SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

45 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

He moved Wofford from nowhere in his poll last week to #11 this week because the beat Mercer(4-6).   so far this year Wofford has Not beaten one team, one team with a winning record.       what joke.  Biased for sure.  It might be a southern accent.

Wofford with their SOS at 58. 

UND's SOS is 7

• Upvote 2

Bottom line is, we let a game get away from us. We have 2 games left on our schedule that we should win comfortably. Get to 7-4 and see what happens. 

Big Sky likely has 4 spots although if Montana State dumps 2 and EWU and Davis both get to 7-5 as well it gets interesting and would not be in our favor.

Big South has 1 spot for sure, but a bad scenario for us would be for both Monmouth and Kennesaw to win out to finish 10-2 or even if Monmouth finishes 9-3 as they will be conference champion and the committee might take Kennesaw at 10-2....with their schedule Kennesaw will finish 10-2 and Monmouth is unlikely to dump 2.

CAA has 4 spots currently. UNH has 2 toss up games so they could finish anywhere from 5-6 to 7-4...problem is Albany could easily finish 8-4 and keep the 4th spot for the conference...they play each other so both can't happen.

MVC has 5 spots currently with 4 pretty much locked. SDSU has a couple tough games so not sure what happens if they finish 7-5(unlikely they end season on 3 game skid). S. Illinois is the interesting team as they will most certainly finish 7-5 unless NDSU tanks a game...at 7-5 they will need SEMO to win out which is also likely. They would have 4 losses to playoff teams and 1 to an FBS school.

Northeast Conference will get 1 spot...probably C. Connecticut although they play RMU and Duquesne to finish the season so the conference is very much up for grabs.

OVC currently has 2 spots and both Austin Peay and SEMO are likely to win out and finish 9-3.

Patriot League will get 1 spot. Currently Lafayette controls their destiny with a 3-7 overall record.

Southern has 2 spots currently. Furman is 7-3 and will finish either 8-4 or 9-3 while Wofford is 6-3 and could finish anywhere from 6-5 to 8-3...The Citadel is in the mix at 6-4 with 2 tossup games remaining.

Southland is a mess. Currently has 2 spots with C. Arkansas at 7-3(will finish 8-4 or 9-3) and SELA at 6-3(will finish 7-4 or 8-3). SHSU is 6-4 but will finish at 8-4. Nicholls is 6-4 and could finish 0-2, 1-1, or 2-0 and McNeese is 6-4 and will finish either 1-1 or 2-0.

San Diego gets the Pioneer spot at 9-2 likely.

If South Carolina State finishes at 8-3 and 3rd in their conference(no HBC bowl) will they get a spot?

UND should finish at 7-4 as an independent.

I count 33 teams still at least in the mix for the 24 spots available.

Why the same experts in Fargo spend so much energy worrying about us when "we aren't even their biggest rival" just befuddles me.  

I have zero clue what is important with the FCS selection process, and if a team can really fall out of a poll after losing on the road to a top three team then it is a $hit show.

I'm not a fan of the "you've done nothing previous years to build your brand".  So these kids are being held accountable for what guys here in 2015 didn't do?

Gut feeling is we don't get in at 7-4.  Been to that rodeo.  

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Why the same experts in Fargo spend so much energy worrying about us when "we aren't even their biggest rival" just befuddles me.  

I have zero clue what is important with the FCS selection process, and if a team can really fall out of a poll after losing on the road to a top three team then it is a $hit show.

I'm not a fan of the "you've done nothing previous years to build your brand".  So these kids are being held accountable for what guys here in 2015 didn't do?

Gut feeling is we don't get in at 7-4.  Been to that rodeo.  

"you've done nothing previous years to build your brand" is a cop-out on laziness on the part of pollsters. If they don't have time to do the job they shouldn't be part of the weekly poll - worse yet is the Coach's Poll - that is probably done by an intern every week as reflected by how out touch it is with what is happening on the field. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, petey23 said:

Bottom line is, we let a game get away from us. We have 2 games left on our schedule that we should win comfortably. Get to 7-4 and see what happens. 

Big Sky likely has 4 spots although if Montana State dumps 2 and EWU and Davis both get to 7-5 as well it gets interesting and would not be in our favor.

Big South has 1 spot for sure, but a bad scenario for us would be for both Monmouth and Kennesaw to win out to finish 10-2 or even if Monmouth finishes 9-3 as they will be conference champion and the committee might take Kennesaw at 10-2....with their schedule Kennesaw will finish 10-2 and Monmouth is unlikely to dump 2.

CAA has 4 spots currently. UNH has 2 toss up games so they could finish anywhere from 5-6 to 7-4...problem is Albany could easily finish 8-4 and keep the 4th spot for the conference...they play each other so both can't happen.

MVC has 5 spots currently with 4 pretty much locked. SDSU has a couple tough games so not sure what happens if they finish 7-5(unlikely they end season on 3 game skid). S. Illinois is the interesting team as they will most certainly finish 7-5 unless NDSU tanks a game...at 7-5 they will need SEMO to win out which is also likely. They would have 4 losses to playoff teams and 1 to an FBS school.

Northeast Conference will get 1 spot...probably C. Connecticut although they play RMU and Duquesne to finish the season so the conference is very much up for grabs.

OVC currently has 2 spots and both Austin Peay and SEMO are likely to win out and finish 9-3.

Patriot League will get 1 spot. Currently Lafayette controls their destiny with a 3-7 overall record.

Southern has 2 spots currently. Furman is 7-3 and will finish either 8-4 or 9-3 while Wofford is 6-3 and could finish anywhere from 6-5 to 8-3...The Citadel is in the mix at 6-4 with 2 tossup games remaining.

Southland is a mess. Currently has 2 spots with C. Arkansas at 7-3(will finish 8-4 or 9-3) and SELA at 6-3(will finish 7-4 or 8-3). SHSU is 6-4 but will finish at 8-4. Nicholls is 6-4 and could finish 0-2, 1-1, or 2-0 and McNeese is 6-4 and will finish either 1-1 or 2-0.

San Diego gets the Pioneer spot at 9-2 likely.

If South Carolina State finishes at 8-3 and 3rd in their conference(no HBC bowl) will they get a spot?

UND should finish at 7-4 as an independent.

I count 33 teams still at least in the mix for the 24 spots available.

EWU's 7th win is a NAIA non counter. They are a 6 FCS win team.

37 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

EWU's 7th win is a NAIA non counter. They are a 6 FCS win team.

good catch...that should help as it keeps them out of comparing a 7-4 UND, a 7-5 UCD, and a 7-5 Montana St. as we win that comparison...if EWU is in the nix it gets jumbled.

I know we aren't in the BIg Sky but schedule wise and comparison wise we will likely be looked at that way....just without the BIg Sky in our corner.

3 minutes ago, petey23 said:

good catch...that should help as it keeps them out of comparing a 7-4 UND, a 7-5 UCD, and a 7-5 Montana St. as we win that comparison...if EWU is in the nix it gets jumbled.

I know we aren't in the BIg Sky but schedule wise and comparison wise we will likely be looked at that way....just without the BIg Sky in our corner.

Chaves better be making some calls! Hey remember that time you were so thankful and said "I really owe you one."

We were in the exact same position last year and did not get it done. It hasn't been mentioned since it seems it's easier for some to focus on negativity but our new OC and his system is looking really good for a first year. It's fun to watch a game when you know something unexpected could happen on offense. I want to feel like when we win out and finish 7-4 with our schedule that will be enough - but past history has shown that the system for making the choices in a closed room and the politics that are involved makes me hesitant. 

38 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Chaves better be making some calls! Hey remember that time you were so thankful and said "I really owe you one."

I believe we are in right now and will be at 7-4. If we lose to either of the teams remaining on our schedule we certainly would not deserve to be in the playoffs and the conversation around our football program becomes a completely different discussion.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

Prediction before today's polls come out. If UND is ranked in both STATS polls, they will be a lock for the playoffs with wins the next two weekends. If they're out, it'll be more of a 50/50 type situation with two wins.

I'll give it a try, I think we move up in the STATS one cog.

STATS FCS Top 25:           21 - North Dakota - MY Prediction, and agree if we are in today and win next two, should be in.