SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

On 1/29/2020 at 10:54 PM, Oxbow6 said:

Minnesota???

tenor (2).gif

That was my reaction too! You wonder about the person who wrote this article, they certainly have no credibility. I don’t know much about the other schools who were mentioned, Lawson is a credible example but does anyone else know about some of the others? 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, mattim said:

That was my reaction too! You wonder about the person who wrote this article, they certainly have no credibility. I don’t know much about the other schools who were mentioned, Lawson is a credible example but does anyone else know about some of the others? 

The author is an Arizona State grad who still works in AZ. I question whether he’s been to half these schools, or if he’s been to very many others that didn’t make the list. 

4 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

Playoff hockey is just a bit different. Put a regional in the Ralph.....and then compare the two.

I agree that it's different with the season being on the line.  I understand that a January game against Omaha won't exactly be to that level, however, I still think that the crowd could be much better overall.

53 minutes ago, franchise said:

I agree that it's different with the season being on the line.  I understand that a January game against Omaha won't exactly be to that level, however, I still think that the crowd could be much better overall.

What college arenas have you been in where the atmosphere is better? I have been to Duluth, St. Cloud and Minnesota on numerous occasions, and none of them are even close to REA. Duluth (Amsoil) and Minnesota (Mariucci) are usually 1/2 empty (unless UND is in town, and then 1/2 the crowd is UND), St. Cloud fans are fair weather fans (they show up when they are good, but otherwise don't and sit on their hands). Denver and CC fans do not even sell out arenas half the size of REA. I'm not sure what you are comparing REA to so it is difficult to gauge your expectations. 

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

What college arenas have you been in where the atmosphere is better? I have been to Duluth, St. Cloud and Minnesota on numerous occasions, and none of them are even close to REA. Duluth (Amsoil) and Minnesota (Mariucci) are usually 1/2 empty (unless UND is in town, and then 1/2 the crowd is UND), St. Cloud fans are fair weather fans (they show up when they are good, but otherwise don't and sit on their hands). Denver and CC fans do not even sell out arenas half the size of REA. I'm not sure what you are comparing REA to so it is difficult to gauge your expectations. 

Wisconsin. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

Mankato was impressive this year. Omaha is usually fun.

Sioux vs Gophers or Badgers in the old sports garden 79-88 was unbelievable...from the smokers in the concourse to the Farce to the dead rodents...it was amazing.  I was a little boy with my dad and I will never forget those games...the frozen tunnel under Columbia...running from by University park to stay warm...

• Upvote 2

I recall sitting above the bowl at the not yet complete old ralph with Larry Drader, who was to become captain a few years later.   Larry was visualizing , and it was cool.   Jeff Sauer brought in the first opponent at that rink. 

• Upvote 2

The UND student section has been pretty mild for a long time but I blame a chunk of that on the crowd around the student section. Students aren't allowed to stand pretty much at all, which it's hard to be rowdy and raucous while sitting down. The rules of the new Ralph neuter the student section.

44 minutes ago, Feff said:

The UND student section has been pretty mild for a long time but I blame a chunk of that on the crowd around the student section. Students aren't allowed to stand pretty much at all, which it's hard to be rowdy and raucous while sitting down. The rules of the new Ralph neuter the student section.

Watch the camera shots, though.  They're looking at their phones. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Sioux vs Gophers or Badgers in the old sports garden 79-88 was unbelievable...from the smokers in the concourse to the Farce to the dead rodents...it was amazing.  I was a little boy with my dad and I will never forget those games...the frozen tunnel under Columbia...running from by University park to stay warm...

This. The smell... it was just legendary. 

3 hours ago, burd said:

I recall sitting above the bowl at the not yet complete old ralph with Larry Drader, who was to become captain a few years later.   Larry was visualizing , and it was cool.   

Larry and his brother Darryl were a couple classy guys. Great character.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Feff said:

Was in the student section from 1985-1990...definitely was not family friendly but  holy shi+ was it a lot of fun...also coming back to games in the late 90's when Blaiser was coaching was just a riot.  The kids these days don't know what they missed...

• Upvote 2

I was inclined to make a comment on one thread or another about Jake Brandt as a color guy, and I realized it would be appropos to make it on this thread.  

No question that part of the reason crowd are smaller and, possibly, quieter,  in rinks all over the place is the availability of high quality streaming coverage of games.   The availability and quality of both production and home video equipment makes it tempting for people to save money and watch the game at home.   That's good because it makes the games available to more people, but it's bad in that it reduced attendance and, I think, even takes away from the experience for those in attendance, since they have become accustomed to experiencing the world through their tablets and phones.   There's that. 

But my comment was just that I think Jake has become a very good color guy.  He speaks in cliche's a little too much, as almost all sports announcers do, but he is pretty consistently on point in his observations about the game.   That's all.   I was gonna say that somewhere, then I realized the subject is relevant for more than one reason to the discussion that is going on now on this thread.

A win tonight and, what, a split out of Denver?

On 1/30/2020 at 11:51 AM, Sweethockey said:

Loveland is 11,990 feet above sea level, Denver is 5280 feet...…. 

Loveland is not 11,990 feet above sea level. It is right next to Fort Collins on the Front Range and is about 4,982ft You must be thinking of Estes Park. 

22 hours ago, 90siouxfan said:

Yikes, so the thin air is going to be an issue more than usual,  and with a bit more reading it will be a normal welcome to stoner country issue.   

Loveland is not 11,990 ft. Its more like 4900ft.