SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

3 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I think the way UMD is playing right now they deserve to be in the Tier 1 bucket.  The 6 teams on your list can all beat each other on a given day.  

the biggest thing I’ve learned about this team is that we are a matchup team.  So, I agree that being the overall #1 with its last line change is really critical to our best shot at #9

Right now Duluth is living off the power play which could be huge for them in the tournament when special teams usually decide games.  If teams play really disciplined it could make it much more difficult.

6 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I think the way UMD is playing right now they deserve to be in the Tier 1 bucket.  The 6 teams on your list can all beat each other on a given day.  

the biggest thing I’ve learned about this team is that we are a matchup team.  So, I agree that being the overall #1 with its last line change is really critical to our best shot at #9

I should have clarified, I was speaking in terms of PWR rankings. 

That Saturday night comeback against Duluth was one helluva win.  The way the Dogs are playing I think they'll finish second in the NCHC and get a number one seed in the NCAA's.  Hopefully that sends them to Denver and makes that the region of death.

Two weeks to get healthy then a battle against a ticked off Denver squad.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Sure appreciate not having to analyze the pair wise trying to figure out how we were going to get into the NCAA tournament. Much better trying to figure out where - not if - we play.

Oh the difference a year makes!

Yup. All but a lock is a really awesome place to be on Feb 2. Watching the selection show the past two years was gut wrenching. Can't wait for it this season.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Sure appreciate not having to analyze the pair wise trying to figure out how we were going to get into the NCAA tournament. Much better trying to figure out where - not if - we play.

Oh the difference a year makes!

It's also fun seeing rival teams starting to sweat about the Pairwise without having to do so ourselves.

SO

Worester

1.UND VS SHU or AIC       ASU VS MASS

Albany

3.Cornell VS Maine or NMU or BSU        UMD vs OSU

Allentown

2. MSU vs  Maine                           BC   vs Penn State

Denver

4. Den vs Providence                    Clarkson vs  Northeastern

I got:

UND vs Atlantic Winner and ASU vs PSU in Allentown

MSU vs Maine and Clarkson vs UMass in Worcester

Cornell vs Providence and UMD vs Northeastern in Albany

DU vs Quinnipiac and BC vs OSU in Denver 

Moved every 3 seed, swapped Quinnipiac and Providence to avoid intraconference ECAC

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

I got:

UND vs Atlantic Winner and ASU vs PSU in Allentown

MSU vs Maine and Clarkson vs UMass in Worcester

Cornell vs Providence and UMD vs Northeastern in Albany

DU vs Quinnipiac and BC vs OSU in Denver 

Moved every 3 seed, swapped Quinnipiac and Providence to avoid intraconference ECAC

I think by the NCAA's your one seeds will be UND, Duluth, Cornell, and Mankato.  Looking like a showdown in PA with UND and Penn State regardless. 

5 hours ago, farce poobah said:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/

Leading the nation in goals, but only 17th in shots means a clear #1 in shooting percentage of 13.5%.    

I'm still perplexed - thrilled but perplexed - about why the incredible rebound from last year's 7.8% (#50 or so in the nation).    

I'm sure there a lot of factors, some of them random, but I'll throw two out there for thought.   1) Pinto.   Not much needs to be said about him.   Toewsish (not JT level but similar) in his presence on the ice.  2) Kawaguchi.   I've commented off and on over the last two years that he is a guy who seems to need some time for the game to slow down.   He's always had skill and work ethic.   He's figured it out, IMO, and the result is more goals for not only himself but for everyone around him.    Those are two.  There are probably plenty of others, including an overall increase in skill level, which affects everything, including the PP.  

• Upvote 1

Why is shooting percentage up? 

Look at the shot charts from last year to this year. Last year the shots were coming from outside the prime real estate (which is dots in and down). This year shots are coming from that prime real estate and many from within ten feet of the blue paint. 

Goalies only save about 80% of shots from ten feet and in. (Hence the old coaching adage: Keep 'em to the outside!

See this for more thoughts on topic: https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4758373-Eight-stats-that-tell-the-story-behind-UND-hockeys-quick-start 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Why is shooting percentage up? 

Look at the shot charts from last year to this year. Last year the shots were coming from outside the prime real estate (which is dots in and down). This year shots are coming from that prime real estate and many from within ten feet of the blue paint. 

Goalies only save about 80% of shots from ten feet and in. (Hence the old coaching adage: Keep 'em to the outside!

See this for more thoughts on topic: https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4758373-Eight-stats-that-tell-the-story-behind-UND-hockeys-quick-start 

Good information, Sic. Nothing like facts to move a discussion.  

But more shots from higher percentage areas may, itself, be due  to factors that need to be discussed.  Just because the D man are taking a lower percentage of the shots and more are being taken from high percentage areas may be due to more than strategy.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, burd said:

... more are being taken from high percentage areas may be due to more than strategy.  

I believe is is strategy and it came with KG and his time with the TBL organization. TBL focuses on going to the net and shots in close from the prime areas. 

Mismash's goal Saturday is a prime example of the difference from last year: Kawaguchi had the puck maybe 15 feet out, he could've taken a prime shot, yet he had TWO options on the back door (Adams, Mismash). Last year those back door options were taking fly-bys of the net and weren't there. 

And still they are getting back to support on defense. 

The go to the net and still get back mindset is fully engaged. 

Several reasons for the turnaround this year. As mentioned earlier, Gooch's game took a little time to develop and is really good. Pinto is a beast, Karl is doing outstanding work, and I think the freshmen and sophomores on the team are pushing the upper classman to perform. Just my .02 cents 

13 hours ago, johnsowe said:

SO

Worester

1.UND VS SHU or AIC       ASU VS MASS

Albany

3.Cornell VS Maine or NMU or BSU        UMD vs OSU

Allentown

2. MSU vs  Maine                           BC   vs Penn State

Denver

4. Den vs Providence                    Clarkson vs  Northeastern

I have this:

Worcester - same

Loveland:

4 DU 13 Prov

6 UMD 12 NE 

Allentown 

2 MSU-M 14 Quin.

5 BC 11 Penn

Albany

3 Cornell 15 Maine

7 Clark 10 OSU

Haven’t looked, did Quin. drop from 14?  I had to split them and Cornell which kept. Maine in the East 

34 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I believe is is strategy and it came with KG and his time with the TBL organization. TBL focuses on going to the net and shots in close from the prime areas. 

Mismash's goal Saturday is a prime example of the difference from last year: Kawaguchi had the puck maybe 15 feet out, he could've taken a prime shot, yet he had TWO options on the back door (Adams, Mismash). Last year those back door options were taking fly-bys of the net and weren't there. 

And still they are getting back to support on defense. 

The go to the net and still get back mindset is fully engaged. 

This is so important.   It stood out against CC. 

On 2/1/2020 at 3:46 PM, dden3 said:

I would not be surprised if Karl G started to attract some interest as college DI vacancies might occur. He has been a tremendous addition to the staff.  I don’t see Berry going anywhere anytime soon, but if he did I think Karl would be first in line. 

Berry has a contract to finish out. Karl has certainly made his mark on our program as volunteer coach and now assistant, but only having position coach experience in the AHL for a couple seasons to add to his time here, I would disagree with the notion of Karl being first in line at UND. You might be forgetting to insert DJ for consideration. Not even worth the speculation. 

On 1/31/2020 at 10:01 PM, burd said:

Watch the camera shots, though.  They're looking at their phones. 

Just spit balling here and this might be a crazy idea but what if The Ralph made it so phones worked half as well in the concourse as they do in the arena?

19 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Just spit balling here and this might be a crazy idea cut what if The Ralph made it so phones worked half as well in the concourse as they do in the arena?

Ya ever wonder how many figure out we scored by social media update? :huh: :D

• Upvote 1

On 1/31/2020 at 3:22 PM, skateshattrick said:

What college arenas have you been in where the atmosphere is better? I have been to Duluth, St. Cloud and Minnesota on numerous occasions, and none of them are even close to REA. Duluth (Amsoil) and Minnesota (Mariucci) are usually 1/2 empty (unless UND is in town, and then 1/2 the crowd is UND), St. Cloud fans are fair weather fans (they show up when they are good, but otherwise don't and sit on their hands). Denver and CC fans do not even sell out arenas half the size of REA. I'm not sure what you are comparing REA to so it is difficult to gauge your expectations. 

Just because the schools that you mentioned fall short of what they could be, doesn't mean that UND has to do so as well.

I don't make that statement to point out that UND isn't as good as schools X, Y and Z.  I just feel that with 10k or more fans in the building, it should be consistently loud and a hostile place to play.

• Like 1