SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

2 hours ago, farmer63 said:

I have these 18 spots locked in

MVFC (4) - NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Illinois St.

Big Sky (4) - Montana, Sac St, Weber, Mont St

Colonial (2) - JMU, Villinova

Southern (1) - Wofford

Ohio Valley (2) - SE Missouri, Austin Peay

Southland (1) - Cen Arkansas

Big South (1) - Monmouth

Northeast (1) - Cen Conn St

Patriot (1) -  Holy Cross

Pioneer (1) - San Diago

That leave 6 spots to fill...

Contenders (8) :  Furman, SE Louisiana, Nichols St, Towson, Albany, Kennesaw St, S Illinois, and UND

My guess they won't take both Towson and Albany... only 1 of them.  And they won't take both SE Louisiana and Nichols St..... only the winner.   So the other 6 will be in.  But that's just my guess.  Any major upsets could still change things.

That's good stuff.

After seeing all that my guess is 7-4 won't cut it.

3 hours ago, farmer63 said:

I have these 18 spots locked in

MVFC (4) - NDSU, SDSU, UNI, Illinois St.

Big Sky (4) - Montana, Sac St, Weber, Mont St

Colonial (2) - JMU, Villinova

Southern (1) - Wofford

Ohio Valley (2) - SE Missouri, Austin Peay

Southland (1) - Cen Arkansas

Big South (1) - Monmouth

Northeast (1) - Cen Conn St

Patriot (1) -  Holy Cross

Pioneer (1) - San Diago

That leave 6 spots to fill...

Contenders (8) :  Furman, SE Louisiana, Nichols St, Towson, Albany, Kennesaw St, S Illinois, and UND

My guess they won't take both Towson and Albany... only 1 of them.  And they won't take both SE Louisiana and Nichols St..... only the winner.   So the other 6 will be in.  But that's just my guess.  Any major upsets could still change things.

The situation in the Southland is quite interesting, and it is going to have ramifications for UND no matter how it shakes out.  Central Arkansas cannot get the AQ, as SELA and Nichols would both have the head-to-head tie breaker against them.  SELA vs Nichols this weekend is basically the defacto Southland Championship game and the winner gets the AQ.  If Central Arkansas wins (as they should) against Incarnate Word, they will have 9 DI wins including one against an FBS team making them a lock for an at-large berth.  I would be shocked if the loser of SELA v. Nichols gets an at-large berth.  All three of the Southland leaders, including Central Arkansas, are below UND in the Massey Ratings.

Another potential problem for North Dakota is Kennesaw St.  For whatever reason, the pollsters just love Kennesaw.  They are currently 9th in the Coach's Poll, three spots ahead of Big South front-runner Monmouth who thrashed Kennesaw when they played.  Massey has Monmouth at 21, and Kennesaw at 31 respectively.  A loss by Kennesaw (unlikely) and a win by Monmouth this weekend would strengthen the case for UND.  

It's going to be really close as to whether or not UND makes it.  I'm not overly optimistic.  Past results indicate that a 7-4 North Dakota team doesn't impress the selection committee.

Before the season started, our Strength of Schedule was #1 in the land, based on 2018 results of course.  As it has shaken out, our current Strength of Schedule is #15.  That still could be favorable for us, as Towson is the only other bubble team with a higher SOS.........

17 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

The situation in the Southland is quite interesting, and it is going to have ramifications for UND no matter how it shakes out.  Central Arkansas cannot get the AQ, as SELA and Nichols would both have the head-to-head tie breaker against them.  SELA vs Nichols this weekend is basically the defacto Southland Championship game and the winner gets the AQ.  If Central Arkansas wins (as they should) against Incarnate Word, they will have 9 DI wins including one against an FBS team making them a lock for an at-large berth.  I would be shocked if the loser of SELA v. Nichols gets an at-large berth.  All three of the Southland leaders, including Central Arkansas, are below UND in the Massey Ratings.

Another potential problem for North Dakota is Kennesaw St.  For whatever reason, the pollsters just love Kennesaw.  They are currently 9th in the Coach's Poll, three spots ahead of Big South front-runner Monmouth who thrashed Kennesaw when they played.  Massey has Monmouth at 21, and Kennesaw at 31 respectively.  A loss by Kennesaw (unlikely) and a win by Monmouth this weekend would strengthen the case for UND.  

It's going to be really close as to whether or not UND makes it.  I'm not overly optimistic.  Past results indicate that a 7-4 North Dakota team doesn't impress the selection committee.

Before the season started, our Strength of Schedule was #1 in the land, based on 2018 results of course.  As it has shaken out, our current Strength of Schedule is #15.  That still could be favorable for us, as Towson is the only other bubble team with a higher SOS.........

If Nicholls loses they shouldn't get I. Before UND. They lost to Sam Houston and we beat Sammy.

2 hours ago, Kab said:

At $130,000 that’s more seats than we would sell

who sets the price of,admission?

The NCAA takes 75% of the net receipts or the bid amount, whichever is higher. Ticket prices are set by the school. There is no minimum ticket price for the prelim round, but all subsequent rounds must not be lower than the lowest face value during the season. No complementary tickets may be given out. Bands from either school do not have to pay. I believe regular students must pay to get in, but that the NCAA allows student ticket sales to be set at $5. However I can't find that in the manual so I could be wrong or it could have been changed. In the past, NDSU has purchased a block of those $5 tickets themselves, then given them to students for free.

Minimum bids per round are: Prelim - $30k, 2nd - $40k, Quarters - $50k, Semis - $60k. 

Of course, those are only minimums, and you're not likely to win a bid with them.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2019-20D1MFB_PrelimRndHostOpsManual.pdf

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2019-20D1MFB_BidChecklistInfo.pdf

25 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

The NCAA takes 75% of the net receipts or the bid amount, whichever is higher. Ticket prices are set by the school. There is no minimum ticket price for the prelim round, but all subsequent rounds must not be lower than the lowest face value during the season. No complementary tickets may be given out. Bands from either school do not have to pay. I believe regular students must pay to get in, but that the NCAA allows student ticket sales to be set at $5. However I can't find that in the manual so I could be wrong or it could have been changed. In the past, NDSU has purchased a block of those $5 tickets themselves, then given them to students for free.

Minimum bids per round are: Prelim - $30k, 2nd - $40k, Quarters - $50k, Semis - $60k. 

Of course, those are only minimums, and you're not likely to win a bid with them.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2019-20D1MFB_PrelimRndHostOpsManual.pdf

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/football/d1/2019-20D1MFB_BidChecklistInfo.pdf

Yeah last time the students used fee money to buy some and then fans donated a lot of $5 student tickets to Nodak Nation. Does that $130k number sound right to you as probably a typical winning bid? 

31 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Yeah last time the students used fee money to buy some and then fans donated a lot of $5 student tickets to Nodak Nation. Does that $130k number sound right to you as probably a typical winning bid? 

I don't think I've ever seen the actual bid numbers, so I wouldn't know. For a lot of programs, I think it boils down to how much of a loss you can take and not ruin your athletic budget for the spring.

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

6,500 at $20 per seat is certainly possible.  Our last playoff game had well over that.  Thanksgiving weekend is tough though.

I think the $130,000 is a bit low. I think NDSU has had to pay between $200,000 and $250,000 the last couple of years.  

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't know the final number but we submitted what we feel was an aggressive first round bid.  UND anted up $ XXX and then boosters & FB lettermen made commitments to increase the bid to what we hope is a successful level.

Some of the numbers being quoted here are quite high for first round games. 

7 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I don't think NDSU has had to bid for a playoff game for about 8 or 9 years........

I thought the question was how much to pay for a cupcake non-conference game. You are right, NDSU has only had to bid for a playoff game the first year they were in.

5 hours ago, ND1 said:

I believe the bids were due today, I suspect UND will be aggressive.  One would have to guess if it plays into selection.  I have been told they first select the teams and then open the bids. 

If UNI were to be your opponent, they may be able to bid higher. But that may be a favorable draw. UNI is very inconsistent and are prone to lose early playoff games. 

4 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I don't think NDSU has had to bid for a playoff game for about 8 or 9 years........

I know what you mean, but you still have to bid. I believe it was sometime in the last decade that a seeded team ended up traveling to an unseeded team because the AD didn't submit even a minimum bid.

And NDSU's bid is likely in the $700k-$900k range for rounds 2-4. I'm assuming this because I've heard NDSU makes about $300k profit on each of those games. If NDSU is getting around 25% of the net, that would put the NCAA's share around at $900k per game. Then figure that NDSU would bid under that amount just in case. Prelim round is likely bidded far less because a sellout is very unlikely due to the short notice and proximity to Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

I know what you mean, but you still have to bid. I believe it was sometime in the last decade that a seeded team ended up traveling to an unseeded team because the AD didn't submit even a minimum bid.

And NDSU's bid is likely in the $700k-$900k range for rounds 2-4. I'm assuming this because I've heard NDSU makes about $300k profit on each of those games. If NDSU is getting around 25% of the net, that would put the NCAA's share around at $900k per game. Then figure that NDSU would bid under that amount just in case. Prelim round is likely bidded far less because a sellout is very unlikely due to the short notice and proximity to Thanksgiving.

Only the first round is a bid, after the first round the highest seeded team hosts

53 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Only the first round is a bid, after the first round the highest seeded team hosts

All rounds are bid. Among other things, what happens in the third round if the 4 and 5 seeds both lose in the second? And as for the seeds, they still have to submit a bid regardless. The bid isn't just about the money, it's also all the documentation about facilities, insurance, equipment, etc., etc., etc. Even if you received a seed, if you didn't submit a bid, you won't host the game. The higher seeded team will automatically win the bid as long as they at least bid the minimum, but you still have to submit the paperwork.

36 minutes ago, Hammersmith said:

All rounds are bid. Among other things, what happens in the third round if the 4 and 5 seeds both lose in the second? And as for the seeds, they still have to submit a bid regardless. The bid isn't just about the money, it's also all the documentation about facilities, insurance, equipment, etc., etc., etc. Even if you received a seed, if you didn't submit a bid, you won't host the game. The higher seeded team will automatically win the bid as long as they at least bid the minimum, but you still have to submit the paperwork.

I think it was JMU who failed to do so one year. I think they got sent to Eastern Kentucky or something lmaooo

11 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I think it was JMU who failed to do so one year. I think they got sent to Eastern Kentucky or something lmaooo

You might be correct, but I think I might have been thinking of Georgia Southern in 2010. Back then, it was a 20-team field with the top-5 seeded. Georgia Southern was unseeded and slotted to face (2)William & Mary in the second round(after facing SCSU in the first). They upset W&M to face also unseeded Wofford in the third round. Since both teams were unseeded, the game would be hosted by the school with the winning bid. Except the Georgia Southern AD never submitted a bid. So the hosting went to Wofford by default.

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?79953-The-George-Anne-has-confirmed-that-GSU-didn-t-even-bid&highlight=sam+baker

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have a feeling we see SDSU on NDSU's side of the bracket.  Seems like some things never change.  It would be perfectly committee like for them to have SDSU as a 4 or 5 so they can pay for a bus to Fargo.

As a three loss team SDSU likely should be seeded 5 through 8.  With one of those losses being FBS Minnesota and a “quality NDSU loss” a 5 seed is likely where they belong.  If both Montana and Sac St lose those weekend maybe they slide up to a 3 but I think the Big Sky is deserving of having one top 3 seed this year.  

8 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Not that it matters, but at this point in the season, why would a team like NDSU ever bid over the minimum (assuming their current position in the polls for the year)? As long as they bid the minimum and meet the qualifications, they are going to get their home game if they are the higher seeded team. Probably semantics and they aren't leaving money on the table but would seem to be a waste if you feel like you are guaranteed a seed. If you are on the seeded team bubble, then I could see why you might want to go above the minimum in case you match up against another unseeded team.

On 11/19/2019 at 10:24 AM, jdub27 said:

Not that it matters, but at this point in the season, why would a team like NDSU ever bid over the minimum (assuming their current position in the polls for the year)? As long as they bid the minimum and meet the qualifications, they are going to get their home game if they are the higher seeded team. Probably semantics and they aren't leaving money on the table but would seem to be a waste if you feel like you are guaranteed a seed. If you are on the seeded team bubble, then I could see why you might want to go above the minimum in case you match up against another unseeded team.

Seeds? Bids? Money?

C'mon man ... it's all about the student-athlete experience. You know that ... 

tenor.gif

• Like 1