SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- NDSU GDT 9/7/2019

SiouxFan100

But back to the game thread.

You are better than you were in 2015.

You tacked very well out in space. If you wouldnt have you would have gotten rolled.

The only time there was missed tackles was towards the end of the game which happens to most teams we play after being pounded on by bigger players.

The D sold out on playing the run all game. No half time adjustments.  Terrible decision. That did not put you in a position to be successful unless the coaches figured you didnt have the talent to play it any other way.  Either way It was baffling. IMO

Bubba will not take you to the promised land.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Jones outplayed Stick in the preseason in my opinion, but you think beating out Jones is a huge accomplishment?

An FCS QB beating out Cardale Jones, a QB who beat Alabama and led his team to a national championship? Yes, I do think it’s an accomplishment. 

20 minutes ago, bison73 said:

You tacked very well out in space. If you wouldnt have you would have gotten rolled.

The only time there was missed tackles was towards the end of the game which happens to most teams we play after being pounded on by bigger players.

The D sold out on playing the run all game. No half time adjustments.  Terrible decision. That did not put you in a position to be successful unless the coaches figured you didnt have the talent to play it any other way.  Either way It was baffling. IMO

No halftime adjustments is Bubba's trademark.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Exactly. I think that was the point Sioux>bison was making. 

I made a simple comment about our QB play which I didn’t think was controversial in the slightest, I made no inferences about what that meant in terms of NDSUs “powerhouse” status. You changed the goalpost not me. 

Youre arguing with yourself, not me.

7 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I made a simple comment about our QB play which I didn’t think was controversial in the slightest, I made no inferences about what that meant in terms of NDSUs “powerhouse” status. You changed the goalpost not me. 

Youre arguing with yourself, not me.

I’m not arguing with you. It seemed like you misinterpreted what the other poster said so I tried to clarify.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

It only took an opposing fan one time to see the obvious.   Bubba doesn’t have it 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

We are not better than in 2016 or 2017 or heck even in 2018. The team this year doesn’t have elite FCS talent at very many positions like we had in the past and Danny at the helm of the offense just makes this team look better than we have for talent.

I do think we tackled better in the first half and most of the initial contacts took them down. Second half must have worn us down because we couldn’t stop a fly. I do wonder how the game would have went if Trey was not as crazy mobile as he is. 

I agree Bubba might not be the best long term but I don’t think we can afford to lose Schmidt or Danny otherwise we will be building from the ground up once again.

1 hour ago, Ozzie82 said:

An FCS QB beating out Cardale Jones, a QB who beat Alabama and led his team to a national championship? Yes, I do think it’s an accomplishment. 

Once you get to the NFL there is no more FCS or FBS. You can’t compare Stick to Jones success years ago at Ohio State. Stick could be just as irrelevant in 4 years as Jones if he is even still on a team. Remember Stick could have beat Alabama too.

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

This comment won’t age well. Stick has the smarts and the attitude to be a backup in the nfl for a decade.

That sounds like a tempered goal to be a backup for a decade. Didn’t know Bison fans knew how to be humble. If you don’t think Stick has the smarts and attitude to be a STARTER one day there is a good chance he won’t be in the league for a decade let alone a few years.

20 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

That sounds like a tempered goal to be a backup for a decade. Didn’t know Bison fans knew how to be humble. If you don’t think Stick has the smarts and attitude to be a STARTER one day there is a good chance he won’t be in the league for a decade let alone a few years.

Nothing tempered about being in the NFL for a decade if he’s able to do that.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We are not better than in 2016 or 2017 or heck even in 2018. The team this year doesn’t have elite FCS talent at very many positions like we had in the past and Danny at the helm of the offense just makes this team look better than we have for talent.

I do think we tackled better in the first half and most of the initial contacts took them down. Second half must have worn us down because we couldn’t stop a fly. I do wonder how the game would have went if Trey was not as crazy mobile as he is. 

I agree Bubba might not be the best long term but I don’t think we can afford to lose Schmidt or Danny otherwise we will be building from the ground up once again.

If you aren’t sold on Bubba, hard to sell Freund and Schmidt as well, I’m afraid.

Why?

Because they’ve been on this staff the entire time Bubba has been. They are major staples in the recruiting trend and developing the philosophy and scheme. They are good people. But as coaches, they help form the expectations of the program as is.

*IF* you feel UND is not heading the right direction, which I’m not saying is or isn’t the case here,  you need to allow Chaves to hire an entirely new coaching staff that can potentially allow UND football to take the next step in FCS football. Fortunately, Chaves knows what that looks like as he was around several good Eastern Washington football teams. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

What we think of Sticks ability has no bearing on how successful Stick will be in the NFL. Many thought he didnt even have a chance to be drafted when the season started.

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If you aren’t sold on Bubba, hard to sell Freund and Schmidt as well, I’m afraid.

Why?

Because they’ve been on this staff the entire time Bubba has been. They are major staples in the recruiting trend and developing the philosophy and scheme. They are good people. But as coaches, they help form the expectations of the program as is.

*IF* you feel UND is not heading the right direction, which I’m not saying is or isn’t the case here,  you need to allow Chaves to hire an entirely new coaching staff that can potentially allow UND football to take the next step in FCS football. Fortunately, Chaves knows what that looks like as he was around several good Eastern Washington football teams. 

Recruiting is huge factor.   Here is a little story in that regard. When Bohl was still at NDSU we went down to play Northern Iowa. They kicked our ass.  As a matter of fact they embarrassed us with their physicality..  After that game Bohl said---we have to recruit a different player to be competitive at this level of play. 

Its alot easier to coach if you have the players to be competitive. IOW its not about the Xs and Os its about the Jimmies and the Joes.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Recruiting is huge factor.   Here is a little story in that regard. When Bohl was still at NDSU we went down to play Northern Iowa. They kicked our ass.  As a matter of fact they embarrassed us with their physicality..  After that game Bohl said---we have to recruit a different player to be competitive at this level of play. 

Its alot easier to coach if you have the players to be competitive. IOW its not about the Xs and Os its about the Jimmies and the Joes.

Agree completely. The X’s and O’s are really just fluff for the fans; it’s always been about the players on the field. Sure, scheme does matter as to not completely botch the game or to determine the winner with evenly matched teams, but games are always won by the players. 

20 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

NDSU is a FBS level opponent right now.  

When the Bison win the next 4 FCS championships with this new QB, they need to move up to FBS.  I know Darrell won't agree with me.  Nobody will come close to beating them this year.  Talk about a reload.  Lose 24 seniors and your head coach and don't miss a beat.