SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- NDSU GDT 9/7/2019

SiouxFan100

3 hours ago, TheFlop said:

One school believes in continued excellence......and the other believes in continued mediocrity.  The gap is just as big as it was in 2015.  Bubba needs to go if UND ever wants to be more than a 6-5 or 7-4 team.

We are in a tough spot right now.  We got a late start with the DI transition,  When we finally transitioned we started off in a big hole and it's been tough to catch up.

I'm don't believe in continued mediocrity but am also not convinced Bubba can't get it turned around. 

Just now, Siouxperman8 said:

We are in a tough spot right now.  We got a late start with the DI transition,  When we finally transitioned we started off in a big hole and it's been tough to catch up.

I'm don't believe in continued mediocrity but am also not convinced Bubba can't get it turned around. 

What @TheFlop is getting at is the lack of strong leadership at UND when it comes to stuff like this. NDSU has had strong leadership since they moved up and you see what a difference it can make.

Positives: CJ is a dude. He was our best player today. Made all sorts of plays and is only a fr. The sky is the limit for him.

Rodgers was all over the place today. 

Canaday made a load of tackles.

Leach was 3 for 3 on xpts today.

Maag made some plays.

Negatives: Our team simply isn’t tough, at all. No edge, no grit, no fire. Watch how NDSU celebrates, they go crazy. 

Both lines are too small. We got pushed around a lot. The whole “every OL lose weight this off season” thing was stupid. 

Having a wr group that looks like a church league basketball team still isn’t working. Most of them can’t separate. We need better athletes on offense. 

Blubaugh, he was brutal today.

Special teams still an issue.

Tackling was rough.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I guess this is the reason I am so crabby right now. Seeing what is happening to athletics is hard to swallow, especially since I grew up following our teams and went to school during one of the most successful periods our teams have ever experienced (1993-2000). I have had my fill of NDSU and the Imperial Cass County media machine. The sooner we can punch back, the better.

I was there 82-90 with a year off in between. Went to many Bison games and we sucked. Saw the Mooney game on TV and that was all the difference in the rivalry. Still have a T-shirt that says 
"The Fargodome-the Bison built it, the Sioux own it."

We'd won I don't know how many games there.

I don't care about anything else except shutting their fat mouths. I'm sick of their sh1t and can't take it anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Old School Guy said:

Last week against Drake we looked better than we really are. This week I don't think we are as bad as NDSU made us look (at least I hope not). Next week, we better pass the test. I have said it many times as have others. Our strength program is not D-1 caliber, our nutrition program is lacking and mostly non existent. I'm not sure the staff as whole is a D-1 level staff. We beat Wyoming in 2015, our flagship win under Bubba but to date, we haven't sent anyone to the NFL. Wyoming has sent at least 6 guys to the league that played in that game in 2015. That speaks to player development.

It was 12-0 at the half, I wouldn’t call that looking good.

22 minutes ago, BigGame said:

I find the doom and gloom funny after a bad loss to a very good team.  NDSU has better personnel then many FBS schools!  I don't want to downplay the loss too much but if anyone thought we had a real chance today was fooling  themselves.  NDSU has better players at almost every position right now.  My take is probably off of most on the message board but UND can be a very good football team this season if some things get corrected.  We are very erratic on defense, most of the big run plays were directly related to guys not playing consistent gap control defense. This is a very fixable issue!  On offense, we had a fairly large number of plays in which the timing was off by a lot.  Also a very fixable issue!  I think we will see improvement going forward! 

I wouldn't call is doom and gloom. I think most hoped (I) after rushing for what was it 5 yds in 2015 against NDSU and getting handled, we'd be more on par with NDSU 4 years later. Its reality.  We'll see how we measure up next week. NDSU is a FBS level opponent right now.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SlowHand said:

1.  Nobody beat NDSU last year, so UND is in that group right now.  Dont sweat this loss, it was unfortunate but expected.

2. Next week is critical to the rest of this year.

3. Bubba may not be the answer.

4.  The mascot/hockey picture is real.

#4 is terrible......stupid.....whoever gave that to the bird or if the bird did that himself.....wow.  

I support both sports but it just makes the line in the sand that there is between the two much sports that much thicker......

All irritating things aside, very impressed with Trey Lance, his skill, his athleticism, his ability to read a play and his execution.

Would love to see us get someone even close to that. Nothing against the QBs on our roster, but the past few Bison QBs are just a different caliber.

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Can I get a show of hands in who still believes in Bubba as the head of the FB program?

Unable to watch or listen to the game but I 100% agree bubba has had his time.  Lost faith in him nearly three years ago when he thought keeping Rudy was a great idea. This game cemented the fact that und/ bubba is not ready for big time.   6 years prove that.  Bubba is, I believe, 5-14 vs top 25 teams....with only 2 of those teams making the playoffs that year.  So in other words ....und can beat teams that don’t make the playoffs.  People will argue that in the last 8 years most teams that line up against ndsu lose.....which is true .....but unds lack of competitiveness in these games is glaring.  Physical teams are unds nemesis.  Should never be.  Und lived and died by that motto of being physical.  The Missouri valley is filled with this the ndsu type of team......punch you in the mouth ....win it in the trenches!  Und will play one more year of the “no D” big sky (Weber is the exception) than it’s off to a week after week after week of this style of game.  Bubba isn’t ready for it 

In conclusion....the reality hit hard today that und isn’t ready.   I feel with the big sky schedule this team has enough talent to make a run for possible post season play.   After today’s debacle ...I see 3 for sure losses (ndsu, Weber, e wash) 3 others up in the air.

• Upvote 2

I’m sorry guys and gals but Bubba is not our answer. He just isn’t at D1 coach. UND needs some alumni to step up and help contribute some money for higher salaries for the coaching staff otherwise we will be stuck in this situation year after year. We just don’t have high caliber coaches and it shows and it has to hurt our recruiting as well. I also agree that we need to look harder at our strength and conditioning coach or coaches. 

• Upvote 1

Let’s relax a little bit. I’m as frustrated with the loss as anyone, but the season is early and we are young and will get better. Looking at the predictions on the other thread most everyone expected us to lose...we did and now people want changes? 

Our talent is getting much better and we are a young team. We need to perform well this year and make the playoffs to set us up to be ready for the valley. 

Offense - had its moments, we need a burner at wr...like last year it doesn’t work against good teams to have 3 wr on the field with the exact same skill set. 

Defense - was most disappointed in this today, I thought we would be much much better against the run, our fits were bad and dbs took bad angles all day, several sat and waited for the action to come to them. 

Special Teams - we need to punt it further, no returns but the kicks were short  

I believe our injuries today hurt us more than we know, Holms is our best db and would have been a factor today and would have allowed us to get some other guys off that field that were struggling. 

ndsu did to us what they do to so many others, let’s clean up some things and go on a run. 

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

You're my football guru, if Kett is healthy does he go or do we ride out Zimm?

It’ll be several weeks before Ketteringham is healthy so I imagine we have to ride with Zimmerman for awhile.

Grover is not a long-term option and they want to retain shirt on Schuster. UND needs speed on edge so have to keep Boltmann out there.

Zimmerman should get better. He’s only had one start (today) and it was against No. 1 FCS team in the Fargodome. I expect his timing with Wanzek, Maag, Toivonen, etc. to improve with more game reps. 

With all that said, the running game hasn’t got going these first two games and that is most concerning to me. Offensive line needs to play better. None of the 3 starting RBs have jumped out, either; each is OK in certain situations (JJ short yardage, McKinney on edge, etc.) but none are all around every down backs. 

The defense was not awful today, but the lack of ability to contain the QB run game was their downfall. They should look better against Sam Houston State at home, but getting Holm and Jer Dominique back healthy for that game will be key. SHSU will be slingin’ it around the Alerus. UND will need to get good pressure on their QB. SHSU running game won’t be near as good as NDSU’s.

• Upvote 2

I am not hitting the panic button yet. We lost to the best team in the country. They’ve beaten us by that margin before even when we were essentially equals (1995 playoff game).  Lopsided victories happen sometimes. Biggest disappointment to me was that I thought our offense would be capable of more. Season is young, and we throttled the easiest team in the schedule, and got throttled by the best. Good learning experience for everyone. Glad we’re going to see these guys every year, because that’s how we’ll learn how to beat ‘em. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Hindsight is 20/20: scheduling these games was stupid and benefitted UND in no way other than to show how far away they are.

I agree that hindsight is 20/20 but don’t agree with the rest. 

Why should UND not play the No. 1 FCS team in the country, never mind their longtime rival only 70 miles away? 

Like said before, if you want to be the best, you must beat the best. UND is currently not able to be the best. That is simply all we learned today. Let’s try it again next year and the next year and so on until we finally arrive. 

The UND folks who regret that we played NDSU this year and in 2015 are just scared of reality. They don’t want to embrace the fact that UND is NOT under competent leadership currently and also is NOT moving with a significantly positive trajectory.

Implicitly, perhaps, you all support mediocrity. UND cannot ascend mediocrity if it does not play the best and ultimately beat the best. It did not happen today. UND is not the best. That is what we learned. Re-group, keep playing, and try again. That is the nature of competent competition.