SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

Just now, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

?

Top 8 FCS teams get a first round bye, with then a home game.
With the next 16 tourney teams, as long as your team makes the first round of playoffs, does it really matter at what ranking you are - the bidding takes care of home games?

If the Committee is objective about Resume and UND wins out.  Then UND should be one of the 16.  But polls give credit to some teams i.e Wofford.  Now if the beat Furman and the other team can't remember both of those would be wins with above .500  Different story.  But show me first.

Just now, Kab said:

The lack of a 12th game will bite us, it shouldn’t but will be an excuse for the committee 

herder has been against us all year for some reason

how does their vote affect the committee vote ?

Herder is a bison. 

Their vote isn't supposed to affect the committee vote, but the committee is human. They are affected by public perception the same as anyone else, and public perception is formed by people like Herder and McLaughlin. Craig Haley is probably the most respected though. 

2 minutes ago, Kab said:

The lack of a 12th game will bite us, it shouldn’t but will be an excuse for the committee 

herder has been against us all year for some reason

how does their vote affect the committee vote ?

just influences the members.    I do have hope with committee.  Montana and Nichols are both in the committee.  Both have reason to support UND since UND beat SHSU and MSU, UCD.   All three of those could be in the discussions for playoffs yet.   We can't have 3 SOCon teams Furman, Wofford and ???   can't remember and too lazy to look up.

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Herder is a bison. 

Their vote isn't supposed to affect the committee vote, but the committee is human. They are affected by public perception the same as anyone else, and public perception is formed by people like Herder and McLaughlin. Craig Haley is probably the most respected though. 

I will say this, if you have a problem with the STATS poll, Herder and McLaughlin are not the guys your anger should be directed towards. I'm sure they do more research than 95% of the other voters. 

9 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Coaches have to be crazy busy during the year, I wonder how much time they can even dedicate to evaluating teams before voting.  How many coaches have an in depth knowledge of the details of Central Connecticut State. 

14 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Others have said it before, but it bears repeating. We lost by 3 to the #3 team in country, on the road! It’s hard for a game to be any closer than that. Aren’t lower ranked teams supposed to lose away games to higher ranked teams? I don’t understand how anyone can argue that Saturday’s performance makes them think that we’re worse than they thought we were. It seems like these pollsters try to do too much projecting of how the playoff committee will vote, rather than actually rate teams by strength. 

3 minutes ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

Others have said it before, but it bears repeating. We lost by 3 to the #3 team in country, on the road! It’s hard for a game to be any closer than that. Aren’t lower ranked teams supposed to lose away games to higher ranked teams? I don’t understand how anyone can argue that Saturday’s performance makes them think that we’re worse than they thought we were. It seems like these pollsters try to do too much projecting of how the playoff committee will vote, rather than actually rate teams by strength. 

Considering we were 16.5 - 20 point dogs, people voting and looking at this on paper should not have lowered our position. Those who actually watched the game should consider raising us a spot or 2. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

To be fair if UND goes 7-4 the game on the schedule that will decide if they are in or out of the playoffs will be the beatdown loss to a 3-9 ISU team. All other game outcomes will be secondary.

I'd be interested if there is a worse loss than ISU for any team under consideration in the country.  I can't think of one.  If UND is 7-4 and on the outside looking in, that will be it.   

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

To be fair if UND goes 7-4 the game on the schedule that will decide if they are in or out of the playoffs will be the beatdown loss to a 3-9 ISU team. All other game outcomes will be secondary.

The "quality loss" to Weber has to void that out. Anyone looking objectively would agree since UND has some high quality wins. The SHSU win is starting to look a bit better now. Two losses to top 5 teams and Eastern loss not looking that bad anymore.