SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

Anyone know definitively when the banner raising will be? I just always assumed it would be the night of the exhibition, but I have talked to a couple others that seem to think that UND would want to do it for a regular season game.

12 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Anyone know definitively when the banner raising will be? I just always assumed it would be the night of the exhibition, but I have talked to a couple others that seem to think that UND would want to do it for a regular season game.

I'm crossing my fingers for the regular season.  It's the Ryder Cup the weekend of the exhibition so I'm really hoping I don't have to miss the banner being raised.

6 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'm crossing my fingers for the regular season.  It's the Ryder Cup the weekend of the exhibition so I'm really hoping I don't have to miss the banner being raised.

Was there last fall but don't remember which game it was when the penarosa banner was raised? Manitoba or Bemidji? Or after that?

Edit: It was exhibition game vs Manitoba

15 hours ago, UND85 said:

NORTH DAKOTA

OCT.2

OCT.7-8 CANISIUS

OCT.14-15 HALL OF FAME

OCT. 21-22 BEMIDJI

OCT.28-29 @DULUTH

NOV.4-5 @MINNESOTA

NOV.11-12 DENVER

NOV.18-19 @SCSU

NOV.25-26 MICHIGAN STATE

DEC.2-3 BOSTON COLLEGE NYC

DEC.9-10 WESTERN MICHIGAN

DEC.16-17

DEC.31 @UNION

JAN.6-7 @UNO

JAN.13-14 MIAMI

JAN.20-21 UMD

JAN.27-28 @ CC

FEB.3-4 SCSU

FEB.10-11

FEB.17-18 @ W. MICHIGAN

FEB.24-25 UNO

MAR.3-4 @ MIAMI

MAR.10-11 NCHC PLAYOFFS

MARCH 17-18 NCHC FROZEN FACE OFF TARGET CENTER

MARCH 24-25 REGIONAL FARGO

APRIL 7-9 FROZEN FOUR CHICAGO

36 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm assuming the bolded games are home? But what about the @ sign for a few of them?

St Cloud and Marriucci will probably be considered HOME games being the FIGHTING SIOUX FANS will out number the home fans at both places!:lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Kinda hoping we replace Bemidji on the schedule soon.  Of all the WCHA rivalries, that's not one I would have felt the need to continue.  Once every couple of years sure, but not annually.  Much rather play Mankato or Tech (especially Tech), which would both also be better for pair wise.  I understand the proximity issue, but that series is not a traditional rivalry, and its not a competitive one.  If we want to help the Beaver program, I'd rather we partner to bring in eastern non-conference teams, like the Colorado schools do with Air Force.  That would also add more diversity to the schedule. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Kinda hoping we replace Bemidji on the schedule soon.  Of all the WCHA rivalries, that's not one I would have felt the need to continue.  Once every couple of years sure, but not annually.  Much rather play Mankato or Tech (especially Tech), which would both also be better for pair wise.  I understand the proximity issue, but that series is not a traditional rivalry, and its not a competitive one.  If we want to help the Beaver program, I'd rather we partner to bring in eastern non-conference teams, like the Colorado schools do with Air Force.  That would also add more diversity to the schedule. 

I don't think this is going to change anytime soon.

• Upvote 4

I love the "rivalry" with BSU. It's nice to have them year in and year out. I feel like it's a nod to history and a big brother type role. I just wish it was in the NCHC (WCHA ideally). Here's to hoping that we add old WCHA rivals back into the NCHC.  (MSUM BSU Mich Tech) I would love to have 10+ teams in the NCHC, 12 preferably.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I think I know a guy who'd take your tickets ;)

3 hours ago, tho0505 said:

I love the "rivalry" with BSU. It's nice to have them year in and year out. I feel like it's a nod to history and a big brother type role. I just wish it was in the NCHC (WCHA ideally). Here's to hoping that we add old WCHA rivals back into the NCHC.  (MSUM BSU Mich Tech) I would love to have 10+ teams in the NCHC, 12 preferably.  

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

While I get the nostalgia, the programs you listed were a big part of the reason that UND left the WCHA. Adding them to the NCHC would be defeating the whole reasoning for the conference being created.

Correct Dub, and by the way, UND was one of the instigators to move away from conference play with these teams.  In the west (excluding the Goofs and Wisco), the Colorado schools and UND had vintage motors on their boats and they trolled from ice pond to ice pond, searching for the BETTER hockey programs to form a new conference.  It didn't take long to get some bites.

Of course one must understand, this opportunity for a new conference developed when Penn State started Div1 hockey. That created a 6th team of the 14 teams in the B1G to have hockey.  Which in turn, by rule, mandated that these 6 teams must now have a hockey conference within the B1G.

So one could kind of say that;

Mn and Wis had to leave the WCHA.

UND and others created the NCHC to get away from conference play with these teams and tried to form a conference with more competitive teams. Maybe there is a politically correct way of saying this?

Some schools and many fans where not happy by these moves?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Correct Dub, and by the way, UND was one of the instigators to move away from conference play with these teams.  In the west (excluding the Goofs and Wisco), the Colorado schools and UND had the vintage motors on their boats and they trolled from ice pond to ice pond, searching for the BETTER hockey programs to form a new conference.  It didn't take long to get some bites.

Of course one must understand, this opportunity for a new conference developed when Penn State started Div1 hockey. That created a 6th team of the 14 teams in the B1G to have hockey.  Which in turn, by rule, mandated that these 6 teams must now have a hockey conference within the B1G.

So one could kind of say that;

Mn and Wis had to leave the WCHA.

UND and others created the NCHC to get away from conference play with these teams and tried to form a conference with more competitive teams.

Maybe there is a politically correct way of saying this? Some schools and many fans where not happy by these moves?

Because Western Michigan and CC are so much better for their pairwise ranking.... Every conference has weak links, but to say adding Minn State and Mich Tech would weaken the league is far from true. They will be solid for years to come with the coaches they have in place.  Would they be a top team in the NCHC? No, but they would be both solid additions to the league to fill it out more.  

Who else would be better to add to the NCHC honestly?  Adding Arizona State isn't any better and could potentially be embarrassing if the team doesn't get a rink and build a solid program.    The league needs to expand, we all can agree on that, who else is there to add?  Air Force makes sense and adding solid teams with a history of stability is key. 

6 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Because Western Michigan and CC are so much better for their pairwise ranking.... Every conference has weak links, but to say adding Minn State and Mich Tech would weaken the league is far from true. They will be solid for years to come with the coaches they have in place.  Would they be a top team in the NCHC? No, but they would be both solid additions to the league to fill it out more.  

Who else would be better to add to the NCHC honestly?  Adding Arizona State isn't any better and could potentially be embarrassing if the team doesn't get a rink and build a solid program.    The league needs to expand, we all can agree on that, who else is there to add?  Air Force makes sense and adding solid teams with a history of stability is key. 

Like I said, I don't know what the politically correct way of saying it is? But after the 2 B1G schools left the WCHA, a few other schools from the WCHA (including UND) took it upon themselves to leave, hence forming NCHC. Yes, they could of stayed in the WCHA, but choose not to play conference games with these teams. Maybe they made a mistake?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, southpaw said:

It's not about pairwise rankings that change on a yearly basis. It's about committing high amounts of funding to their programs. 

And being decent schools that UND wants to be associated with....

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah there are a few in there that have @ signs but are bolded. I was confused.

Sorry for confusion, I copied it off a document I made and bold type games are those I'm working at and attending. I just listed weekends of the game and know that the Boston College game is one game. Just wanted to share and sorry for confusion.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Its screwed up....the Gofer games are in Mariucci.

@ to me means it's AT that site. Sorry for the confusion. Just wanted to share what I found out and hadn't seen the exact dates of many of these games anywhere else. Hope that makes sense.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

You make a good point although Bem does play us tough those son of a guns.  But yes, would love to see non-conf action each season vs Minn State.