SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2019-20 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Kind of nice to be discussing arena aesthetics and not team construction on a bye week :)

Idk, the team needs to reel off a bunch of wins to make the tournament. Backs against the wall so hopefully they can get that classic Hakstol finish to the season and squeak into the tournament. Then once they're in, who knows? :D

5 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Idk, the team needs to reel off a bunch of wins to make the tournament. Backs against the wall so hopefully they can get that classic Hakstol finish to the season and squeak into the tournament. Then once they're in, who knows? :D

Ahhhh... I love being a lock. 

https://blog.collegehockeyranked.com/2020/02/04/another-look-at-which-teams-are-likely-to-make-the-2020-ncaa-hockey-tournament/

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

That horn has a 14-1-0 record. You don't change a thing.

It was absolutely loved by the fans in the arena in Ostrava. Outside of cheap beers, good hockey, 6,000 friendly Canadians, and great hosts it was the best thing those two weeks.

The announcers thought it was lame, but to each his own.  Guess when one arena does something, all of them do.  I thought the Ralph was a little more original than that, but I am there for the game, so it isn't going to prevent me from having a good time one way or another. 

25 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The power of ss.com....

I hear they went with a recording of the shrill shriek of coeds as Boeser was tossing his golden locks of hair in the warm midday sun.

20200206_120118.jpg

Word is it'll be the hawk screech from the Alerus. ;)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

As was I... take a joke.. giggle a bit, its ok. The Gesthawko doesn't send you to the sthawkade for one little joke.

The neg rep was for the football rip, rather than anything related to the hawk name.  Predictable response as always though.

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4925985-UND-defenseman-Andrew-Peski-talks-senior-year-speaking-French-and-more?fbclid=IwAR3JwZI_683gxvUI-t_9sI088ViiMaGWiBS-m7j-RFhEhTtnjkyd-tNud_E

I always liked Jordan Kawaguchi but now knowing that he likes to blast heavy metal before games, I think he’s become my new hero! 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Siouxperior said:

We can add to our point total this weekend. They can't.

Yes, big picture, it's all equal, but I just noticed we had 2 more games left to play than they have. And them sitting 2 pts behind us isn't quite as concerning.

UMD is peaking, and they know what it takes.  Plenty to be concerned about.

Which I know you know. 

45 minutes ago, johnsowe said:

UMD doesn't concern me too much....Each of their titles they did not have to play a NCHC team.  Are they good yes but I think we are better I am more concern about the east coast teams.

Duluth always concerns me because they just find a way to win the one goal games.  It has been uncanny how they have been able to avoid the bad bounce or freaky goal  that just happens sometimes.  We have found a way to win those games this season, but they have a long string going in postseason.  Hopefully, the odds catch up with them.

On 2/3/2020 at 5:10 PM, franchise said:

Just because the schools that you mentioned fall short of what they could be, doesn't mean that UND has to do so as well.

I don't make that statement to point out that UND isn't as good as schools X, Y and Z.  I just feel that with 10k or more fans in the building, it should be consistently loud and a hostile place to play.

Asking for a friend,
Does the whole Sioux/Hawks thing keep the crowd out of it a bit? Can’t agree on cheers etc, won’t yell “Sioux”, or won’t yell “Hawks“? 

Last time I was in ND was Feb 14, 2014. Girlfriend and I flew across the country to introduce her to UND hockey and ask her to marry me. The game with DU was a tie but the building was undeniably quiet compared my years. 

I wanted to start a section chant but yelling either name seemed awkward. 

14 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

Asking for a friend,
Does the whole Sioux/Hawks thing keep the crowd out of it a bit? Can’t agree on cheers etc, won’t yell “Sioux”, or won’t yell “Hawks“? 

Last time I was in ND was Feb 14, 2014. Girlfriend and I flew across the country to introduce her to UND hockey and ask her to marry me. The game with DU was a tie but the building was undeniably quiet compared my years. 

I'm sure that there is at least some amount of people that could be in that category, but I don't think it's the overwhelming issue.  I'm not even sure that it's just one issue.

Could be the students forced to sit, along with the on ice product being down for a couple years, or the increasing use of social media during games, etc.

I just wish that it was consistently loud and a truly difficult place to play.  I get the argument that it's better than most college rinks, but most college rinks aren't packed with 10k plus of the best fans in college hockey, so I hold The Ralph to a higher standard.

14 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

Asking for a friend,

Yes, The last couple games I've been to there has been a graphic up on the scoreboard "Let go Hawk" trying to get the "Lets go Hawks" cheer going.  I few people chant "Lets go Sioux" but that is about it.