around a cite something like this. Just further proves that people only believe experts when it is convenient for their confirmation bias.

The CDC/WHO models said millions "could" die if steps weren't taken. This study says that suicides "could" increase 32% in Michigan due to the handling of CoVid19. Both are possible outcomes given the data input into a model, which improve with time and more information available.

And once again, new policy was adopted and our country was turned upside down for the worse by the WHO's projection that "millions" could die.  Nothing is being done about suicide and abuse. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Agreed....my point is that the only models/predictions that have been used are those that support the argument of closing down the economy.  There has been literally next to no effort to look at the overall picture and take into account all positives and negatives which would benefit the US as opposed to the manufactured hysteria currently overtaking the country.  

Even the naysayers will acknowledge that Covid-19 deserves attention and a certain level of safeguards (mostly  for elderly and people in high density areas).  However the same can't be said for those that have gone all in on Covid-19.  With that crowd it is stay inside for the next year, all business should stop, and the government should just keep printing and handing out $2000 a month to everyone indefinitely.  There is no compromise with that segment.  

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Taco Bell needs to understand their COVID workers aren't the reason people who frequent get sick!

Luckily it was the Grand Forks Taco Bell.  Since they only push about 3-4 cars an hour through the drive thru contact tracing should go quickly.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

Little sensative? 

Not at all but definitely agree with your comment from yesterday that no one ever suggested you were overly intelligent. Just stay in your lane from here on out.

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Not at all but definitely agree with your comment from yesterday that no one ever suggested you were overly intelligent. Just stay in your lane from here on out.

His Lane = wear a mask, stay home while doing it, or I will die.