SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Why wouldn’t we want that MSU win as strong as possible? Also don’t forget EWU has a non D1 win.

6-2 9-3 > 5-3 7-4 if you lump us into the Big Sky mix, which I think they will.   Maybe EWU isn't a concern, but we've seen crazier.  I don't think the committee takes 6 from the Big Sky.  

1 minute ago, Shawn-O said:

6-2 9-3 > 5-3 7-4 if you lump us into the Big Sky mix, which I think they will.   Maybe EWU isn't a concern, but we've seen crazier.  I don't think the committee takes 6 from the Big Sky.  

Who has EWU beat?  Six wins over average teams.  Only ranked team they've beaten is us and JSU who is no longer ranked.  

#26 in both STATS and Coaches polls, disappointing, given how valuable each spot is, but overall, in a pretty good spot. You most likely aren't going to move down with a win, so win the next two weeks, the floor is #26. Two teams in the Top 25 are from the Ivy league, so for playoff purposes, UND would be at that #24 spot. 

4 minutes ago, AJS said:

#26 in both STATS and Coaches polls, disappointing, given how valuable each spot is, but overall, in a pretty good spot. You most likely aren't going to move down with a win, so win the next two weeks, the floor is #26. Two teams in the Top 25 are from the Ivy league, so for playoff purposes, UND would be at that #24 spot. 

Don't forget auto-bids.

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We are their signature win.

The committee that selects playoff teams is not bright.  We have all established that. 7-5 EWU vs 7-4 UND.  EWU beats UND. EWU pounds ISU. ISU pounds UND. Regardless of EWU only having 6 FCS wins they'll get in over UND.

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

The committee that selects playoff teams is not bright.  We have all established that. 7-5 EWU vs 7-4 UND.  EWU beats UND. EWU pounds ISU. ISU pounds UND. Regardless of EWU only having 6 FCS wins they'll get in over UND.

After 2015 I’m never comfortable with even the idea of the committee.

Here's what it comes down to.  We should be 7-4 this season.  If we lose either of the next two games at home against horrible teams, we don't deserve anything.  At 7-4, We have a great win against Montana St, a good win against Sam Houston, a bad loss against Idaho St, and 2 of our loses are against the #1 and #2/#3 team in the country.  A lot yet to be determined and the loss yesterday put us firmly on the bubble.   But our resume certainly is stronger than many of the bubble teams out there.  Loss at Idaho St and the fact that we didn't schedule a 12th game might be the factors that keep us out. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Don't forget auto-bids.

Good call, I definitely did. How many are we talking? Outside of the Pioneer, is there another that usually steals a spot? 

Doesn't really change my overall thought process. Sitting today, it's kind of out of their hands, which although isn't a spot you want to be, but would take pretty much everything to go wrong to keep them from making it at 7-4. Although I do put more stock in the Coaches / STATS polls, it's also nice that Massey, Athlon, AGS all have UND higher than #26. 

36 minutes ago, AJS said:

Good call, I definitely did. How many are we talking? Outside of the Pioneer, is there another that usually steals a spot? 

Patriot league definitely gonna steal a bid, just looked at standings..flat out awful conference this year. 

Don't forget the MEAC and SWAC champions usually opt for the celebration bowl. Florida A&M (#14 in coaches poll) currently in line to be MEAC champion.

There's also some conferences where unranked teams still have a shot to get the autobid. Gotta root for the favorites to win those.