SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

We can? Why exactly does the league need to expand?

I don't think the league needs to expand. The NCHC is fine the way it is. If anything, I think the NCHC needs to work on its own branding first. They don't need to jump at the first team that wants to join. They hold all of the cards. All I keep hearing what a great hockey trip. They don't have an arena and Allegiant flights to Mesa, AZ, are relatively cheap. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Goon said:

I don't think the league needs to expand. The NCHC is fine the way it is. If anything, I think the NCHC needs to work on its own branding first. They don't need to jump at the first team that wants to join. They hold all of the cards. All I keep hearing what a great hockey trip. They don't have an arena and Allegiant flights to Mesa, AZ, are relatively cheap. 

100% agree.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, GDPritch said:

You make a good point although Bem does play us tough those son of a guns.  But yes, would love to see non-conf action each season vs Minn State.

I wouldn't mind swapping out Bemidji for an occasional series vs. the purple cows.

15 hours ago, Goon said:

I could go along with what you were saying until this last point. You say they don't have an arena which seems to be a negative but then follow it up by saying flights are cheap... which seems contradictory because it is a positive.

Am I missing something?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I could go along with what you were saying until this last point. You say they don't have an arena which seems to be a negative but then follow it up by saying flights are cheap... which seems contradictory because it is a positive.

Am I missing something?

Some had said they want the NCHC to add ASU because it would be a great trip during the winter. In other words, the NCHC doesn't need to add ASU to have an excuse to travel to Tempe.

3 minutes ago, Goon said:

Some had said they want the NCHC to add ASU because it would be a great trip during the winter. In other words, the NCHC doesn't need to add ASU to have an excuse to travel to Tempe.

What will my excuse to travel to Tempe be?

People want the Sundevils to NCHC because it's a school well known school across the country. Hockey or not.

It's better to take a first time non UND hockey "fan" to a game vs Arizona State than against, "Who? Where are they located?" That seems to dominate the college hockey landscape.

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:54 PM, runaroundsioux said:

True story: Standing in line for the restroom at the Ralph during the UAH series. Guy in front of me asks: What city is the University of Alabama Huntsville in? Me:Huntsville. Him: Really? What state is it in? Me: Alabama. :ohmy:

You have got to be kidding?!  You sure he wasn't just pulling your leg?

9 hours ago, GDPritch said:

You have got to be kidding?!  You sure he wasn't just pulling your leg?

At the Frozen Four last year a UMD fan, college student age, came up to us and got all over us about how racist our Fighting Sioux gear was, the most racist thing he has ever seen.  As soon as we challenged him about racism and UMD fans doing their "Smallpox Blankets" and "We Stole Your Land" cheers,he quickly changed the subject and asked if the Red River was flowing north yet this year (2015).  I said it flows north during the odd months and south during the even months.  He accepted that and moved on.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Siouxman said:

At the Frozen Four last year a UMD fan, college student age, came up to us and got all over us about how racist our Fighting Sioux gear was, the most racist thing he has ever seen.  As soon as we challenged him about racism and UMD fans doing their "Smallpox Blankets" and "We Stole Your Land" cheers,he quickly changed the subject and asked if the Red River was flowing north yet this year (2015).  I said it flows north during the odd months and south during the even months.  He accepted that and moved on.

Duluth's claim to fame is it's racially charged lynching incident.  Bob Dylan dissed the town's commercialization of it in the song Desolation Row. Pot meet kettle.

Two decades from now they'll be clinging on to their one championship as the greatest moment of their lives.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Siouxman said:

I think if you had just posted, "At the Frozen Four last year a UMD fan, college student age, came up to us and ....," we would have gotten the picture.

52 minutes ago, dagies said:

That guy fell victim to one of the classic blunders.  The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well-known is this:  "Never go in against Siouxman when UND hockey is on the line!"

Why thank you.  I feel so overwhelmed by your confidence. 

8 hours ago, dagies said:

That guy fell victim to one of the classic blunders.  The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well-known is this:  "Never go in against Siouxman when UND hockey is on the line!"

Awesome.  If you can work the princess bride into any post, it's an all timer.  Hats off to you sir!!

I would love a winter trip to AZ & I usually need a reason other than it's just too Damn cold here - but as I grow into this retirement thing that will be enough of a reason - once I do it

• Upvote 1