SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

6 hours ago, Big Green said:

Yes, The last couple games I've been to there has been a graphic up on the scoreboard "Let go Hawk" trying to get the "Lets go Hawks" cheer going.  I few people chant "Lets go Sioux" but that is about it.

Would be nice to have some kind of agreement that when scoreboard or cheerleaders says Hawks everyone joins. When a separate Sioux chant starts, everyone joins. I honestly believe that would go a long way but it would take someone like team captains making Twitter requests for cooperation. It would elevate the building imo. Doesn’t really matter what people say as long as it’s fans, not the DJ, who control the happy level. 

I attended 79’-82’. Seems almost unfair to current students to miss all the fun. Might take the old guys to figure this out. 

On 2/9/2020 at 9:53 PM, CarpeRemote said:

Does the whole Sioux/Hawks thing keep the crowd out of it a bit? 

Seems to.

Whenever Hawks is heard, there are a number of fans spread through out the arena that immediately yell Sioux right after it - or on top, as to drown it out. This seems to act as a deterrent.

Fans get into the singing of some songs, especially the Beer Barrel song.

The best organized cheer is done after a UND goal. Then a short cheer as the PA announces the goal.
There is sometimes a cheer directed at an opposing goalie after we score, which when done is mostly by the student section.
These are like giving an appreciation after the play and I will add that they are done well.

Very little vocal cheering on the home team when play is going on (as in an organized word cheer).
More like clapping and just plain yelling, when the crowd tries to encourage the home team on during play.

On 2/9/2020 at 9:53 PM, CarpeRemote said:

Asking for a friend,
Does the whole Sioux/Hawks thing keep the crowd out of it a bit? Can’t agree on cheers etc, won’t yell “Sioux”, or won’t yell “Hawks“? 

Last time I was in ND was Feb 14, 2014. Girlfriend and I flew across the country to introduce her to UND hockey and ask her to marry me. The game with DU was a tie but the building was undeniably quiet compared my years. 

I wanted to start a section chant but yelling either name seemed awkward. 

Yes.

8 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Very little vocal cheering on the home team when play is going on (as in an organized word cheer).
More like clapping and just plain yelling, when the crowd tries to encourage the home team on during play.

It's an even split between "Let's Go Sioux" during sustained o-zone time...or people hollering "shooooooooot" on a PP:D

It also doesn't help when a net front flurry or a skirmish happens and then it's whistle and an immediate old dutch video ad blasting from the speakers. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, franchise said:

It's an even split between "Let's Go Sioux" during sustained o-zone time...or people hollering "shooooooooot" on a PP:D

It also doesn't help when a net front flurry or a skirmish happens and then it's whistle and an immediate old dutch video ad blasting from the speakers. 

That is true everywhere and is so annoying. 

39 minutes ago, franchise said:

Definitely agree on the advertising from the big screen. The crowd has to rebuild it's momentum after every break in the action. I remember at times when BB, FB & MH games had the cheers continued through the stop in play and back into live play. Energy built into the atmosphere from the crowd.

The "shooooooot" is more like individual frustrated fans yelling and might seem more as a negative to the players than a cheering on the team.

The "Let's Go Sioux", or any of the similar cheers during live play is minimal as compared to the pre-Hawks era in The Ralph, and even as in the Winter Sports Center(later renamed Engelstad) and the Barn.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Definitely agree on the advertising from the big screen. The crowd has to rebuild it's momentum after every break in the action. I remember at times when BB, FB & MH games had the cheers continued through the stop in play and back into live play. Energy built into the atmosphere from the crowd.

The "shooooooot" is more like individual frustrated fans yelling and might seem more as a negative to the players than a cheering on the team.

The "Let's Go Sioux", or any of the similar cheers during live play is minimal as compared to the pre-Hawks era in The Ralph, and even as in the Winter Sports Center(later renamed Engelstad) and the Barn.

The shoooot comment was definite sarcasm...even though those guys think they are being helpful...haha.

There certainly seems to be nothing to build the excitement.  It's short bursts of excitement and then enjoy ads, and then try to get back into the game.  I understand that advertising helps pay the bills, so I'm not sure of the solution, but they are often poorly timed for sure.

• Upvote 2

Pay attention to the crowd this weekend against Denver. These games should bring out the best of our fan support as it's the biggest preseason ticket this season at The Ralph, and at this juncture of our schedule we R # 1.

This is partially what The Ralph was built for, hopefully the fans do there part to create the home atmosphere to help the players be successful! 

2 hours ago, franchise said:

This is exactly the biggest problem with the REA atmosphere. Exciting plays on the ice with crowd loud and on their feet followed by an advertisement rather than replays, music, etc. The commercialization kills the atmosphere. Didn’t have this at the old Ralph. 

5 hours ago, franchise said:

The shoooot comment was definite sarcasm...even though those guys think they are being helpful...haha.

There certainly seems to be nothing to build the excitement.  It's short bursts of excitement and then enjoy ads, and then try to get back into the game.  I understand that advertising helps pay the bills, so I'm not sure of the solution, but they are often poorly timed for sure.

Basically we are selling away our home ice advantage- and frustrating the fan base - for a few advertising dollars.

Compromise proposal: stop commercial interruptions during Period 3.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2020 at 12:43 PM, Big Green said:

Yes, The last couple games I've been to there has been a graphic up on the scoreboard "Let go Hawk" trying to get the "Lets go Hawks" cheer going.  I few people chant "Lets go Sioux" but that is about it.

If you go to the hockey game and want to get a chant started you say “Let’s go Sioux” but you clap along with it. Way more people are still Sioux fans, me included.  It’s going to be a long time if ever before there’s a let’s go Hawks chant 

USCHO Bracketology for this week:

https://www.uscho.com/2020/02/12/bracketology-figuring-out-problems-on-how-to-best-seed-the-2020-ncaa-hockey-national-tournament/

Jim Connelly favors a bracket that protects the gate. Jason Moy has his more about bracket integrity. I think Moy's is closer to the truth, IMO.

Good to see some of the blue bloods back in this with Maine, BC (*gag*), Mich St., and us, of course, back in the bracket.

Honestly, I'm fine with either of these and I love the idea of one of UMD and DU being gone if we get out of our region.

Connelly's bracket

Allentown, Pa. Regional
1. North Dakota (1)
2. Penn State (8)
3. UMass Lowell (11)
4. AIC (16)

Loveland, Colo. Regional
1. Minnesota Duluth (4)
2. Denver (5)
3. Northeastern (12)
4. Quinnipiac (14)

Worcester, Mass. Regional
1. Minnesota State (2)
2. Massachusetts (7)
3. Arizona State (10)
4. Michigan State (15)

Albany, N.Y. Regional
1. Cornell (3)
2. Boston College (6)
3. Clarkson (9)
4. Maine (13)

Moy's bracket

Allentown, Pa. Regional
1. Minnesota State (2)
2. Penn State (8)
3. UMass Lowell (11)
4. Michigan State (15)

Loveland, Colo. Regional
1. Minnesota Duluth (4)
2. Denver (5)
3. Northeastern (12)
4. Quinnipiac (14)

Worcester, Mass. Regional
1. North Dakota (1)
2. UMass (7)
3. Clarkson (9)
4. AIC (16)

Albany, N.Y. Regional
1. Cornell (3)
2. Boston College (6)
3. Arizona State (10)
4. Maine (13)

6 minutes ago, dden3 said:

Can somebody tell me if our 2016 Nationa Championship team won the NCHC regular season and/or the NCHC Tournament?  I can’t remember. 

They won the NCHC regular season, but lost in the tournament semi-final to UMD.  They then tied DU in the 3rd place NCHC tourney game.

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Definitely won the regular season title, most definitely did NOT with the Frozen Faceoff!!

6 minutes ago, brianvf said:

They won the NCHC regular season, but lost in the tournament semi-final to UMD.  They then tied DU in the 3rd place NCHC tourney game.

And everyone then said we were done hahaha. 

5 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Nobody in my group said they were done then, but when the penalty on us was called with a few minutes left in the Denver semi F4 game - they were some saying we were done..

If Trevor Olson had taken a five minute major there and cost us the game I couldn't of ever forgiven him.  Luckily it was a 2 and CBS saved us at the end.  

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If Trevor Olson had taken a five minute major there and cost us the game I couldn't of ever forgiven him.  Luckily it was a 2 and CBS saved us at the end.  

Honestly, I was shocked they didn’t give him a 5 for that high hit. My heart sunk when the refs reviewed the play. 

On 2/11/2020 at 1:49 PM, dustnyou said:

This is exactly the biggest problem with the REA atmosphere. Exciting plays on the ice with crowd loud and on their feet followed by an advertisement rather than replays, music, etc. The commercialization kills the atmosphere. Didn’t have this at the old Ralph. 

Could not agree more - the fantastic new screen is used almost exclusively for "commercial" contests like the idiotic races or some kind of crowd/kiss cam.  Nothing to promote the game at all.