SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- NDSU GDT 9/7/2019

SiouxFan100

11 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

I wouldn't call is doom and gloom. I think most hoped (I) after rushing for what was it 5 yds in 2015 against NDSU and getting handled, we'd be more on par with NDSU 4 years later. Its reality.  We'll see how we measure up next week. NDSU is a FBS level opponent right now.

NDSU is NOT an FBS program. And if they ever moved up for real, they would find that out pretty quickly. They could win the Sun Belt (which is pure garbage) and have some success in the Big 12 (lots of bad programs in that conference). But anything above that, they would get worn down by the depth and athleticism of FBS teams and their 85 scholarships. Look for some "Bring on Bama" or "Bring on Clemson" nonsense from the Moo U faithful in the coming weeks and months.

9 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

So in summary of all the comments on here, if we just get better players, a better coaching staff with better schemes, a better practice facility, a better strength and conditioning program, and a better nutritional program, we’ll be set.  

Sweet!

Well, yes. #1 is UND needs better players, obviously. UND is not going to win a conference championship with the roster as is. 

Now, the other points are basically ways to get the better players.

Which is priority #1 is the question. I vote HPC Phase II. Different coaches - unfortunately - is not too far behind that.

UND still has enough talent, though, to have a winning season in 2019 and make the playoffs. NDSU will be most talented team UND sees in 2019.

Go Hawks! Beat Sam Houston! 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

NDSU is NOT an FBS program. And if they ever moved up for real, they would find that out pretty quickly. They could win the Sun Belt (which is pure garbage) and have some success in the Big 12 (lots of bad programs in that conference). But anything above that, they would get worn down by the depth and athleticism of FBS teams and their 85 scholarships. Look for some "Bring on Bama" or "Bring on Clemson" nonsense from the Moo U faithful in the coming weeks and months.

No one sincerely wants Bama or Clemson, don’t be so dense. I don’t know why GFCC fans can’t accept the fact that NDSU may be an FBS... no is an FBS caliber opponent. Hence why they beat the last 6 FBS opponents they play.

You also forget that if NDSU moves up they too get 85 scholarships? I know math is hard, but that seems like a pretty easy one. 

• Downvote 4

11 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

All irritating things aside, very impressed with Trey Lance, his skill, his athleticism, his ability to read a play and his execution.

Would love to see us get someone even close to that. Nothing against the QBs on our roster, but the past few Bison QBs are just a different caliber.

So should we get his Heisman bust ready? :silly: This guy making the Heisman "watch list" is beyond ridiculous, particularly with the kind of athletes in the top echelon of FBS.

Honestly, it is a little concerning to read some of these comments. "Would love to see us get someone even close to that", "we won't play a better team than this again this year, so don't worry", and so on. It is like we are now accepting of the idea that all we will ever do is finish 6-5 every year with no playoffs and most of our wins will be against bad teams. It is very easy to get "used to" a negative situation and then accept it as the "new normal". It is human nature. But it is also a very dangerous trap to fall into. And we need to avoid falling into that trap.

14 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If you have any sort of success in the Big 12, I think that would make you a pretty decent FBS program.  

Obviously NDSU is not FBS.  But NDSU is certainly better than most FBS teams(lots of them aren't particularly good) lately.  They'll play a few more of them over the next few years that will provide a different challenge than what they are used to seeing.  That'll be interesting to see.  

2 minutes ago, WestDakota2313 said:

No one sincerely wants Bama or Clemson, don’t be so dense. I don’t know why GFCC fans can’t accept the fact that NDSU may be an FBS... no is an FBS caliber opponent. Hence why they beat the last 6 FBS opponents they play.

You also forget that if NDSU moves up they too get 85 scholarships? I know math is hard, but that seems like a pretty easy one. 

Yeah, you guys beat FBS teams, kudos to you for doing that.

Having said that, you are the one that needs a math lesson if you really think NDSU could move up, get 85 scholarships and then recruit against teams like Michigan, Ohio State and the like. The budgets of FBS football schools (even G5 schools) are much larger than either UND or NDSU. Those extra 22 scholarships won't be cheap either.

Beating an FBS team early in the season is great. But it's totally different than playing an entire schedule of FBS teams, week after week. Sustaining that year after year would be difficult, which is why NDSU isn't going to move up.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So should we get his Heisman bust ready? :silly: This guy making the Heisman "watch list" is beyond ridiculous, particularly with the kind of athletes in the top echelon of FBS.

Honestly, it is a little concerning to read some of these comments. "Would love to see us get someone even close to that", "we won't play a better team than this again this year, so don't worry", and so on. It is like we are now accepting of the idea that all we will ever do is finish 6-5 every year with no playoffs and most of our wins will be against bad teams. It is very easy to get "used to" a negative situation and then accept it as the "new normal". It is human nature. But it is also a very dangerous trap to fall into. And we need to avoid falling into that trap.

Sometimes making a list like that early in the season isn’t a sincere attempt to say a guy has a legitimate chance to win the award, but more of the writer’s “tip of the cap” to a guy and a program that the writer is impressed by.

So, it’s not ridiculous. NDSU, like it or not, has had better QB play than nearly every FBS school for the last 6 years and Trey looks to be continuing that trend.

Laugh at that if you like, but the NFL scouts would disagree with you.

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Yeah, you guys beat FBS teams, kudos to you for doing that.

Having said that, you are the one that needs a math lesson if you really think NDSU could move up, get 85 scholarships and then recruit against teams like Michigan, Ohio State and the like. The budgets of FBS football schools (even G5 schools) are much larger than either UND or NDSU. Those extra 22 scholarships won't be cheap either.

Beating an FBS team early in the season is great. But it's totally different than playing an entire schedule of FBS teams, week after week. Sustaining that year after year would be difficult, which is why NDSU isn't going to move up.

I’ve never heard one single NDSU fan who knows the slightest bit about college football think we could actually compete with the blue bloods.

I think they could definitely become a G5 powerhouse like a Boise State though.

2 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

If you have any sort of success in the Big 12, I think that would make you a pretty decent FBS program.  

Obviously NDSU is not FBS.  But NDSU is certainly better than most FBS teams(lots of them aren't particularly good) lately.  They'll play a few more of them over the next few years that will provide a different challenge than what they are used to seeing.  That'll be interesting to see.  

The Big 12 has some really bad programs at the bottom. Obviously, Texas and Oklahoma are elite, but after that it drops off significantly. The Big 10 is deeper, but does have some dogs like Rutgers (which UND is becoming a mid-major version of, unfortunately). The MAAC is mediocre, but not as bad as the Sun Belt (or Sun Belch as FU fans like to call it). But all those programs can hope for is a bowl game nobody really watches or cares about. No CFP. No National Championships. Perennial 6-5 or 7-4 records. NDSU is not going to move up for that.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Sometimes making a list like that early in the season isn’t a sincere attempt to say a guy has a legitimate chance to win the award, but more of the writer’s “tip of the cap” to a guy and a program that the writer is impressed by.

So, it’s not ridiculous. NDSU, like it or not, has had better QB play than nearly every FBS school for the last 6 years and Trey looks to be continuing that trend.

Laugh at that if you like, but the NFL scouts would disagree with you.

I am not even going to touch that one. Lay off the Jack Daniels will you? #cantmakeitup

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I’ve never heard one single NDSU fan who knows the slightest bit about college football think we could actually compete with the blue bloods.

I think they could definitely become a G5 powerhouse like a Boise State though.

Unless the G5 and P5 formally split, that won't get you much beyond a mid-level Bowl game. And I don't think NDSU fans would be in favor of that.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Unless the G5 and P5 formally split, that won't get you much beyond a mid-level Bowl game. And I don't think NDSU fans would be in favor of that.

Agreed, which is why until/if the structure of FBS changes, I wouldn’t advocate for a move up.

25 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

IMO they absolutely are an FBS level program. Obviously they aren’t nowhere near the Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson level, but they  are a better program than a significant number of FBS schools. Their last 2 QBs are in the NFL, they’ve won however many FBS games in a row, however many FCS championships... I think the data is pretty clear. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bison06 said:

Name the schools that have had their last two QBs drafted. Have fun with that research, they are very few and far between.

You are putting NDSU's QBs on the same level as the QBs at Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State and God only knows who else. That is what your original statement implied:

.....better QB play than nearly every FBS school for the last 6 years

So you really think the top schools in the SEC and ACC would have been better off with Easton Stick than what they had to "settle for"? Please take your fantasies to whatever discussion forum LakesBison has set up for himself. Because that is the only place anyone will take them seriously. #koolaidisbadforyourhealth

I was stuck at a wedding yesterday so I just watched the game this morning and then gave up in frustration.    As so many people have said for years, Bubba can't recruit and this shows.   We played 3 QB's yesterday and all looked just OK, nothing outstanding, and 4th QB is out injured.   Next week will a biggie, need to win and move forward or everything will just regress.    If that happens Bubba's days should be numbered.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You are putting NDSU's QBs on the same level as the QBs at Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State and God only knows who else. That is what your original statement implied:

So you really think the top schools in the SEC and ACC would have been better off with Easton Stick than what they had to "settle for"? Please take your fantasies to whatever discussion forum LakesBison has set up for himself. Because that is the only place anyone will take them seriously. #koolaidisbadforyourhealth

“Nearly every FBS school” you realize doesn’t mean ALL.

The same Easton Stick that just beat out Cardale Jones in San Diego? Yeah, I’d take him over many P5 starters.

Name the schools who have had their last two QBs drafted when you get a chance. I’ll wait.

Game was fairly pedestrian.  Two very different levels of talent, which is what the Bison typically have to deal with week in and week out being top in the FCS.  They need to move up into G5 FBS, in which they could certainly compete as long as the financials are there.