SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Attendance

nodak651

Game start times might have something to do with consistency -- they can't have a night game on a home hockey night so that would create scheduling issues after October and just two years ago they flip flopped between 1:00 and 4:00 games throughout the season and I think they got some push back that it was hard to keep track of - don't agree but just saying.  

I prefer the night games as well and would think most younger people would also.  Many people work on Saturdays too, so the early starts prevent those people from attending too.  The 1:00 start time blows the entire day for anyone that plans on attending, especially if they are driving in from any distance.

I will say though that the 1:00 should be a small advantage when playing some Big Sky schools, especially the ones from the pacific time zone.  

33 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I prefer the night games as well and would think most younger people would also.  Many people work on Saturdays too, so the early starts prevent those people from attending too.  The 1:00 start time blows the entire day for anyone that plans on attending, especially if they are driving in from any distance.

I will say though that the 1:00 should be a small advantage when playing some Big Sky schools, especially the ones from the pacific time zone.  

Blows the entire day for people just driving from Fargo...  Leave at 10:00 to be there at 11:00 to tailgate, then the game, out for supper, and not home until at least 7:00, often later.  That's 9+ hours, a few beers, two "bad for you" meals, and quite likely an early bedtime.  Drive from further out, and it would be magnified.

As for the start time advantage with the pacific time zone teams - that's more than a small advantage.  If you're interested enough, look at stats for NFL teams traveling east with early starts (I did this a few years back).  The number of upsets by the home teams in those games is too big to be ignored. 

If you're not interested enough to check stats, just listen to the color guy on an NFL broadcast who played for a west coast team.  When they broadcast a noon start for one of those pacific teams, there's almost assuredly a comment, or five, about the trip cross-country and how tough the early start is. 

Here is my ideal scheduling solution:

-  The first home game every year should be a 7:00pm game.  Homecoming should be a 1.00pm start.  All other home games should start at 2:30pm.

The first game of the year needs to be an event.  Having an afternoon tailgate on a late August/Early September Saturday should bring a huge crowd.  Weather is nice and it's not too early in the morning.  The first home game of the year is already exciting.  Having it in "PrimeTime" will just add to that.

Homecoming should be at 1:00 due to the activities that are always planned for that evening.

Having the rest of the home games at 2:30 will do a lot to increase the attendance.

Tailgate

We have all seen the tailgate lot right when it opens.  It's like a ghost town.  There are obviously a good number of die hards there at 8:00, but the majority of the lot is empty.  Seems like the tailgate really starts to pick up between 11 and noon.  So by the time everything starts picking up, its time to go into the game.  Pushing back the gametime will push back the tailgate start time, which I think is a good thing.

Game

Later starts lets people get things done in the morning, take their kids to activities, people can go hunting, etc.  And you still have plenty of time to get to the game.  Also, students have more time to get going and get over to the game.  

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

-  The first home game every year should be a 7:00pm game.  Homecoming should be a 1.00pm start.  All other home games should start at 2:30pm.

The first game of the year needs to be an event.  Having an afternoon tailgate on a late August/Early September Saturday should bring a huge crowd.  Weather is nice and it's not too early in the morning.  The first home game of the year is already exciting.  Having it in "PrimeTime" will just add to that.

Homecoming should be at 1:00 due to the activities that are always planned for that evening.

Having the rest of the home games at 2:30 will do a lot to increase the attendance.

Tailgate

We have all seen the tailgate lot right when it opens.  It's like a ghost town.  There are obviously a good number of die hards there at 8:00, but the majority of the lot is empty.  Seems like the tailgate really starts to pick up between 11 and noon.  So by the time everything starts picking up, its time to go into the game.  Pushing back the gametime will push back the tailgate start time, which I think is a good thing.

Game

Later starts lets people get things done in the morning, take their kids to activities, people can go hunting, etc.  And you still have plenty of time to get to the game.  Also, students have more time to get going and get over to the game.  

Agree with everything except the 7:00 start time.  By the time the game ends, we would be pushing 10:30 and I think a lot more people would leave before the game ends than usual - college kids would leave to meet their friends and parents would leave with their kids.  I think 5:00 or 4:00 (like USD this year) would be better in that regard, while maintaining the benefits of a later start time.  USD had amazing attendance this year, and it was at 4:00.

13 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

There are attendance numbers for football going back to 1999 in the Wiki.

The all time attendance record was set in 2008, and none of USD, SDSU, NDSU, or UNI visited the Alerus.

2001 was the second best season for attendance, obviously that was the national championship year.  We hosted NDSU and SDSU.  NDSU was a sell out, SDSU was the lowest attended regular season game of the year.

2007 was the third best attended season in Alerus history.  None of USD, SDSU, NDSU, or UNI were in Grand Forks that year.

Now most everyone who is here regularly knows I am a big proponent of the Big Sky so I admit I am bias that way.  My point is that history shows that it is no guarantee that the former NCC schools being regulars on the schedule would be a boon to attendance.  The final game with NDSU in 2003 did not even sell out, and that was another year where we landed in the national championship game. 

To be blunt, I don't think the potential fans that are in Grand Forks that we are trying to attract are very knowledgeable about college football or probably college athletics in general.  For example in 2013, the game against Robert Morris outdrew the game against Montana who was ranked #7 at the time.  So no, I don't think "familiar" opponents are going to make a difference.  Might as well just table that idea and embrace the Big Sky! 

I understand your points... attendance has been sporadic & definitely follows the trend of better attendance at beginning of the year & less at end of the season, no matter how successful the team has been. Looking at geaux_sioux's post, we all know the 4-letter word for the drop-off in attendance in the FCS era... M-U-S-S.  Nice to see Bubba's staff & a now successful UND program working it's way out of that hole.

BUT... This years USD game (11,477) has been by far the highest-attended game of the season. AND the highest attended in the Alerus since a 2009 game with... you guessed it... USD.  I get that it was home opener, Potato Bowl & a 4pm start, but it outdrew conference matchups versus #16 Poly by 1.4k, Homecoming featuring a #18 UND versus a just-outside the top 25 Southern Utah by almost 1k & a battle of two unbeaten conference teams in a just-outside the top 25 Weber versus #12 UND by almost 2.8k.  Personally, I'm a 6yr season ticket-holder, intently follow the team every day, so I would be considered a "die-hard" fan like yourself & most posters on here.  Beginning of the year, the home game I most looked forward to was USD... I guess I just appreciate the history of the matchup. 

Remember, SDSU was terrible most of their D2 years... I'm guessing their current perennial top-15 FCS program would be a pretty big draw coming into the Alerus, along with NDSU and a up & coming USD program. Btw, the SDSU game was the highest attended game in the 2013 season & the only time UND went over 10k since 2010 to this season. I also think some hard-nosed battles with a historically tough UNI team would fill some seats up too.  Home NDSU games would be a guaranteed sellout & have always been historically the best attended game of the year.  That's a no-brainer.  I haven't seen too many Big Sky teams move the needle for attendance (other than maybe Montana).  It is too bad we didn't get Montana or EWU at home this year just to see how attendance would be.

Not trying to start a Big Sky versus MVFC debate at all.  Just stating my opinion, doesn't mean either one of us is right or wrong. 

13 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Hmmm....

I admit that I am the one that did that work in the wiki starting several years ago and just keep adding to it after each season.  Which are the discrepencies you found.  I'll take a look and fix them.

As far as sell outs, 2001 against NDSU, and 2009 against USD are the only official sell outs that I came across.

So, the only 2 official sellouts in the history of the Alerus are against "former" conference & regional rivals???? Hmmm... ;)

24 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Agree with everything except the 7:00 start time.  By the time the game ends, we would be pushing 10:30 and I think a lot more people would leave before the game ends than usual - college kids would leave to meet their friends and parents would leave with their kids.  I think 5:00 or 4:00 (like USD this year) would be better in that regard, while maintaining the benefits of a later start time.  USD had amazing attendance this year, and it was at 4:00.

I see your point.  Ok, how bout 6:00pm start time for the first game.  Probably makes better sense not to have a game end so late.  But I do like the "PrimeTime" game aspect.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Tailgate

Game

i can dig it

4 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Yep I know 1 pm start means I can make the game 4 pm means I hope I can get it on iHeartRadio. 

Potato Bowl evening game would be great. Ya 7:00 sounds great.

Try a mixture of 1:00 to 4:00 games for the rest.  Always a 1:00 for Saturdays with a home hockey game.

Somehow it's like the 1:00 games take up the whole day, easier to do things you have to do before the game! Rather than after!

In fall, working people have at home outside work that needs to get done on Saturdays; with 4:00, they get er it done, make tail gating, cheer at the game!

Hunters have all morning to shoot em up! Make tail gating, cheer at the game!

Students can sleep in a little, make tail gating, cheer at the game!  Guarantee you, you will have NOISE coming out of that student section!!!!!!!

Not so far away drive into town fans, don't have to be so rushed to get to the game, sure one can suggest get up earlier but kind uh don't work that way!

Senior citizens, we'll remind you what time the game starts!  Make tail gating, cheer at the game!

Players, coaches, trainers, and all, Ya, we lost the advantage over the Pacific rim schools with 11:00 AM game start according to their time, but we can hear the student fans, what an improvement. = False starts in critical situations!

Broadcasters and media, you will have more playoff games!

• Upvote 1

I don't think the start time will affect tailgating in any way.   You could have midnight games and the same folks will be out there hours before.  If you want to tailgate, you find a way to make it.  I bet most folks that currently come 30 to 90 minutes before a 1 pm start will still do that for a 2:30, 4:00 or 7 pm game.

Any people that can't make 1:00 pm games due to work or other conflicts will be offset by people working later in the day or having evening conflicts and being unable to make a 4 pm or 7 pm game.  For 15 years, I have about a 5 hour round trip for games and I preferred the early start.   I did miss an evening games over that time, not wanting to stay over or get home past midnight. 

I think the worst thing UND can do is have 3 different start times for the 5 or 6 home games in a season.  Like Bubba, I prefer Saturday afternoon football

8 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

I don't think the start time will affect tailgating in any way.   You could have midnight games and the same folks will be out there hours before.  If you want to tailgate, you find a way to make it.  I bet most folks that currently come 30 to 90 minutes before a 1 pm start will still do that for a 2:30, 4:00 or 7 pm game.

Any people that can't make 1:00 pm games due to work or other conflicts will be offset by people working later in the day or having evening conflicts and being unable to make a 4 pm or 7 pm game.  For 15 years, I have about a 5 hour round trip for games and I preferred the early start.   I did miss an evening games over that time, not wanting to stay over or get home past midnight. 

I think the worst thing UND can do is have 3 different start times for the 5 or 6 home games in a season.  Like Bubba, I prefer Saturday afternoon football

I respectfully disagree -

It would make a difference coming from Fargo, with kids, with friends that all have kids.  It's tough getting 30 people organized and up to GF for ample tailgating when 15 are little rugrats.  We start at 8:00 just to leave by 9:30, get set up by 11:00, barely have enough time to grill out and slam a couple beers.  I would love anything later than 1:00.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I respectfully disagree -

It would make a difference coming from Fargo, with kids, with friends that all have kids.  It's tough getting 30 people organized and up to GF for ample tailgating when 15 are little rugrats.  We start at 8:00 just to leave by 9:30, get set up by 11:00, barely have enough time to grill out and slam a couple beers.  I would love anything later than 1:00.

I absolutely hear what you're saying.  But, my point is that an equal amount of folks with young kids would say similar things about a 4 pm or 7 pm start.  There are probably just as many folks who don't want to get their kids home too late at night and may skip the late game.   I also wonder what a 4 or 7 pm start on a beautiful fall day would do for the UND student attendance.  

But, I'm probably in a different situation having attended my first UND football games in the early 60's.    4 pm is almost time for the early bird supper specials and 7 pm is almost bedtime. :lol: 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

I absolutely hear what you're saying.  But, my point is that an equal amount of folks with young kids would say similar things about a 4 pm or 7 pm start.  There are probably just as many folks who don't want to get their kids home too late at night and may skip the late game.   I also wonder what a 4 or 7 pm start on a beautiful fall day would do for the UND student attendance.  

But, I'm probably in a different situation having attended my first UND football games in the early 60's.    4 pm is almost time for the early bird supper specials and 7 pm is almost bedtime. :lol: 

Disagree with you on the bolded part.  Sure, there are obviously some kids activities scheduled for Saturday late afternoon or evenings in the fall, but there are way more kids activities scheduled for Saturday morning and early afternoon.  

4:00 would be ideal in my opinion.  Maybe toss in one 7:00 game per year.  But really, anything they could do to make it later than 1:00 would preferable in my opinion.  Even 2:00 or 3:00 would be better.

The combination of Muss, NDSU and the Big Sky is affecting attendance. I bet everyone in the region could've named everyone in the NCC, now ask how many they can name in the MVFC, and the Big Sky and it's probably a low number with the common answer of the Dakota 4, UNI, the Montanas and either UNC or EWU. It doesn't help not playing the other Dakota 3 yearly and fighting them for the conference title. Then you got NDSU, people climbed off of the UND bandwagon around 2004 or so and joined up with them when we stayed DII and they were beating FBS teams. Winning titles doesn't help our cause because the media loves them and we are just a box score. Then you have Muss...that just speaks for its self.  

Solution: dump the Big Sky for the MVFC, keep winning with Bubba ball, and hope somehow between the two NDSU will slip from their title run and people can climb off their bandwagon and back on ours.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I think the big sky unbalanced schedule probably doesn't help things either. I would guess casual fans down south probably don't get all that jazzed up for Western Illinois (quick, name their mascot), but rather the familiarity is really with SDSU, USD, and UNI. There isn't really a reason that can't be the case for us with Montana, MSU, and EWU, IMO. Add in the regional game as the OOC game, and that's probably as good as it gets.

2 hours ago, ericpnelson said:

I think the big sky unbalanced schedule probably doesn't help things either. I would guess casual fans down south probably don't get all that jazzed up for Western Illinois (quick, name their mascot), but rather the familiarity is really with SDSU, USD, and UNI. There isn't really a reason that can't be the case for us with Montana, MSU, and EWU, IMO. Add in the regional game as the OOC game, and that's probably as good as it gets.

Leathernecks! I win.

• Upvote 3