SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

8 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

So next year we play the gophers in the regular season again. I have to ask this question, does anyone else think the BigTen might have killed the rivalry? I mean of course the history and tradition always plays a huge part in the rivalry but part of the reason this was always a heated match up is that the Sioux and the Gophers were among the top ten programs in the country and they were in the same conference. Now the gophers are questionable for being even in the Top 20. They also are probably the worst team in the state of hockey itself, considering they have only had marginal success against other Minnesota teams in non conference match ups and they haven't won a game at the North Star Cup since the first year of the tournament. So when we play the Gophers next year is it going to look like the  intense games we remember, or is it going to look like a top 5 program play a program that can't break into the top 20?

Tradition is what has made this rivalry. The kids wearing the sweaters now still know that. They'll be up for it. It's only been two seasons since 0.6 and our captain was there for the game. Gophs will have a group that played in that game, too. Plus, all of our boys from the area.... The Poolmans, Pogo, Boeser, Gersich (particularly who this kid's family is).... they know this rivalry and what it means to the history and to the fans of UND and UM.

There were times in recent history when the Goofs were out of the playoffs and rankings and those games were plenty competitive. Think the Alex Kangas years. I'm sure it was the same vice versa back in the more leaner years of UND's past.

The MOOCH will be rocking.

9 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

So next year we play the gophers in the regular season again. I have to ask this question, does anyone else think the BigTen might have killed the rivalry? 

Yes.  We still hate the gophers but not seeing their data in the conference standings, not being as connected via message boards, means less relevance, less passion.   I absolutely think the emotion is not as high now as it was before, and will continue to diminish over time.  Even the games won't mean as much (conference standings not affected as much, etc.)  Doesn't mean there's not passion between the fan bases, but if there was a way to quantify it I'd be willing to say it's 80% what it was before.  Just my opinion, though.

27 minutes ago, dagies said:

Yes.  We still hate the gophers but not seeing their data in the conference standings, not being as connected via message boards, means less relevance, less passion.   I absolutely think the emotion is not as high now as it was before, and will continue to diminish over time.  Even the games won't mean as much (conference standings not affected as much, etc.)  Doesn't mean there's not passion between the fan bases, but if there was a way to quantify it I'd be willing to say it's 80% what it was before.  Just my opinion, though.

I disagree. I see posts on Facebook daily about Gopher/UND hate. Ever read the comments whenever NCAA Ice Hockey puts out their weekly poll Facebook post? It's always several UND and UM fans going at it.

I honestly think they mean more, if not, similarly equal. OOC games are huge, particularly for Minny who's battling the Big 10 RPI struggle, and it's a rivalry game.

Is the rivalry diminished? Hard to say. Maybe? But I sure know that I bring up the rivalry to all my Gopher-loving friends whenever I see them and they give it right back to me. All I do know is, that when these two teams play this season, it'll still be very intense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

12 years between UND NDSU football and things didn't cool down. Fargo vs Grand Forks and U vs State still mean a lot. MN vs ND means a lot in more than just hockey.  And we just won a title so interest should be huge.

Yes, this will be a huge game for both teams.  The rabid hype that will go on before this series will be the biggest buildup since they last played at the Frozen Four. You can bet that passion will carry over to the ice and I believe you will see a gopher team with more jump than we've seen in a while as well. You will see by this series that they still consider us their biggest rival, and vice versa. Throw in our National Championship, and they won't be lacking for incentive.

On 5/27/2016 at 3:18 AM, geaux_sioux said:

12 years between UND NDSU football and things didn't cool down. Fargo vs Grand Forks and U vs State still mean a lot. MN vs ND means a lot in more than just hockey.  And we just won a title so interest should be huge.

I'm going to disagree with that a little, I went to UND during the period when they didn't play each other in any sports, I got none the rivalry feeling toward NDSU when I went there, I think the only way you could get is to grow up in North Dakota in an area or family where it was a big deal. To me NDSU was the school to the south that had the three campus system, a big ag program, and no hockey.

Now by the same token I am from the Twin Cities, I grew up going to gopher games every year up until the ninth grade, two minutes on campus as a UND student and I was converted into a gopher hating, bleed green, Sioux fan.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I'm going to disagree with that a little, I went to UND during the period when they didn't play each other in any sports, I got none the rivalry feeling toward NDSU when I went there, I think the only way you could get is to grow up in North Dakota in an area or family where it was a big deal. To me NDSU was the school to the south that had the three campus system, a big ag program, and no hockey.

Now by the same token I am from the Twin Cities, I grew up going to gopher games every year up until the ninth grade, two minutes on campus as a UND student and I was converted into a gopher hating, bleed green, Sioux fan.

That's admirable but a little complicated.  Have you had to deal with any self-loathing?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, burd said:

That's admirable but a little complicated.  Have you had to deal with any self-loathing?

Not really, I went to UND, its my undergraduate University, I lived there for four years. Really it would be weirder if I was gopher fan while I went there.

3 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

So you didn't go to the football game... Got it.

• Upvote 1

Me and the Mr. went to UND on and off from '73-'82. Rivalries with both MN in hockey and cow college in football & M/W bouncy ball were very intense. Remember when Mad Dog Eddie Schultz went nuts while calling a FB game for the Bison at GF because he got hit with a beer bottle? We were at that game. Have lived in MN since graduation and still hate both. Always will. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/25/2016 at 8:15 AM, siouxczech29 said:

I'll have a go too, SCPA...

Left Wing   Center   Right Wing
Tyson Jost   Schmaltz (A)   Boeser (A)
Gersich   Gardner   Poganski (A)
Janatuinen   Simonson   Wilkie
Ludvig Hoff   Olson   Gornall
Dixon Bowen   Cole Smith   Zach Yon

Left Defense   Right Defense  
  Ausmus (Cptn)   Wolanin  
  Colten Poolman   Poolman (A)  
  Shaw   Dixon Bowen  
  Chartrand   Christian Evers  

Goaltender    
    Johnson    
    Tomek    
    Hrynkiw    
    Anderson    

That top 9 looks about right.  Defense pairings will be a big ?  I don't know which dmen think the game alike in the d zone and can complement each other

3 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I went to Football games, but they weren't playing NDSU.

That's what I'm talking about. There were plenty of NDSU fans saying it wouldn't be very intense since all the students would be in your shoes with no experience of the rivalry. I was at the game and can attest that it was very much a rivalry game and as intense as the other UND NDSU games I've been to. I doubt the series against the Gophers will be much different.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

That's what I'm talking about. There were plenty of NDSU fans saying it wouldn't be very intense since all the students would be in your shoes with no experience of the rivalry. I was at the game and can attest that it was very much a rivalry game and as intense as the other UND NDSU games I've been to. I doubt the series against the Gophers will be much different.

Even if there are those that aren't as familiar with the rivalry, the extra juice from those of us waiting for the resumption will more than make up for it and create an intense atmosphere.  If that were true, you probably would see a 3/4 full Mariucci instead of half full, but I guarantee you many people wanting to get in won't be able to.  That will be a testament to the strength of the rivalry.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

This. Exactly.

10 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Can relate to this 100%. I'm a third gen UND student from the Twin Cities that also paid attention to the Goophs during the Woog days. Family influence is the reason that Sioux pride runs so deep and I'm damn proud of that.