SiouxSports.com Forum

UND- NDSU GDT 9/7/2019

SiouxFan100

Just now, Ozzie82 said:

IMO they absolutely are an FBS level program. Obviously they aren’t nowhere near the Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson level, but they  are a better program than a significant number of FBS schools. Their last 2 QBs are in the NFL, they’ve won however many FBS games in a row, however many FCS championships... I think the data is pretty clear. 

There is a big difference between playing an FBS money game early in the season and being able to compete weekly with 85 scholarship FBS schools. FCS Appalachian State made huge waves when they beat Michigan on the road, not to mention the three consecutive FCS titles they won before that. That hasn't translated to consistent winning at the FBS level, certainly not vs. the middle to upper echelon of the Subdivision. They are basically bottom-feeders in FBS.

If they are that good, why don't they schedule two FBS money games each and every season? Because they know it's a big risk to get banged up before the MVFC and FCS regular season schedule. And that is what would happen.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It’ll be several weeks before Ketteringham is healthy so I imagine we have to ride with Zimmerman for awhile.

Grover is not a long-term option and they want to retain shirt on Schuster. UND needs speed on edge so have to keep Boltmann out there.

Zimmerman should get better. He’s only had one start (today) and it was against No. 1 FCS team in the Fargodome. I expect his timing with Wanzek, Maag, Toivonen, etc. to improve with more game reps. 

With all that said, the running game hasn’t got going these first two games and that is most concerning to me. Offensive line needs to play better. None of the 3 starting RBs have jumped out, either; each is OK in certain situations (JJ short yardage, McKinney on edge, etc.) but none are all around every down backs. 

The defense was not awful today, but the lack of ability to contain the QB run game was their downfall. They should look better against Sam Houston State at home, but getting Holm and Jer Dominique back healthy for that game will be key. SHSU will be slingin’ it around the Alerus. UND will need to get good pressure on their QB. SHSU running game won’t be near as good as NDSU’s.

Okay, next question.  Moving forward, is Bubba the guy?

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Not ready to write off the season yet, but no playoffs = new coach.

I'm in the same boat.

Toughest FCS schedule yes, but no reason why they can't

A) go undefeated at home (so far so good)

B) beat the tomato cans (so far so good)

If one of those answers changes to didn't get the job done, change it up (in which I am sure Bubba will be asked to retire and move to a different position in the athletic department)

20 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Okay, next question.  Moving forward, is Bubba the guy?

Can’t help wondering where UND football would be if Faison had hired DeBoer. I think he is a better head coach than OC, and he has had some real success at Fresno.

i understand that NDSU has won 7 of the last 8 FCS championships, but it feels like UND will be relegated to the bottom half of the MVFC with the current staff. The Hawks have made no progress against NDSU under Schweigert. And, as mentioned earlier, when the only MVFC teams UND has beat in the last 6 games are South Dakota and Western Illinois, the results are ominous.

its more than just facilities...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ozzie82 said:

IMO they absolutely are an FBS level program. Obviously they aren’t nowhere near the Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson level, but they  are a better program than a significant number of FBS schools. Their last 2 QBs are in the NFL, they’ve won however many FBS games in a row, however many FCS championships... I think the data is pretty clear. 

agreed, I follow both UND and NDSU closely, just listen to opposing FBS coaches who have played NDSU, they have nothing but good things to say and pretty much sum it up by stating there 1's & 2's are as good as anybody at the FBS level. NDSU has put at least 15 players on NFL rosters over the past 10 years probably more and current player Jabril Cox is arguably the best defensive player in this run and new QB Trey Lance is the highest rated recruit they have gotten at QB (higher than Wentz or Stick---doesn't mean he will be better).

2 hours ago, Irish said:

We have already fallen into that trap and seem comfortable there.  I wish the good old boys and former players and alumni that lobbied so hard for Bubba even though he was a .500 coach because he was "one of us" would put a little pressure on him and the administration.  

You are mistaken if you feel the majority of former players “lobbied” for anyone. Some did. Some opposed the choice. Once the choice was made, most of us got behind the choice. To his credit, he has worked his butt off to move the program in the right direction.  The “good old boys” have neither the financial clout nor the numbers to force decisions. Having said that, some end up on the committee to choose a coach and have influence. In the meantime your voice is just as important as anyone else’s.  Let our Alumni office, Wynne, and Chaves hear your opinion.  Venting here may be therapeutic at times but won’t change anything.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

“Nearly every FBS school” you realize doesn’t mean ALL.

The same Easton Stick that just beat out Cardale Jones in San Diego? Yeah, I’d take him over many P5 starters.

Name the schools who have had their last two QBs drafted when you get a chance. I’ll wait.

Without much researching, Oklahoma for one. Also looks like N.C.  State, Washington St, Penn St, Ohio St, and Western Kentucky have had at least two Qb’s drafted in the last 3-4 years.  Didn’t dig enough to see if they were consecutive though.

Those on here who think NDSU couldn’t play FBS have their head in the sand.  Would they compete with P5 schools, no. But could they be a top G5 school, absolutely.  They have a few big obstacles to overcome however and the two biggest are location and stadium.  The only way they go fbs is if they can get get some of the other regional fcs teams to move up. NDSU runs their program like an fbs program.  

• Upvote 4

Until UND administration steps up and gets resources for the football program, this football program will struggle, no matter who the coach is, and especially against the programs that have the resources such as NDSU.

Players win games and with the resources we currently have for the football program it will be difficult to attract those players.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Without much researching, Oklahoma for one. Also looks like N.C.  State, Washington St, Penn St, Ohio St, and Western Kentucky have had at least two Qb’s drafted in the last 3-4 years.  Didn’t dig enough to see if they were consecutive though.

Those on here who think NDSU couldn’t play FBS have their head in the sand.  Would they compete with P5 schools, no. But could they be a top G5 school, absolutely.  They have a few big obstacles to overcome however and the two biggest are location and stadium.  The only way they go fbs is if they can get get some of the other regional fcs teams to move up. NDSU runs their program like an fbs program.  

So then after looking into and finding maybe five schools out of 130 that have had their last two QBs drafted, is it fair to say NDSU has had better QBs than nearly all of the FBS schools in the nation the last six years? My comment is mostly to the previous poster, since it seems like you are somewhat agreeing with my statement.

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

So then after looking into and finding maybe five schools out of 130 that have had their last two QBs drafted, is it fair to say NDSU has had better QBs than nearly all of the FBS schools in the nation the last six years? My comment is mostly to the previous poster, since it seems like you are somewhat agreeing with my statement.

So has Western Kentucky, so what? I know WKU is FBS, but they are far from a football powerhouse, yet they attract some good  QB’s apparently.

Not sure why you need to seek validation on your rival’s message board.  This is why so many get fed up with the Bison fan base.  You’ve got a good thing going, be humble.  You won’t be on top forever.

14 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Positives: CJ is a dude. He was our best player today. Made all sorts of plays and is only a fr. The sky is the limit for him.

Rodgers was all over the place today. 

Canaday made a load of tackles.

Leach was 3 for 3 on xpts today.

Maag made some plays.

Negatives: Our team simply isn’t tough, at all. No edge, no grit, no fire. Watch how NDSU celebrates, they go crazy. 

Both lines are too small. We got pushed around a lot. The whole “every OL lose weight this off season” thing was stupid. 

Having a wr group that looks like a church league basketball team still isn’t working. Most of them can’t separate. We need better athletes on offense. 

Blubaugh, he was brutal today.

Special teams still an issue.

Tackling was rough.

I think our WR personnel is ok.  Just need to recognize what the defense is giving us and take it.  Also, do a better job scheming to the strength of our QB.  Didn’t do that yesterday.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

So has Western Kentucky, so what? I know WKU is FBS, but they are far from a football powerhouse, yet they attract some good  QB’s apparently.

Not sure why you need to seek validation on your rival’s message board.  This is why so many get fed up with the Bison fan base.  You’ve got a good thing going, be humble.  You won’t be on top forever.

Why is having a conversation always someone seeking validation? Calm down.

i made a comment, he called it ridiculous and was proven wrong.

I dont think Western Kentucky had a guy get drafted second overall though.

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

There is a big difference between playing an FBS money game early in the season and being able to compete weekly with 85 scholarship FBS schools. FCS Appalachian State made huge waves when they beat Michigan on the road, not to mention the three consecutive FCS titles they won before that. That hasn't translated to consistent winning at the FBS level, certainly not vs. the middle to upper echelon of the Subdivision. They are basically bottom-feeders in FBS.

If they are that good, why don't they schedule two FBS money games each and every season? Because they know it's a big risk to get banged up before the MVFC and FCS regular season schedule. And that is what would happen.

Appalachian St had its struggles in transition but is now the top team in the Belt, has been rated (a rare thing for the Belt), and has lost coaches to more opuluent programs.  Ga Southern and App St are the stars of the Belt.

20 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Ok isn’t gonna cut it

I think they are good.  With yesterday’s game plan a guy running down the field wouldn’t have done anything.  Middle of the field and the back shoulder stuff was there.  Honestly on our team it’s one of the positions that is least of my concern.  Just need to properly use what we have. 

12 minutes ago, homer said:

I think they are good.  With yesterday’s game plan a guy running down the field wouldn’t have done anything.  Middle of the field and the back shoulder stuff was there.  Honestly on our team it’s one of the positions that is least of my concern.  Just need to properly use what we have. 

I don’t think we should have Maag Toivonen and Wanzek all out there at the same time. Need some speed out there.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

“Nearly every FBS school” you realize doesn’t mean ALL.

The same Easton Stick that just beat out Cardale Jones in San Diego? Yeah, I’d take him over many P5 starters.

Name the schools who have had their last two QBs drafted when you get a chance. I’ll wait.

Jones outplayed Stick in the preseason in my opinion, but you think beating out Jones is a huge accomplishment? Why would the Chargers cut one of their draft picks without giving him some time to develop. I can tell you one thing Stick won’t be in the NFL very long. Too much talent coming in every year. NDSU’s QBs have been good but can we really place Stick in the same category as Wentz?

IMHO Trey Lance looks way better than Stick and could be a high draft pick by the end of his career at NDSU. Disclaimer: as long as he stays healthy, running QBs scare me 

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I don’t think we should have Maag Toivonen and Wanzek all out there at the same time. Need some speed out there.

Don’t disagree.  We could also use them down the middle of the field.  Also have to keep Zim in the pocket.  Rolling him out scares no one. I think Danny will adjust.  Plenty of tape to learn from yesterday. 

1 minute ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Jones outplayed Stick in the preseason in my opinion, but you think beating out Jones is a huge accomplishment? Why would the Chargers cut one of their draft picks without giving him some time to develop. I can tell you one thing Stick won’t be in the NFL very long. Too much talent coming in every year. NDSU’s QBs have been good but can we really place Stick in the same category as Wentz?

IMHO Trey Lance looks way better than Stick and could be a high draft pick by the end of his career at NDSU. Disclaimer: as long as he stays healthy, running QBs scare me 

This comment won’t age well. Stick has the smarts and the attitude to be a backup in the nfl for a decade.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Wasnt it you who said NDSU would never win a Natty with Stick at QB or was it somebody else from this board?

28 minutes ago, homer said:

maybe use a te forthe first time in ten damn years....look at the successful teams in the nfl...pats-gronk eages-ertz chiefs-kelce.  heck event he bizons had one or td's from a te yesterday....

the one thing i'm not on board with with danny is the te's are used in less than rudy...which is almost an impossibility....