SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

https://www.geisinger.org/health-and-wellness/wellness-articles/2017/03/22/14/40/heres-why-you-should-cut-back-on-hand-sanitizer

I haven't heard much about using too much hand sanitizer lately.  In the past we were warned using too much could compromise your immune system, so one has to wonder with all this washing and sanitizing if we aren't going to be more vulnerable to other things in the future.  

Cue an executive order temporarily banning hand sanitizer in 3..2...1...

Inside my stats in CA:  cases still ticking up due to testing.  Hospital admits for CV19 just fell off a cliff!  Discharges 2:1 over admits.  This is a great sign.  Again considering it’s probably 10-14 days from infection to an admission, we are probably a good 2 weeks post real concern.  Plus homeless and SNF folks have nowhere to discharge to at present, and those populations appear to be driving the positives out there.  I believe in CA we are post pandemic and dealing with a flu at this point...no more public health concern for the masses, just the vulnerable...plus we were 90 and sunny all weekend, frying up that little virus!  Let’s Go! 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Inside my stats in CA:  cases still ticking up due to testing.  Hospital admits for CV19 just fell off a cliff!  Discharges 2:1 over admits.  This is a great sign.  Again considering it’s probably 10-14 days from infection to an admission, we are probably a good 2 weeks post real concern.  Plus homeless and SNF folks have nowhere to discharge to at present, and those populations appear to be driving the positives out there.  I believe in CA we are post pandemic and dealing with a flu at this point...no more public health concern for the masses, just the vulnerable...plus we were 90 and sunny all weekend, frying up that little virus!  Let’s Go! 

stop being positive...more doom and gloom please.

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I just got arrested for swinging in the park.  Not sure how I'm going to explain that to the wife.  

Did you used to hold a fairly important position in the Bison Athletic Department?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

So y’all think I should be able to have my wedding as if nothing has happened in late August? Had to move it once already because of this crap. 

I'm in the same boat as you, mine is in Early September but we haven't moved anything yet or plan to until otherwise told. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm in the same boat as you, mine is in Early September but we haven't moved anything yet or plan to until otherwise told. 

Congrats.  I hope up have a prenup to continue your writeups for Basketball. :D

46 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

So y’all think I should be able to have my wedding as if nothing has happened in late August? Had to move it once already because of this crap. 

34 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

On the flip-side, will COVID-19 do anything to speed up a divorce?  Asking for a friend...

28 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

On the flip-side, will COVID-19 do anything to speed up a divorce?  Asking for a friend...

I joked to my fiancé that if we can make it through this, then we can make it through anything.

We had two weeks where we were in our apartment constantly, which got nervy towards the end,  but she has gotten back to work. 

11 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Burgum like WANTS everyone to die I guess. Amirite??

Did the NoDak Governor give any specifics on what bars, restaurants, etc. need to do or what capacity they are allowing or is that coming another day?

I'm asking because I can't find it anywhere other than the announcement that they are opening up.  

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Did the NoDak Governor give any specifics on what bars, restaurants, etc. need to do or what capacity they are allowing or is that coming another day?

I'm asking because I can't find it anywhere other than the announcement that they are opening up.  

Further details tomorrow he said.

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

Curious is the flu also disproportionately effects NYC too?

Using the 2017-18 flu season data which was particularly bad year, NYC saw a comparative 30% higher death rate than the national average. So the numbers say the flu does disproportionately impact NYC too. 

The US crude death rate for the flu in 2017-18 per 100,000: 17.1
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/mortality-dashboard.htm#

There is a lot of information to unpack here, but it is a compilation of all mortality data for NYC from 2017. Unfortunately, it does not have hospitalization data. https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/downloads/pdf/vs/2017sum.pdf

NYC Influenza & Pneumonia Deaths (2017 - Page 62): 1,985 
Crude Death Rate Per 100,000: 22.6
Total Deaths from all causes in 2017: 54,319

Hospitalizations for all of New York state for 2017-18 flu season: 23,337
Total positive flu tests: 82,884
Total Positive flu tests in NYC specifically: 45,368
https://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/influenza/surveillance/2017-2018/archive/2018-05-19_flu_report.pdf

NYC has a website dedicated specifically to recording and tracking COVID data (March 10th to April 26th). 
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

Positive Cases: 156,000
Hospitalizations: 40,050
Confirmed deaths: 11,718
Probable deaths: 5,228
Reported as COVID: 12,287
Crude Death Rate Per 100,000: 139.4

Full disclosure: I have no idea what hospitalizations are defined as. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

He hinted at 1/2 occupancy.  Made a point to call out not fully stocking the freezer expecting a full weekend.  

We will see how it goes.  Give people options. 

15 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm supposed to be in a wedding in Idaho at the end of June and I'm kinda wary of traveling. We'll see what changes over the next month here.