SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

8 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I have heard from a very good source that Nick Schmatlz is indeed coming back next year. Apparently him and Gage will be roommates.  It won't be official for a while because he doesn't want to go public Yet. 

Direct confirmation most likely to come next month as training will be picking up with the squad. Awesome news though without a doubt.

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

I have heard from a very good source that Nick Schmatlz is indeed coming back next year. Apparently he and Gage will be roommates.  It won't be official for a while because he doesn't want to go public yet. 

Glad you and your source made it public, yet him not wanting anything said yet... Until he announces officially, this could easily change. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

I have heard from a very good source that Nick Schmatlz is indeed coming back next year. Apparently he and Gage will be roommates.  It won't be official for a while because he doesn't want to go public yet. 

Not trying to be a smartass but I was told a little while ago that him and Boeser were going to be renting a house this next season. Maybe it's him Gage and Boeser.

4 hours ago, crb1 said:

I guess you can eliminate anyone who calls him or herself a friend of Nick's if he made public what Nick did not want made public.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

Not trying to be a smartass but I was told a little while ago that him and Boeser were going to be renting a house this next season. Maybe it's him Gage and Boeser.

Certainly possible. Time will tell and he could certainly change his mind. 

My source has been pretty right on except for Keaton. 

First stab:

Janatuinen-Schmaltz- Boeser

Rhett -Jost-Pogo

Gersich – Simo – Wilkie

Yon - Hoff- T. Olson (not sure who plays C)

T Poolman – Wolanin

Gage – Shaw

C Poolman-Johnson (top 4 will play a ton)

(PP1) Jost-Schmaltz- Boeser

T Poolman (QB) – Wolanin

(PP2) Gersich/Wilkie-Gardner-Pogo

Gage – Shaw (QB)

Nchc.tv made $250,000.

NCHC conference made $1.2 million last year.

CBS Sports picked up the "fourth year option" on the contract which probably means the ratings were pretty good.

All good things for the strength of the conference.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Nchc.tv made $250,000.

NCHC conference made $1.2 million last year.

CBS Sports picked up the "fourth year option" on the contract which probably means the ratings were pretty good.

All good things for the strength of the conference.

Good for the conference finances, but personally I was not too happy that CBS will be back (with their extremely limited schedule).

• Upvote 1

I'll have a go too, SCPA...

Left Wing   Center   Right Wing
Tyson Jost   Schmaltz (A)   Boeser (A)
Gersich   Gardner   Poganski (A)
Janatuinen   Simonson   Wilkie
Ludvig Hoff   Olson   Gornall
Dixon Bowen   Cole Smith   Zach Yon

Left Defense   Right Defense  
  Ausmus (Cptn)   Wolanin  
  Colten Poolman   Poolman (A)  
  Shaw   Dixon Bowen  
  Chartrand   Christian Evers  

Goaltender    
    Johnson    
    Tomek    
    Hrynkiw    
    Anderson    

9 minutes ago, siouxczech29 said:

I agree, keep Jost/Schmaltz/Boeser together and this team shouldn't miss a beat offensively.  Defensively still has some question marks, but we have some solid players coming in in relief and with the bookends of TPoolman and Ausmus they'll adjust quickly.   When that class of Ladue, Thompson, Stecher, Ausmus came in, I knew we had something special on defense. All came together in 2016!  

This class incoming feels like a depth building class to me, with the majority of players that will play 3-4 years. Let's hope for 2 years with Jost.     

30 minutes ago, siouxczech29 said:

Ausmus (Cptn)   Wolanin  
  Shaw   Dixon Bowen  

Goaltender    
    Johnson    
    Tomek    
    Hrynkiw    
    Anderson    

I saw Tomek is the starter by the end of the year or at least switch between Tomek and Johnson. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, OETKB said:

Good for the conference finances, but personally I was not too happy that CBS will be back (with their extremely limited schedule).

Fortunately, CBS will be streaming games as that was a big point pushed by the conference this year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, siouxczech29 said:

Ausmus (Cptn)   Wolanin  
  Shaw   Dixon Bowen  

Goaltender    
    Johnson    
    Tomek    
    Hrynkiw    
    Anderson    

I'm guessing they may very well go with a loaded top line.  But Jost is 100% a center and may go in the top 8 in this year's draft.  Similar to Toews, you don't have high first round center play wing unless they struggle at the position first.  Also, Schmaltz has to play center now too, he's continually getting better at the position and he'll have one year left before the NHL.  He needs to fine tune is faceoff skills before he jumps.

2 minutes ago, NeedHockey said:

It will be interesting to see which sophomores really make a jump from their freshmen year.  I think the forwards Gersich, Janatuinen, Wilkie, and Gardner all have the potential to dazzle us next year.  It's going to be another fun year!

Agree 100%.  Another interesting one (not a soph however) is Pogo.  There were time last year he really stuck out.  Something many people forget is that these guys are young and (most) will continue to develop and get better year over year.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

First stab:

Janatuinen-Schmaltz- Boeser

Rhett -Jost-Pogo

Gersich – Simo – Wilkie

Yon - Hoff- T. Olson (not sure who plays C)

T Poolman – Wolanin

Gage – Shaw

C Poolman-Johnson (top 4 will play a ton)

(PP1) Jost-Schmaltz- Boeser

T Poolman (QB) – Wolanin

(PP2) Gersich/Wilkie-Gardner-Pogo

Gage – Shaw (QB)

JJ? I'm sorry, but absolutely not. It will be one of three, IMO .... Jost, Gersich and Wilkie. I don't see Bubbs passing on a Jost, Schmaltz, Boeser line. We have plenty of centers.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

JJ? I'm sorry, but absolutely not. It will be one of three, IMO .... Jost, Gersich and Wilkie. I don't see Bubbs passing on a Jost, Schmaltz, Boeser line. We have plenty of centers.

Haha, just a guess bud.  I actually had Gersich or Wilkie plugged in there first.  But JJ was the smartest of the three and worked super hard.  JJ could pass.  We'll see.  With Schmaltz and Boeser (obviously) together, whoever is playing with them should succeed as long as they can work hard and keep up.

If Jost goes top ten he's playing center. :)

3 hours ago, siouxczech29 said:

Ausmus (Cptn)   Wolanin  
  Shaw   Dixon Bowen  

Goaltender    
    Johnson    
    Tomek    
    Hrynkiw    
    Anderson    

I think this is close. I'd like to maybe try JJ with Gardner and Pogo. He's got that "Heavy Line" feel, IMO. I don't think they can pass on loading that top line.

I'll go:

Jost, Schmaltz (A), Boeser (A)
JJ, Gardner, Pogo
Gersich, Simo (A), Wilkie
Hoff, Olson, Gornall

20 Gage (C), Wolanin
T. Poolman (A), Shaw
C. Poolman, Evers/Chartand/Bowen

Johnson
Tomek
Rinks
Anderson

Two thoughts... that third paring of mine makes me nervous. I think I agree with you in that they will pair the Poolies and have a more "veteran" guy like Shaw with a freshman. I don't want a freshman D pairing.

The other.... Tomek is going to get his shot.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha, just a guess bud.  I actually had Gersich or Wilkie plugged in there first.  But JJ was the smartest of the three and worked super hard.  JJ could pass.  We'll see.  With Schmaltz and Boeser (obviously) together, whoever is playing with them should succeed as long as they can work hard and keep up.

If Jost goes top ten he's playing center. :)

I realized after that my post came off like a d-bag, sorry haha. Wasn't intended.

I'd guess at this point that any team who drafts Jost trusts us to develop him. Putting him together with 2 first round picks will do nothing to hurt his status and will only enhance it. If that means playing less center, which it would on a line with Schmaltz, so be it.