SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

59 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Whats with all the turkey plants having outbreaks?

15 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

My guess they have similar working conditions to the pork plants and other meat packing plants. 

However, that is just a guess and I don't have any inside knowledge. 

Nevertheless, it will be interesting to watch what happens in Willmar and see if they do go down the same path as Worthington in terms of an outbreak. 

Farming was already hurting with the pork plants going down,  turkey plants going down would be another blow. 

Many of these companies' labor force consists of migrants or H2A workers.  These workers arrive from all over the place and are provided barrack-style communal housing accommodation.    

It's a recipe for disaster.  

Agree or disagree, there are some valid points here..... "The Ripple-Effects Of The Government Lockdown Are Only Starting To Take Shape..."

You would not, in the slightest, in any kind of sane world, shut down an entire economy and lock down everything when you have a 5 per 100,000 death rate for the overwhelming share of the population.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

Agree or disagree, there are some valid points here.....https://www.zerohedge.com/health/ripple-effects-government-lockdown-are-only-starting-take-shape

You would not, in the slightest, in any kind of sane world, shut down an entire economy and lock down everything when you have a 5 per 100,000 death rate for the overwhelming share of the population.

in a country where school is canceled bc its "too cold"...not snowing or blizzarding...."too cold" i can see it yeah.

6 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

Agree or disagree, there are some valid points here.....https://www.zerohedge.com/health/ripple-effects-government-lockdown-are-only-starting-take-shape

Right- and death rate for people not 55+ and not in NY metroplex...at like 2/100,000.

it was fear of the unknown in the beginning and warranted caution.  Either that or the intel community knows something about this that they aren’t telling us.

This has exposed the soft underbelly of the service and retail industries...

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Right- and death rate for people not 55+ and not in NY metroplex...at like 2/100,000.

it was fear of the unknown in the beginning and warranted caution.  Either that or the intel community knows something about this that they aren’t telling us.

This has exposed the soft underbelly of the service and retail industries...

The average age of the U.S. House of Representatives is almost 58 years old. In the Senate, it’s nearly 63 years. It's almost as if they are making decisions based on their needs rather than the country as a whole. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Edit: From the USA Today: Cristina Cuomo says she treated her coronavirus with Clorox baths, vitamin drips: Experts react

Corona or no Corona, Clorox baths are just a good idea in general for anyone spending their nights with Chris Cuomo.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, keikla said:

Right, but when decisions were initially being made, we didn't know what that death rate would be.  Many extreme decisions were made based on early/minimal data and applied nationwide.  Can/should things be re-evaluated now?  Absolutely.  But just like the shutdowns weren't one size fits all, also the removal of restrictions shouldn't be.

I will say that I find it interesting how people manipulate stats to prove their point.  This is nothing new.  Heck, even in sports people will say "so-and-so is 11-1 in their last 12" because going back further than that would show they were 11-9 overall.  It's all about picking your data sets and ranges to make the numbers look the way you want them to.  This is not something that is political, because everyone and every side does it.  Even when reviewing new medical research, I always make a point to analyze how they manipulated the stats...who they eliminated from the study and why, what effects that exclusion likely had on outcome, did they use the appropriate statistical tests based on data type, etc..

This article is looking at deaths per 100,000 of those who are under 50 and have no comorbidities.  Nationally, roughly 1/3 adults have high blood pressure and 40% of adults >20 years old meet the criteria for obesity.  Obviously, there is likely to be a lot of overlap between those two groups but not everyone.  That's A LOT of people being excluded from the stat this article is using to show how this virus isn't a big deal.  I can't emphasize enough that I'm not saying that the lockdowns were right or wrong or now how much they should be loosened.  Especially not on a national level.  My firsthand experience showed me that the lockdown helped immensely in the heavily affected areas of NY, but NY is a different ballgame with this thing.  And even then, NY needs to find a safe way to slowly ease the grip.  I'm just pointing out that using the 5 deaths per 100,000 in the healthy under 50 group for the rationale doesn't make a ton of sense when a large portion of the general population doesn't fit into that stat.

thats fine but why should darnell who is 35 and owns his own barber shop(s) and is 6'0 175lbs and walks an hour every day of the week not be able to give a haircut to a customer because darrell who is 48 and 5'8 275lbs and watches romcoms everynight after work is "at risk"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32252338/

Thoughts from medical experts. Had a couple Doctor friends tell me people in this part of country don't get enough Vitamin D so I have been taking this for awhile, especially in winter time. 

This is just one study I came across, there are several that have shown that while D3 isn't going to prevent catching the virus, it might reduce the severity of it for some people.

Would like to hear any thought from our medical experts in this thread.

2 minutes ago, keikla said:

I didn't say that he shouldn't be able to.  In fact, I specifically said that's not what I'm saying.  What I'm saying is that I don't find the stat they used in that article to be useful or applicable to a lot of people.

sorry didn't say you...just maybe some of the govs that have lockdowns til mid june based on faulty numbers...

1 hour ago, GeauxSioux said:

Agree or disagree, there are some valid points here..... "The Ripple-Effects Of The Government Lockdown Are Only Starting To Take Shape..."

Fixed the link.

3 minutes ago, keikla said:

I've often seen throughout this thread that those who are at risk should quarantine while everyone else should be able to carry on as is.  I'm just curious how people envision the logistics of that, since that could include a rather large portion of the US workforce.  Here's a couple of scenarios I'm interested in what people think about:

1. Sally is 35yo with type 1 diabetes.  She and her dr feel that she is at risk, and she should quarantine.  She works for a company where the work could be done from home, but the employer wants people to actually be in the office for various reasons.  Does the employer have to let Sally work from home?  Does Sally have to disclose health issues (even if it's just a generic dr note) to her employer?  

2. Bob is 53 (remember, our stats on the low mortality stop at age 49) and just beat cancer a few months ago.  He is a chef at a very busy restaurant.  Obviously his work cannot be done from home, but his dr feels that he is very at risk and should quarantine.  Is Bob's employer required to still pay him when he can't come in to work?  Does he only get paid if he has available sick leave/vacation days?  He's already out of annual FMLA coverage because of his cancer treatments.  Does Bob get furloughed/fired based on his health status?  Does any of this change if it were health issues that Bob could possibly mitigate (i.e obesity, certain patients with high blood pressure)?

I'm not trying to be facetious; I'm genuinely interested in how people seeing the logistics play out.  If covid becomes an annual issue with the same deadly strain (as opposed to a weaker strain), these questions very well may need to be answered.

good questions but you can't shut down the entire world trying to answer these questions. you just can't

• Upvote 1

With the virus and the financial problems it’s causing how many universities will be tapping into their foundations and the billions in them?

will UND?

i know most money is donated for a certain project but their is also money not designated for any particular project.

27 minutes ago, keikla said:

I've often seen throughout this thread that those who are at risk should quarantine while everyone else should be able to carry on as is.  I'm just curious how people envision the logistics of that, since that could include a rather large portion of the US workforce.  Here's a couple of scenarios I'm interested in what people think about:

1. Sally is 35yo with type 1 diabetes.  She and her dr feel that she is at risk, and she should quarantine.  She works for a company where the work could be done from home, but the employer wants people to actually be in the office for various reasons.  Does the employer have to let Sally work from home?  Does Sally have to disclose health issues (even if it's just a generic dr note) to her employer?  

2. Bob is 53 (remember, our stats on the low mortality stop at age 49) and just beat cancer a few months ago.  He is a chef at a very busy restaurant.  Obviously his work cannot be done from home, but his dr feels that he is very at risk and should quarantine.  Is Bob's employer required to still pay him when he can't come in to work?  Does he only get paid if he has available sick leave/vacation days?  He's already out of annual FMLA coverage because of his cancer treatments.  Does Bob get furloughed/fired based on his health status?  Does any of this change if it were health issues that Bob could possibly mitigate (i.e obesity, certain patients with high blood pressure)?

I'm not trying to be facetious; I'm genuinely interested in how people seeing the logistics play out.  If covid becomes an annual issue with the same deadly strain (as opposed to a weaker strain), these questions very well may need to be answered.

I am in the construction industry which has been deemed essential. You are expected to work unless you are sick and/or have tested positive. Office people are working from home part of the time and in the office some if the time. People not working due to Covid are being compensated. 

12 minutes ago, Kab said:

With the virus and the financial problems it’s causing how many universities will be tapping into their foundations and the billions in them?

will UND?

i know most money is donated for a certain project but their is also money not designated for any particular project.

The University, like many others, has hundreds of millions in reserves. They are required to keep a minimum reserve level for events like this. Departments who have extra reserves will tap those to pay employees until they meet the minimum reserve level or until revenues returns to normal. Those departments which did not save extra reserves will have to look at consolidating programs, removing courses from curriculum, and adapting the remaining curriculum as needed. Those unable to work remotely will have their hours reduced in the meantime so they can claim unemployment but also maintain benefits. UND for example has successfully implemented distance/online courses prior to COVID. If they market it correctly, they are posed to come out way ahead as a viable, affordable, online program for the next generation of students. As of right now, they are planning for no growth but also no further loss in students/revenue. 

57 year old male in Fargo dies suddenly last week. Not COVID related. Family owned restaurant chef/owner. Family closes restaurant permanently shortly after his death and is selling what they can from the restaurant itself. Sad situation but in reality no one is guaranteed tomorrow. Not Sally or Bob mentioned above.

BTW 18 obituaries in Fargo Forum today. ND has 16 COVID deaths total. 

26M+ unemployed over past few weeks. Did all retain health insurance?  Obviously not. Are most of those 26M+ at a low mortality risk of COVID. My money is on yes.

Again when does the big picture and logical risk take over so we can move forward?

The Draconian measures in MN don't seem to be protecting those the measures were supposed to protect....those who are elderly and vulnerable. 23 new reported deaths in MN with all but one not from a long term care facility.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

You'll usually live longer if you do the opposite of what the government or politicians tell you.

Eat lots of carbs and stay indoors.

old-food-pyramid.jpg

Created by agricultural and ranching lobbyists...  as well as a few paid "nutritionists" of course.  Worst advice ever.

11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The Governor says quite trying to boost your immune system outside where the virus dies very quickly and get back inside where the virus spreads easier!

I can help you here - the idea is to avoid crowded areas.  You can be outside in the sun and not be at a crowded beach.  Stay at home doesn't mean stay inside your home.