SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Football Polls

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

On 11/17/2018 at 9:59 AM, bison73 said:

They did have a kicker. As a matter of fact the attempted an XP on their last TD.  But it was blocked and PSU ran it back for 2. LOL

Their starting kicker got hurt, knob.  The next guy didn't have a clue how to kick.  Hence, they didn't have a kicker so went for two.

19 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Their starting kicker got hurt, knob.  The next guy didn't have a clue how to kick.  Hence, they didn't have a kicker so went for two.

Such an anoxious  subject to illicit name calling?  I guess the strain of Bubba ball has you a tad edgy.:0

• 11 months later...

Time to bump up this thread.
If we can play good this weekend at Ogden and last two games, we should ratchet up in these polls as the regular season finishes.

This weeks polls:

FCS Coaches Poll:             22 - North Dakota
STATS FCS Top 25:           22 - North Dakota

Hero Sports:                       16 - NORTH DAKOTA 5-3

Athlon Sprots:                    15 - North Dakota (5-3 Independent)

Compughterratings:          12 - North Dakota

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Time to bump up this thread.
If we can play good this weekend at Ogden and last two games, we should ratchet up in these polls as the season regular finishes.

This weeks polls:

FCS Coaches Poll:             22 - North Dakota
STATS FCS Top 25:           22 - North Dakota

Hero Sports:                       16 - NORTH DAKOTA 5-3

Athlon Sprots:                    15 - North Dakota (5-3 Independent)

Compughterratings:          12 - North Dakota

AGS Poll:       17

• Upvote 1

Looking at STATS FCS poll and it appears losses must be analyzed as the differentiating factor, or at least carry more weight than wins.  I removed team names, but kept them in order (#11, #12, #17, #18, #21, #22).

• Team 1 - 3 losses, 6 wins against teams with combined record 17-37
  • Team 2 - 3 losses, 6 wins against teams with combined record 18-37, beat Team 3
  • Team 3 - 3 losses, 5 wins (FCS) against teams with combined record 23-22
  • Team 4 - 3 losses, 6 wins against teams with combined record 19-34
  • Team 5 - 4 losses, 5 wins against teams with combined record 19-26
  • Team 6 - 3 losses, 5 wins against teams with combined record 21-23, beat Team 2

Seems UND has recently been a team that carries a couple quality wins to go along with a couple ugly losses so that probably impacts my opinion, but am wondering why it isn't a team's wins that are given more weight.  To me, a team that has one or two bad performances but has beaten a handful of higher quality opponents deserves a higher ranking than one who can only seem to beat the lower quality teams.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, F'nHawks said:

Looking at STATS FCS poll and it appears losses must be analyzed as the differentiating factor, or at least carry more weight than wins.  I removed team names, but kept them in order (#11, #12, #17, #18, #21, #22).

• Team 2 - 3 losses, 6 wins against teams with combined record 18-37, beat Team 3
  • Team 6 - 3 losses, 5 wins against teams with combined record 21-23, beat Team 2

Seems UND has recently been a team that carries a couple quality wins to go along with a couple ugly losses so that probably impacts my opinion, but am wondering why it isn't a team's wins that are given more weight.  To me, a team that has one or two bad performances but has beaten a handful of higher quality opponents deserves a higher ranking than one who can only seem to beat the lower quality teams.

If there were ever a time to bring out the "Leave No Doubt" mantra, the Weber State game is it.  Win and you're probably in.  Lose and you're leaving your destiny in someone else's hands.

8 minutes ago, F'nHawks said:

Very good Illustration of conference biases.

Best thing about Hockey selection is teams are determined by Pairwise rankings.  Love UND Football, but the way the teams are selected is a joke.  The fact the UND is not in a conference and will not have anyone in there corner fighting to get them in is a joke.  Wish they would use the computer rankings than no one would have a good reason to complain.

Just now, Big Green said:

Best thing about Hockey selection is teams are determined by Pairwise rankings.  Love UND Football, but the way the teams are selected is a joke.  The fact the UND is not in a conference and will not have anyone in there corner fighting to get them in is a joke.  Wish they would use the computer rankings than no one would have a good reason to complain.

I'd agree, but there aren't enough inter-conference games or even games overall to have a true computer ratings system like hockey.

And as previously stated, the "not having anyone in their corner" thing is overblown. This year, both the Southland and Big Sky have motivation to support UND as a quality team to help their own conference. And UND didn't have anyone in the room for them last year, yet somehow managed to be in the "First 4 out". Even the biggest UND homer wouldn't have given them that benefit of the doubt. I don't think anyone thought they were even under consideration, let along that close to getting in at 6-5 with some bad losses and an end of season melt-down. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, F'nHawks said:

• Team 1 - 3 losses, 6 wins against teams with combined record 17-37                              SOS #37
  • Team 2 - 3 losses, 6 wins against teams with combined record 18-37, beat Team 3      SOS #41
  • Team 3 - 3 losses, 5 wins (FCS) against teams with combined record 23-22                   SOS #23
  • Team 4 - 3 losses, 6 wins against teams with combined record 19-34                              SOS #43
  • Team 5 - 4 losses, 5 wins against teams with combined record 19-26                              SOS #24
  • Team 6 - 3 losses, 5 wins against teams with combined record 21-23, beat Team 2      SOS #17

I added the strength of schedule in Bold for each team.   So team 6  had the toughest schedule yet ranked lower than the others.  ummmm

8 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Plenty of teams would complain.  When you have 8 teams from the Valley and Big Sky in the playoffs, all those overrated teams in the SoCon would do plenty of bitchin!!

Just now, Nodak78 said:

I added the strength of schedule in Bold for each team.   So team 6  had the toughest schedule yet ranked lower than the others.  ummmm

And Team 6 beat Team 2

Everything points to the "quality" of your losses as being more important than your victories and the strength/quality of those victories.  Is Team 6's win over Team 2 helping Team 2 more than it is Team 6???  It's a quality loss for Team 2, but "just" a win for Team 6...

Also I think what comes into play is your preseason ranking. If you start the year higher (meaning rated higher as in top 10-15) in the polls and lose you slip down a little. If you start at 22 or not in the polls, you lose and then you are totally out of it and have to work your way back in and have a higher perceptual mountain to climb. Look at UC Davis and EWU where they started the year and where they are now. If the preseason poll and perception of us had us starting the year at say #6 I bet we would be higher right now than where we are, even with the same actual game results. Preseason polls don’t mean much, but yet they do, and they aren’t going away anytime. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Also I think what comes into play is your preseason ranking. If you start the year higher (meaning rated higher as in top 10-15) in the polls and lose you slip down a little. If you start at 22 or not in the polls, you lose and then you are totally out of it and have to work your way back in and have a higher perceptual mountain to climb. Look at UC Davis and EWU where they started the year and where they are now. If the preseason poll and perception of us had us starting the year at say #6 I bet we would be higher right now than where we are, even with the same actual game results. Preseason polls don’t mean much, but yet they do, and they aren’t going away anytime. 

It’s pretty simple, it’s confirmation bias.

25 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

Yeah I don't know how that guy can have UND at #16 then drop them out of the top #25 after losing to #3 by 3 on the road.

It gives FCS football pollsters zero credibility...zero.  You watch that game yesterday and tell me that the better team by leaps and bounds won.  

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

He moved Wofford from nowhere in his poll last week to #11 this week because the beat Mercer(4-6).   so far this year Wofford has Not beaten one team, one team with a winning record.       what joke.  Biased for sure.  It might be a southern accent.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1