SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

3 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

GRAND FORKS - University of North Dakota freshman running back Otis Weah is off of the football team and his return to the roster is unknown.

The former Moorhead Spud has been ruled academically ineligible according to two sources with direct knowledge of the situation. Weah's status at the university is in doubt because of his academic standing.

Weah had a tremendous spring for the Fighting Hawks and was being looked at as a potential feature back for UND for this upcoming season.. He played in four games in 2018, carrying the ball five times for 28 yards and scoring one touchdown. The four games was the maximum for a player to play in to maintain a redshirt and have four years of eligibility.

This is from Izzo's story. I haven't seen anyone confirm it other than him.

I wonder how this can be a surprise to our coaches.

I assume grades are being monitored and steps taken to prevent this. Knowing coaches can only do so much - the athletic has to perform on and off the field 

the athlete needs to keep their act together 

14 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I assume grades are being monitored and steps taken to prevent this. Knowing coaches can only do so much - the athletic has to perform on and off the field 

It is partially on the coaches in the recruiting process. I live in Moorhead and heard that the NDSU staff thought he may be one of the kids like Marcus Williams and Crockett that come to college and focus ONLY on academics for a year (like WIlliams) or even two years (like Crockett). It may have been in both the program and Weah's best interest to redshirt him last year, not even practice, and get his grades in line and him used to college life. Easier to do when the kid agrees to it, and maybe Weah wouldn't agree to it.

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

This is from Izzo's story. I haven't seen anyone confirm it other than him.

It’s true and unfortunately heard another RB will be gone as well, not sure who though 

42 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

This is why I'm not impressed with Bubba recruiting these high risk guys like Grady and Weah.   We need guys that will be here 5 years.

I guess I don’t know but was Grady necessarily looked at as a high risk guy? Maybe he was but I don’t remember that originally. 

22 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I guess I don’t know but was Grady necessarily looked at as a high risk guy? Maybe he was but I don’t remember that originally. 

22 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I would have bet on Grady...no doubt!

3 hours ago, SJG73 said:

I’m Steve Greer’s dad and want to thank you all for your support and criticism.  A fire needs fuel!  We need a fire under UND and it begins with you all.  Had many great times in your awesome town and the Alerus Center is second to none.  The Championship was an incredible ride that we will never forget.  That team was un-stoppable.  The hospitality you showed us was remarkable.   We will forever have a soft spot in our hearts for our friends up north. Thanks for the memories and we will always be UND fans!  Nice that the conference change will bring UND closer to St. Louis soon. Looking forward to many years to come and re-visiting GF.  

BTW...we need more NG’s.

I raise a glass to you all!

Steve Greer Sr.

Glad your son chose to come to UND.  He helped create the memories that you speak of, and they were definitely great memories that we will never forget.  Thanks for your comments!

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Know some of the coaching staff at MHS. One gave Weah almost no chance to stick at UND due to his academic issues when he signed.

too bad.  I hope he gets back on track with academics whether he plays football or not.

• Upvote 2

I too had heard about how risky Weah was academically. Makes you wonder why they only brought in one back that class because it’s not like they didn’t know about his academic situation. Roster management has been, how you say, complete dogshit, under Bubba.

• Upvote 3

Team GPA of over 3.0 with 14 4.0's. They can roll the dice on a kid or two academically, you're doing it wrong if you don't. With the help and support system in place, there isn't a lack of effort of UND's side it can pay off big (see the MBB for proof), but sometimes it just doesn't work out. This wasn't a huge surprise and comes down to individual accountability. Hopefully he figures it out and finds his way to a degree regardless of whether he sees the field again. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/24/2019 at 9:37 PM, nd1sufan said:

It is partially on the coaches in the recruiting process. I live in Moorhead and heard that the NDSU staff thought he may be one of the kids like Marcus Williams and Crockett that come to college and focus ONLY on academics for a year (like WIlliams) or even two years (like Crockett). It may have been in both the program and Weah's best interest to redshirt him last year, not even practice, and get his grades in line and him used to college life. Easier to do when the kid agrees to it, and maybe Weah wouldn't agree to it.

You seem genuinely excited about it. A flurry of posts suddenly out of nowhere.  Congrats on celebrating a kids misfortune you ^%$' loser.

• Upvote 4

Well didn’t RT have football practice in the library on Tuesdays snd Thursday’s for all freshmen? Then after mid-terms, if you were above ?3.0 you could practice with the team. I believe tutors were available too.

I was impressed.....maybe Bubba can consider this.

Hope he buckles down and makes the grade!

12 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I agree - I wonder if it was more than grades.  If the staff knew that grades might cause him to be dismissed, I wouldn't have thought he would have gotten so much playing time in spring ball.

9 hours ago, SJG73 said:

I’m Steve Greer’s dad and want to thank you all for your support and criticism.  A fire needs fuel!  We need a fire under UND and it begins with you all.  Had many great times in your awesome town and the Alerus Center is second to none.  The Championship was an incredible ride that we will never forget.  That team was un-stoppable.  The hospitality you showed us was remarkable.   We will forever have a soft spot in our hearts for our friends up north. Thanks for the memories and we will always be UND fans!  Nice that the conference change will bring UND closer to St. Louis soon. Looking forward to many years to come and re-visiting GF.  

BTW...we need more NG’s.

I raise a glass to you all!

Steve Greer Sr.

Thanks for your note.  I am also glad your son chose UND and that you enjoyed your time in GF, I hope Steve Jr. did as well.  

57 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Thanks  - WOW 

and the plot takes a turn

good news but at this point I will wait for the dust to settle before I believe what is real 

irresponsible for a story to be published in the forum - but maybe he is off the team until his grades improve- if it is grades??

4 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Positive reflection on UND and on Weah, negative reflection on Fargo media jumping the gun and tarnishing a kids name unnecessarily (funny they were willing to "wait until the whole story came out" for the SU player drinking juice). Wonder if they checked the Fargo police roster last week. 

• Upvote 3