SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Fall Camp

MoSiouxFan

I don't want to downplay this loss too much. This loss hit the group that was the biggest concern going into the year. That being said, is Engwall the difference between the defensive line unit floating or sinking this year? I wouldn't think so. There's too many unknowns for this group, which is both pretty scary, but also pretty exciting. Nothing really changes.

For this unit to be successful there was already a lot of pressure on the "unknowns" to contribute, it's now just been kicked up a notch. The few guys who are returning (Bennett, Seguin, Morrison) are going to have to step up (specifically Seguin / Morrison). Guys like Johnson, DeVore, Moore, Pierre, Beach, your time is now.

What's the word on the D-line so far? Haven't really heard a lot about them from the Fall reports, positively or negatively. 

33 minutes ago, AJS said:

I don't want to downplay this loss too much. This loss hit the group that was the biggest concern going into the year. That being said, is Engwall the difference between the defensive line unit floating or sinking this year? I wouldn't think so. There's too many unknowns for this group, which is both pretty scary, but also pretty exciting. Nothing really changes.

For this unit to be successful there was already a lot of pressure on the "unknowns" to contribute, it's now just been kicked up a notch. The few guys who are returning (Bennett, Seguin, Morrison) are going to have to step up (specifically Seguin / Morrison). Guys like Johnson, DeVore, Moore, Pierre, Beach, your time is now.

What's the word on the D-line so far? Haven't really heard a lot about them from the Fall reports, positively or negatively. 

When something seems a tad off, like DeVore taking reps at D-Line, be prepared for underlying reason. (in football and life)

Unacceptable to have a guy in camp participating and now figure out he's ineligible. (5th year Sr.)

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

Big news at the end of Millers latest article 

Carl Engwall is no longer on the team. 

This is bad news anyway you spin it. Probably the first bit of pure bad news out of camp this year. There always is some bad news, though, every year. Hopefully no more subtractions before games start. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Do you know that this is how it went down?

Is it??  Maybe??

I probably still take this stuff too serious and it's beyond my control, so I shouldn't.  

I have a flag football game to coach this evening, Kindergarten - 1st Grade, not going to worry about it.  But never fails to get more than a normal amount of disappointing news out of UND Fall Camp.

Ironically, I have 5 plays installed, 4 runs and 1 pass.  Same playbook as Rudy.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Is it??  Maybe??

I probably still take this stuff too serious and it's beyond my control, so I shouldn't.  

I have a flag football game to coach this evening, Kindergarten - 1st Grade, not going to worry about it.  But never fails to get more than a normal amount of disappointing news out of UND Fall Camp.

Ironically, I have 5 plays installed, 4 runs and 1 pass.  Same playbook as Rudy.

It's not the plays... it's execution.  I can call what the AC is going to run before they run it at 90 percent clip (just like many would lament about Rudy) but they just execute to perfection so it works. Predictable is fine when you have the horses. You'll kill the other team tonight, Gundy! Don't ever sleep on three yards and a cloud of dust! :D

3 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

It's not the plays... it's execution.  I can call what the AC is going to run before they run it at 90 percent clip (just like many would lament about Rudy) but they just execute to perfection so it works. Predictable is fine when you have the horses. You'll kill the other team, tonight, Gundy! Don't ever sleep on three yards and a cloud of dust! :D

At risk of saying it the 100th time, and saying it as a compliment, 

NDSU does not do anything exceptional. but what they do they do exceptionally well. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

It's not the plays... it's execution.  I can call what the AC is going to run before they run it at 90 percent clip (just like many would lament about Rudy) but they just execute to perfection so it works. Predictable is fine when you have the horses. You'll kill the other team tonight, Gundy! Don't ever sleep on three yards and a cloud of dust! :D

Sure, but the AC has a diverse playbook and uses its players well. They run the QB timely, they throw to the TEs on playaction, they have plenty of screen plays and use their backs in the passing game. They go heavy with 3 tight ends and sometimes go empty with 5 wide outs.

Point is, don’t say UND had been using their personnel the same way NDSU has been. Because they weren’t. 

UND offense under Rudolph was not pretty. Effective at times, but not pretty. 

I am looking forward to how Freund groups his available talent.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Sure, but the AC has a diverse playbook and uses its players well. They run the QB timely, they throw to the TEs on playaction, they have plenty of screen plays and use their backs in the passing game. They go heavy with 3 tight ends and sometimes go empty with 5 wide outs.

Point is, don’t say UND had been using their personnel the same way NDSU has been. Because they weren’t. 

UND offense under Rudolph was not pretty. Effective at times, but not pretty. 

I am looking forward to how Freund groups his available talent.

Never did.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, AJS said:

Woah! Shocking about Engwall, Senior who would have started. 

Really disappointing news.  That leaves only 1 upperclassmen.....Bennett .  Keeping him healthy is an absolute must.  1 senior zero juniors.  Simply by numbers ....there will be a few true freshman that will play big minutes.   What has always been a strength to the team could possibly be a detriment.  It’s the unknown with 9 of the 12 DL being  freshman.      

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Really disappointing news.  That leaves only 1 upperclassmen.....Bennett .  Keeping him healthy is an absolute must.  1 senior zero juniors.  Simply by numbers ....there will be a few true freshman that will play big minutes.   What has always been a strength to the team could possibly be a detriment.  It’s the unknown with 9 of the 12 DL being  freshman.   We have all commented on the NG position and the questions there.    

Definitely not good news.  However lets remember that Greely and Dranka both played a lot of minutes as true freshman and were pretty successful, and I don't think they thought of as being impact players right away that would normally play as true freshman but they had to out of necessity.  The young guys are going to have to step up!

6 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Is it??  Maybe??

You NEED to fix this man! Chuck the pigskin!!!! :D

• Upvote 1

Made it to practice today.  Good number of fans made it out. 

Caleb was suited up ...nice to see 

Overall the athleticism is definitely an upgrade from years past 

Really wish Moore was 25 lbs heavier.   He is just a freak athletically.  Perfect position would be OLB ....he would be a terror  

Devore was sitting this practice ....doesn’t look major   

Not much else to speak of that hasn’t been spoken  of already 

2 weeks baby!!! 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Made it to practice today.  Good number of fans made it out. 

Caleb was suited up ...nice to see 

Overall the athleticism is definitely an upgrade from years past 

Really wish Moore was 25 lbs heavier.   He is just a freak athletically.  Perfect position would be OLB ....he would be a terror  

Devore was sitting this practice ....doesn’t look major   

Not much else to speak of that hasn’t been spoken  of already 

2 weeks baby!!! 

Moore??  I am drawing a blank.

11 minutes ago, AJS said:

Must have missed that.  I was gone for about 1/2 hr towards the end but did return.   Hopefully it isn’t to bad.   Und has been on the unfortunate side with injuries or defections at particular positions  over the years.  Fingers crossed