SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

The kid chose NDSU over UND and beat up on UND last season which stings, but that doesn't change the fact that he did outstanding in his first NFL start as a rookie. 

I hate NDSU football with a passion but I have nothing but respect for Wentz. Not to mention, him being from North Dakota is spectacular. 

• Upvote 3

Perhaps we should start a new thread (or maybe there is one already)........called North Dakota born athletes.....and we can discuss him in there, so we can just think of him as a ND boy, not an NDSU guy.  I like to try and think of him as a Bismarck kid, not an NDSU player even though that is very hard at times.....just makes it easier to deal with mentally for me since I can't stand NDSU and their bragging.    Sioux Rube can post his weekly stats, and give us weekly tid bits on Wentz like what he likes to eat before big Monday Night Football games etc.  :)    Then all of the NDSU posters can come to the UND board....since we know they love it over here...... and talk about Wentz....the Bismarck boy.

His first game was against Cleveland, but it was still a pretty impressive start for him....especially since he didn't see many snaps in the preseason.

I'm seeing plenty more compliments on here than I am negative comments, so this is only directed to the folks who are giving sort of back handed compliments about this weekend's performance by Wentz.

The Browns may be the worst NFL team, I don't know. They definitely aren't one of the better teams that's for sure. But you have to be honest with yourself if you aren't extremely impressed with his performance this weekend. Any objective viewer would be very impressed and the likely reason you aren't is because he played for NDSU and you cheer for UND.

Every pundit, every analyst, every person who is paid to talk about these sort of things expected him to look much, much, much worse in his opening game and is extremely impressed with his first game. FCS school, no snaps in preseason, broken ribs, philly is a tough place to win, brand new head coach, no supporting cast etc. The list of reasons goes on and on about why his first game should have been a struggle, but he didn't struggle, he looked like anything but a rookie in his first game surpassing even my expectations as an NDSU homer.

His performance wasn't perfect, plenty of room for an improvement and it was against the Browns. No doubt he'll see his fair share of challenges the rest of the season and will definitely look like a rookie at times no doubt, but nearly every NFL QB has a tough rookie season. So don't let your UND judgement of an NDSU guy cloud how impressive his opening performance was. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I'm seeing plenty more compliments on here than I am negative comments, so this is only directed to the folks who are giving sort of back handed compliments about this weekend's performance by Wentz.

The Browns may be the worst NFL team, I don't know. They definitely aren't one of the better teams that's for sure. But you have to be honest with yourself if you aren't extremely impressed with his performance this weekend. Any objective viewer would be very impressed and the likely reason you aren't is because he played for NDSU and you cheer for UND.

Every pundit, every analyst, every person who is paid to talk about these sort of things expected him to look much, much, much worse in his opening game and is extremely impressed with his first game. FCS school, no snaps in preseason, broken ribs, philly is a tough place to win, brand new head coach, no supporting cast etc. The list of reasons goes on and on about why his first game should have been a struggle, but he didn't struggle, he looked like anything but a rookie in his first game surpassing even my expectations as an NDSU homer.

His performance wasn't perfect, plenty of room for an improvement and it was against the Browns. No doubt he'll see his fair share of challenges the rest of the season and will definitely look like a rookie at times no doubt, but nearly every NFL QB has a tough rookie season. So don't let your UND judgement of an NDSU guy cloud how impressive his opening performance was. 

I'm just glad he didn't have to face one of the better defenses in the NFL right out of the gate. That should help his development to be able to get his feet wet without someone drowning him. I'd like to see him have a long storied NFL career and I think a big part of that is not getting the !@#$ beat out of you right away like what happened with Carr and the Texans. Poor guy never had a chance.

• Upvote 2

I think most of us are fine rooting for a ND kid to do well. As usually it always comes down to the visitors coming here and expecting that UND fans will heap praise on anything or anyone associated with SU. And I scratch my head that most of these uninvited posters still don't understand that most pokes are simply that - pokes because that is what rival fans do. There is no need to monitor and address every single comment made - it's a UND fan site. It's what we do. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I have a feeling if a UND hockey player scored a couple of goals against Toronto in their debut, people would be thrilled, as would I, so I don't know how some can lessen the accomplishment of being the guy that has to be the leader of the offense and having a pretty good game.  You add in the limitations he had going into the game and it is even more impressive.  These are after all professional football players on both sides of the ball.  Probably a more equivalent situation would be if we had a goalie making their debut playing a pro team at the end of the standings.  If he is in charge of the game, and does his job admirably, it is no less impressive because of who they play.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CMSioux said:

I think most of us are fine rooting for a ND kid to do well. As usually it always comes down to the visitors coming here and expecting that UND fans will heap praise on anything or anyone associated with SU. And I scratch my head that most of these uninvited posters still don't understand that most pokes are simply that - pokes because that is what rival fans do. There is no need to monitor and address every single comment made - it's a UND fan site. It's what we do. 

You must get bored with posting this after nearly every NDSU poster posts on this board. When are you going to just resign yourself to the fact that this is an open forum and as an open forum by definition you're inviting all opinions. In addition to that, I'm posting specifically in a thread that is about NDSU, my alma mater. You would think given you all consider yourselves to be relatively intelligent people that you would welcome comments from pertinent parties ie NDSU fans. As I've said countless times, if you don't want people to post here, then don't allow it. Until then, I'm going to assume that my opinion is welcomed here.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'm just glad he didn't have to face one of the better defenses in the NFL right out of the gate. That should help his development to be able to get his feet wet without someone drowning him. I'd like to see him have a long storied NFL career and I think a big part of that is not getting the !@#$ beat out of you right away like what happened with Carr and the Texans. Poor guy never had a chance.

I agree, playing QB in the NFL seems to be so much about confidence. For Wentz confidence, I'm really glad that first game was more of a confidence builder and that the run game for Philly seemed to be effective too.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I worry for Mr. Wentz because the Philly offensive line let Cleveland's defense get four nasty shots on him. Imagine what a better pass rush may bring. 

That is what scares me a bit too. 2 of those sacks were right to the healed up ribs. Thankfully they were just sore after the game 

53 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Now....what if that field goal would of went in.....and the field goal the game before it??  Cars would be on fire in Fargo with an 0-2 start!! 

• Upvote 1

On 9/14/2016 at 2:23 PM, Gothmog said:

Carson is on a hell of a roll. He gets drafted #2 overall. signs a $26m guaranteed contract, starts his first game as a rookie, plays very well in that game, his jersey sales are #1 in the NFL, and the President of the United States gives him a shoutout. Not a bad six months.

the nfl is all about matchups and making people feel "uncomfortable"...funny carson started opposite RG3...remember when he was the second coming of fran tarkenton?

RG3.jpeg

2 hours ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Lol I have never seen a qb get so much praise for beating probably the most dysfunctional sports franchise in America.  Let's see if he can continue to grow before we crown him.  

Who is crowning him?  Here we have a North Dakota native who was the second pick in the 2016 NFL draft, who got hurt his first pre season game, who was 3rd on the QB depth chart for the Eagles, who was named starter 8 days before their game with the Browns, and then proceeded to look like a seasoned veteran despite who they were playing. Now he could have a dud of a game Monday night but no one can take away his first ever start that quite frankly was nothing short of amazing. I hope the guy has a long illustrious career. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/13/2016 at 9:32 PM, gundy1124 said:

I said Sunday meant nothing!!??

I believe I said 1 game against that Browns team doesn't tell us much......

Let's put the Hall of Fame Ballots on hold and enjoy the ride Susie Sensitive.

I've got to think that the Cleveland Browns had the best defense that Carson Wentz has even seen in his career, at least up until this point.

If the people who are saying this game tells us very little about Wentz would've been asked before his first game what would be impressive in wentz's first start, I think his performance on Sunday would've exceeded your criteria for a successful first start. Since naysayers have a tendency to push back the goalpost after the fact, I'll pose this question.

What would be your criteria for Wentz's rookie campaign being defined as "impressive"? 

For reference, here is a link to the stats of the 5 best rookie season ever in the NFL.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/5-best-rookie-seasons-by-a-quarterback-in-nfl-history.html/?a=viewall

55 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

If the people who are saying this game tells us very little about Wentz would've been asked before his first game what would be impressive in wentz's first start, I think his performance on Sunday would've exceeded your criteria for a successful first start. Since naysayers have a tendency to push back the goalpost after the fact, I'll pose this question.

What would be your criteria for Wentz's rookie campaign being defined as "impressive"? 

For reference, here is a link to the stats of the 5 best rookie season ever in the NFL.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/5-best-rookie-seasons-by-a-quarterback-in-nfl-history.html/?a=viewall

It's one game, Sparky.   I don't know of anyone on here or elsewhere hoping he fails. He's a down to earth nice North Dakota kid.   Stating the week one competition wasn't very good is just a fact.  No need to get your shorts in a bunch or provide irrelevant links to full season stats.