SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

4 hours ago, mattim said:

If I read Jim Dahl correctly, PWR calculator, UND has the overall #1 seed in the bag. 6 points next weekend or 0. Is that a correct interpretation?

We'll be a No. 1, if not THE No. 1, and that's about all that matters, IMO.  If we are not winning games going into regional, we have a problem. On the other hand, if we are strong in goal, healthy, and playing well, I like our chances, whatever our exact seed is.  Winning the NC is never a "more likely than not" thing--to many good teams and too many bounces and deflections in a one-and-done tourney.  

The year has been a lot of fun, and that's worth a great deal to me--the delight of watching them play extremely well every weekend, October through March.  So if they don't snag the ring, it will still have been a thumbs up year for the staff and these boys, IMO.   

• Upvote 2

FBBA0FA3-94F6-4830-9A8C-C0E3978CD80D.thumb.jpeg.5ea622e07d522c68332b887c2f837bdb.jpegThis is what happens when St. Cloud wins multiple years in a row. I’ll hold off on buying my participation ribbon apparel and wait for #9. Winning the NCHC is a huge accomplishment but fan tshirts?  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TNF said:

FBBA0FA3-94F6-4830-9A8C-C0E3978CD80D.thumb.jpeg.5ea622e07d522c68332b887c2f837bdb.jpegThis is what happens when St. Cloud wins multiple years in a row. I’ll hold off on buying my participation ribbon apparel and wait for #9. Winning the NCHC is a huge accomplishment but fan tshirts?  

I'm sure apparel for regular season conference and conference tournament championships have always been a thing. If you think fan tshirts are too much then so are those many banners we have.

24 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

I'm sure apparel for regular season conference and conference tournament championships have always been a thing. If you think fan tshirts are too much then so are those many banners we have.

Or it was a joke.  It is okay to laugh or simply let it go.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, mattim said:

If I read Jim Dahl correctly, PWR calculator, UND has the overall #1 seed in the bag. 6 points next weekend or 0. Is that a correct interpretation?

I’d like to believe that. But losing 2 games to #35 in the PWR and then #41 or #42 in the PWR has to affect our ranking just a little bit. 

Gotta think Gooch and Kierstad are locks for first team all NCHC.

Pinto is a lock for all rookie team

Adams and Michaud solid chances for 2nd team along with JBD and Poolman.

One of our goalies will be on an all NCHC team too.

Guch and Pinto solid bets for POTY and ROTY

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Gotta think Gooch and Kierstad are locks for first team all NCHC.

Pinto is a lock for all rookie team

Adams and Michaud solid chances for 2nd team along with JBD and Poolman.

One of our goalies will be on an all NCHC team too.

Guch and Pinto solid bets for POTY and ROTY

I get these awards are mostly statistically driven but tell me another player in the league, at any position, that has played better night in and night out than JBD?  He's been a rock star.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I get these awards are mostly statistically driven but tell me another player in the league, at any position, that has played better night in and night out than JBD?  He's been a rock star.

^This.  High time someone finally said it. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I completely agree. In my mind, he's the best defenseman in the NCHC. However, since the all-conference teams are stat driven, I expect Ahcan, Perunovich and Ian Mitchell to get selected in front of him. Ahcan and Mitchell are not in JBD's stratosphere defensively, and Perunovich is not as good defensively either. I wouldn't even be surprised if Kiestad and Colton Poolman are selected ahead of him, but he is hands down the best Dman on UND. 

Best dmen are quietly highly efficient and then throw in a few beauties from the point.  That's JBD in a nutshell. 

Dicta Yzerman19 (for defensemen)

1.  Read your gaps and your partner so as not to give up an odd-man situation.

2.  Be able to elude a single forechecker and make a quick, decisive outlet pass to achieve transition.

3.  Make your outlet pass to a forward in position to make a play with the puck in order to create flow.

4.  Use your body, your brain, and your stick (all, one, or two, in any order) in order to win puck battles deep in your own zone.

5.  Always be ready to be a safety valve for your partner or the forwards.

6.  Get quick, low, and hard shots off and to the net in traffic and under pressure.

So says Yzerman19

32 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Best dmen are quietly highly efficient and then throw in a few beauties from the point.  That's JBD in a nutshell. 

Dicta Yzerman19 (for defensemen)

1.  Read your gaps and your partner so as not to give up an odd-man situation.

2.  Be able to elude a single forechecker and make a quick, decisive outlet pass to achieve transition.

3.  Make your outlet pass to a forward in position to make a play with the puck in order to create flow.

4.  Use your body, your brain, and your stick (all, one, or two, in any order) in order to win puck battles deep in your own zone.

5.  Always be ready to be a safety valve for your partner or the forwards.

6.  Get quick, low, and hard shots off and to the net in traffic and under pressure.

So says Yzerman19

JBD is a pure stud. So many times this past weekend against Western, he made a small, but patient move to spin his body away from pressure, or turned against a hit to protect the puck, or skate the direction opposite where the forechecker was headed... all to make a perfect chip or lead pass that lead to transition. Such a smart hockey player.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

JBD is a pure stud. So many times this past weekend against Western, he made a small, but patient move to spin his body away from pressure, or turned against a hit to protect the puck, or skate the direction opposite where the forechecker was headed... all to make a perfect chip or lead pass that lead to transition. Such a smart hockey player.

It comes as no surprise that he led all players for Team Canada in minutes played at the World Juniors.

And, he was justly rewarded on the stats sheet with the primary assist on the GWG against Russia in the gold medal game to boot. He sprung a 4th liner with just a beauty of a pass to go in and score. 

• Upvote 2

I see JBD having a very nice NHL career as a 2-5 dman.  He reminds me of Paul Martin.  Not flashy, but smooth, smart and effective.  Very reliable in all situations.  Won’t physically overpower guys, won’t go end to end or dominate a pp at that level, but he’ll give you 30-40 points and + hockey for years.  Wish Paul had gotten a cup. Hope JBD does!!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

I see JBD having a very nice NHL career as a 2-5 dman.  He reminds me of James Patrick.  

Both are incredibly sound on their skates, agile and strong.  Both are skilled with the puck in all three zones.  Both read plays well and get into the right spot.   Both advanced for their age, as defensemen often mature later.  Both first round draft picks and Gold medallists at the World Juniors too.

Nothing against Paul Martin, but I wanted to forward the name of an ex-Sioux as comparison.

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

Both are incredibly sound on their skates, agile and strong.  Both are skilled with the puck in all three zones.  Both read plays well and get into the right spot.   Both advanced for their age, as defensemen often mature later.  Both first round draft picks and Gold medallists at the World Juniors too.

Nothing against Paul Martin, but I wanted to forward the name of an ex-Sioux as comparison.

...and it goes without saying that nobody beat James Patrick! ;)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, farce poobah said:

Funny- that comparison crossed my mind, but I was so young when Patrick was at UND, I didn’t have a first hand recollection of his play.  Sounds like my speculation would’ve been accurate.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Funny- that comparison crossed my mind, but I was so young when Patrick was at UND, I didn’t have a first hand recollection of his play.  Sounds like my speculation would’ve been accurate.  

Anybody remember Nick Naumenko?  He could control a game from the blue line.   We have had so many great defenseman over the years.  Hard to remember all of them.  Last few years with Ladue, Stecher, Tucker and Colton Poolman -  we have been lucky to see all of them over the years. I enjoyed the  physical guys like McWilliams, Smaby, Greene, Schneider too. 

59 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

James Patrick is a good comparison. He was very poised like JBD. Travis Roche also comes to mind. 

• Upvote 1