SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- NDSU GDT 9/7/2019

SiouxFan100

35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

No, but it's staring end-of-life in the face. 

I'm not too awful worried; I strongly suspect it will be replaced next year or the year after. NDSU's football IPF will be built next summer or the summer after and that means two new turf fields to buy(one inside, one outside). If I were NDSU and the Fargodome, I'd see if I could get a small discount for three turfs since all would be identical and the installation crew would already be here. Heck, maybe even the Alerus could join in so the crew could install four turfs before heading back.

36 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

All I can say is thank God we have only played the Bison twice these last 10 years because I guarantee NDSU would be on a 10 game win streak against UND instead of just 2!!

True, but we may have not let it get to this point, either, if we had actually gotten to play them and lose a few times.  There's only so many of those that UND people will stand for.  Right now, if it's the end of the 2021 game in Grand Forks and we still haven't beaten them, heads are gonna roll.

3 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

I'm not too awful worried; I strongly suspect it will be replaced next year or the year after. NDSU's football IPF will be built next summer or the summer after and that means two new turf fields to buy(one inside, one outside). If I were NDSU and the Fargodome, I'd see if I could get a small discount for three turfs since all would be identical and the installation crew would already be here. Heck, maybe even the Alerus could join in so the crew could install four turfs before heading back.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Alerus getting turf in summer 2020 isn't already tied in before those. Alerus seems the only sure date (as you say next summer or the following). 

And if there's "regional volume discount" shouldn't all have jumped aboard West Fargo (Packers and Mustangs) installing turf summer 2019? ;) 

I thought about this Saturday night, and have been watching the board to see if anyone else would mention it (and they haven't unless I missed it), but....Would the offense have been better, worse, or about the same if Ketteringham had played instead of Zimmerman?  

Just now, Dustin said:

I thought about this Saturday night, and have been watching the board to see if anyone else would mention it (and they haven't unless I missed it), but....Would the offense have been better, worse, or about the same if Ketteringham had played instead of Zimmerman?  

I'd say worse.  Passes more telegraphed, happy feet, and resistance to taking shots downfield all working against Kett.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I think there probably would have been a few more deep balls attempted, especially the 4th quarter.  But I don't think it would have mattered all that much against the Bison defense.  

6 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think so. Sure get the hogs lean but they have to been at or above 300lbs if we want to have any push or anchor.

Not necessarily. You might be surprised at how many nfl players are listed at heights and weights that list and them bigger than what they are. If you are 290, quick, with great feet and smart I will take that before a slow footed 320lb guy that looks good on paper,  but that’s just me. If the choice is 6’ 6” 325lbs fast with quick obviously that’s even better. 

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

This sounds really stupid and weak

Good grief, I said it facetiously and everyone took it seriously.   I made the comment in response to someone saying NDSU should be forced to move up.   I doubt anyone is going to kick the mighty Bison out of the conference.

7 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Typical Bison fan, whatever Bison do is OK: I never heard it, it was only too many cups of coffee, the Queen the week before was a packer fan, on and on.

"My point is this stuff is much worse than a poster held by our mascot that reads "Play us in hockey".

2950304+0B4mGrQ-jaMMQb0ZGTWRoSUJTYTg.jpg

matt.jpg

imagesBizonInMpls.jpg

Verses

33888.thumb.jpeg.f26d92bf22b2534570f2783e4baedae7.jpeg

tjBison is correct in that there are many things the UND staff needs to worry about before a Mascot with a hockey sign first.

LOL LOL

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Not necessarily. You might be surprised at how many nfl players are listed at heights and weights that list and them bigger than what they are. If you are 290, quick, with great feet and smart I will take that before a slow footed 320lb guy that looks good on paper,  but that’s just me. If the choice is 6’ 6” 325lbs fast with quick obviously that’s even better. 

Obviously we will see as the season plays out but after two games I don’t see them moving people.

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

I think zim fits Danny’s offense better than kett.  Hard to judge when playing the top team though.

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

An illegal blindside block and corresponding bench penalty, OK, warning, was issued to NDSU on the same play in the second half.

Who took the brunt of that illegal* hit and what's their status? I'm asking for a friend named Zach Arnell ... 

*It was penalized, and thus, by definition, illegal. 

The illegal blind side block was on the 2nd Tutsie interception. I don't think it was a blind side block. The defended that laid the block was facing the UND offensive player that was pursing Tutsie. In fact, the NDSU player was fairly stationary and the UND player pretty much ran into him. 

11 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

The illegal blind side block was on the 2nd Tutsie interception. I don't think it was a blind side block. The defended that laid the block was facing the UND offensive player that was pursing Tutsie. In fact, the NDSU player was fairly stationary and the UND player pretty much ran into him. 

New rule. Didn’t look like a cheap shot, didn’t look like a big deal. 

10 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Well he knows getting drafted in the first round is just as easy playing for the bison as for any other P5 team so I don’t see why he would want to transfer. It could become a bigger possibility if he could Grad transfer. No way he would transfer if he has to sit another season.

Why would you grad transfer if you can be a top 1st round pick at NDSU? There is a better chance scouts and agents tell him he may be a high 1st round draft pick after his junior season and he comes out early. Way too early to know that but even at this point that is more of a possibility than Cox coming out early after this year.

Here's the play if all you guys don't want to just go by memory: https://youtu.be/L3EM82AZtcE?t=6199

The called foul was NDSU #55 hitting UND #18. The UND player saw it coming and they were mostly facing each other at the time of the hit, so it wasn't a classic blind-side block. But it was definitely a foul under the new rules. The NDSU player took any doubt away when he paused while walking over the prone UND player. It's a player safety issue, so good call on the foul.

The hit referred to by nd1sufan happens between NDSU #94 and UND #61. The two were engaged at the end of the play near the ball carrier and the NDSU player gave the UND player a shove right at the end(I think it was to prevent the UND player from piling on top of the NDSU ball carrier who was already down). The UND player was already unbalanced, so he went straight to the ground. He then got up and broke into the group of NDSU players to get into the face of the NDSU #94,  which is what caused most of the following excitement. Personal opinion is if this had been called a foul, it would have been fairly ticky-tack unless the NDSU player had already been warned for similar behavior earlier in the game.

15 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I do think think that there was actually a hit after the whistle by an NDSU player that wasn't called on the same play so the 15 yards were still warranted. 

We have a lot of work to do. I don’t worry about stuff that happened and was called or missed. Didn’t affect the outcome of the game. Every game has missed calls. 

• Upvote 2

The NDSU drive before the half to make it 21-7 was huge.  Not sure why Schmidt went with backups in the front 7 on that drive.   14-7 at half is a much different game than 21-7.

Also the Zimmerman throw on UND first drive of 2nd half and the subsequent NDSU FG changed the dynamic of the game even further.  Hopefully Zimmerman learns from that, I understand trying to “make a play” but that was throwing it up for grabs.

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2019 at 9:27 PM, nd1sufan said:

But it was flagged, penalized, ... illegal. 

You may not think it was a blind side, but the guy with a yellow hankie and striped shirt thought it was. 

On 9/8/2019 at 7:42 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

NDSU is NOT an FBS program. And if they ever moved up for real, they would find that out pretty quickly. They could win the Sun Belt (which is pure garbage) and have some success in the Big 12 (lots of bad programs in that conference). But anything above that, they would get worn down by the depth and athleticism of FBS teams and their 85 scholarships. Look for some "Bring on Bama" or "Bring on Clemson" nonsense from the Moo U faithful in the coming weeks and months.

They are not a FBS program, but on our schedule they fill the void of a FBS opponent due to talent level. program size and recent win percentage versus other FCS opponents, compared to UND. Painful, but true. They are not on Bama's or Clemson's level so those fans that think they are, need to put the crack pipe down.

On 9/8/2019 at 4:10 PM, UND1981 said:

When the Bison win the next 4 FCS championships with this new QB, they need to move up to FBS.  I know Darrell won't agree with me.  Nobody will come close to beating them this year.  Talk about a reload.  Lose 24 seniors and your head coach and don't miss a beat.

The Bison want to maintain regional dominance. Big fish in small pond. I'm not sure they want to join a Power 5 conference.

On 9/8/2019 at 4:10 PM, UND1981 said: