SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- NDSU GDT 9/7/2019

SiouxFan100

Here’s the thing with Bubba, seems like the nicest guy ever, and he could go on to have a decent season, even eek into the playoffs. He seems to lack that killer instinct, and maybe it is unfair to put all of this on Bubba, but he is the head coach.

I for one, was very disappointed to se us once again punt when we were already down and it was a short yardage situation. Should have taken a few chances to keep himself in the game

though with that offensive showing, I can see why they closed practice this week. I wouldn’t want the media watching something that embarrassing either!

seriosuly though, there are some great tools out there. Wanzek; Maag could be special; McKinney was under utilized.

also didn’t care for some of friends calls, though some were pretty good. Why are we ever running Maag on a sweep play? Cam, sure! Griebel, sure! Half the other receivers? Nooooooo!!!

Coaching never wins games but it can lose them. Players win the games. Major caveat being the coaches recruit the players.

Today, I didn’t see anything schematically (i.e., coaching) that lost UND the game. I saw a significant differential in player ability as we all should have expected. NDSU has way better players; that was the difference.

For UND to get to NDSU’s level, recruiting and player development needs to improve. Facilities and institutional support is a key component of this; it’s all connected. Thus, one could argue HPC Phase II still remains the most important piece yet to be possessed. 

I will say, though, that the coaches do need to keep recruiting and get better players or else NDSU will continue to dominante Head-to-Head matchups. 

Analytically, UND couldn’t stop NDSU QB run game and UND couldn’t run the ball or hit big pass plays. Why? Without getting into X’s and O’s, NDSU quite frankly had better players. NDSU’s QB is better than UND’s outside linebackers. UND’s dbs couldn’t tackle well; need to be better. And UND’s receivers, although experienced, are not big play guys. Need to get better. QB, RB, and OL are also positions that are just not good enough right now.

Today sucked but my hope isn’t over until the next few weeks take place. If we pull off some wins I think we can forget this game. If we spiral down hill it will be a killer for this program. We will see what this team is made of and I reserve long term judgment until then.

how do we get elite athletes like NDSU has it will take more than just a new coach. It will take success on the field. This season is far from over.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Honestly, one of the most stupid, ignorant statements anyone from UND can say (although it gets said a lot). Definitely a pet peeve of mine. 

Well there was a UND fan wearing a Sioux hockey jersey during KVLY’s fan cam segment. Plus probably half the crowd cheer for UND hockey so the sign isn’t all that surprising. 

5 hours ago, BigGame said:

I find the doom and gloom funny after a bad loss to a very good team.  NDSU has better personnel then many FBS schools!  I don't want to downplay the loss too much but if anyone thought we had a real chance today was fooling  themselves.  NDSU has better players at almost every position right now.  My take is probably off of most on the message board but UND can be a very good football team this season if some things get corrected.  We are very erratic on defense, most of the big run plays were directly related to guys not playing consistent gap control defense. This is a very fixable issue!  On offense, we had a fairly large number of plays in which the timing was off by a lot.  Also a very fixable issue!  I think we will see improvement going forward! 

Bubba has now been the head coach for six years and his best season is an embarrassing playoff loss. I don't think anyone can question his love for UND, but he may not be the man to lead us to football relevance. 

• Upvote 2

In regards to ndsu and quality/talent of players.....they have 9 players on the two deep that were walk ons. Say what you want but they seem to develop the players to another level.  

In regards to coaching/winning...Bubba is not the guy.  His way of coaching to a certain extent was fine in the big sky but will not cut it in the mvfc.  He’s outmatched.

Reality set in yesterday.  Bubba brought an experienced team to Fargo against a new coached young and mostly inexperienced ndsu team.  We all know the outcome. Yesterday was his chance to take them down and gain positive attention. If it looked like they belong on the field is one thing but they were outmatched at every personal level.  

• Upvote 1

Well consider the source... standing in line for security... the lady behind me said,”We should have pretty good seats. They are right by the 3rd down line.” Seriously, some comments do not warrant a response. Finally a man corrected her that the tickets were by the 45 yard line.

8 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I for one, was very disappointed to se us once again punt when we were already down and it was a short yardage situation. Should have taken a few chances to keep himself in the game

When did that happen? It was 4th and about 15 on the only one I recall people complaining about here 

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Hey thanks we appreciate it.  Nothing like picking the wrong thread and being an insufferable bitch about the outcome of the game.  Act like you've won before, cause you have.

Did I touch a nerve? Deal with it 

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Will give Fargo props for game day experience 

hiwever i never had as many threats shoulder bumps in my life as yesterday. 

Well in rebuttal a group of UND fans stopped at my tailgate and had nothing but positive things to say like 99% of visiting fans

But like any game there are idiots so if you had a bad experience I apologize for the drunk morons

And yes..lots of hockey jerseys yesterday Oshie and Toews (sp?)  

And i thought Noah Wanzek looked like a really good player, he seemed like the backbone of the offense and made plays when they needed it.

• Upvote 1