SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

16 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

From what I've heard part of the problem is his adjustment to Bloomington's system hasn't been very smooth at all. Bloomington plays very defensive and conservative and doesn't allow a whole lot of offensive freedom to the players. I still would expect him to produce more than he has in his time there this year but I like his potential.

again im not trying to bash the kid and I know he has tons of potential. His NHL draft stock has been kind of plummeting however that's fine as it probably means he'll stay at und longer. The point I was trying to make is that he is a kid who definitely needs to play another year in the ushl. He doesn't appear to be ready for the college game yet. Others on that Bloomington team seem to be putting up numbers just fine.

At forward I'm thinking Jost, Hoff, Yon, Smith, and Bowen. That's five to replace the departing five. (I'm hoping Schmaltz stays.)

At defense, Poolman and Johnson. I'd love to say Bast, but I'm not sure because he missed most of last season. 

But, if those are the incomings that would bring in all the 95 and 96 DOBs in the pipeline plus Jost. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

At forward I'm thinking Jost, Hoff, Yon, Smith, and Bowen. That's five to replace the departing five. (I'm hoping Schmaltz stays.)

At defense, Poolman and Johnson. I'd love to say Bast, but I'm not sure because he missed most of last season. 

But, if those are the incomings that would bring in all the 95 and 96 DOBs in the pipeline plus Jost. 

If Bast doesn't come, then we need a third defenseman.  Do they go with Bowen, as Schloss was hinting last week, or do they go with one of the '97's?

And if they go with Bowen at D, then they need another forward, and they only have one 97 forward (Keane).  If Schmaltz goes, they'll need two more out of that 97 age group.

I'm wondering the same things about the defense situation.

Say we have the "pass the Maalox!" situation: Bring in Bowen as a defenseman; and need two forwards. The 97s are Cakebreak and Keane. Cakebread is an enigma; Keane was less than awe-inspiring in his USHL time. 

To me the best case is keep Schmaltz, bring Bowen as a forward, and trust that Bast is ready. 

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

F - Jost, Hoff, Yon, Smith

D - Poolman, Evers, Johnson

How many spots do we need to fill again?

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

F - Jost, Hoff, Yon, Smith

D - Poolman, Evers, Johnson

How many spots do we need to fill again?

Another forward beyond what you list (and that assumes keeping Schmaltz). 

2 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

Five forwards.  Bowen will do that if Evers comes in.

What about Collin Adams?  Is he too young?  He would seem like a better option at this point than Bowen (if he's graduated HS).

9 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

What about Collin Adams?  Is he too young?  He would seem like a better option at this point than Bowen (if he's graduated HS).

Adams turned 18 a week ago.  I'm sure all things being equal the staff hopes he can play another year in the USHL.

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

again im not trying to bash the kid and I know he has tons of potential. His NHL draft stock has been kind of plummeting however that's fine as it probably means he'll stay at und longer. The point I was trying to make is that he is a kid who definitely needs to play another year in the ushl. He doesn't appear to be ready for the college game yet. Others on that Bloomington team seem to be putting up numbers just fine.

I'm not trying to say he should come in next season either just explaining the situation for Mattson in Bloomington based on what people who have seen him during his time there have said. I've never really thought he would come in straight from high school so I expect him to be in the USHL next year and maybe a change of scenery there would be best for him as well.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SJHovey said:

Adams turned 18 a week ago.  I'm sure all things being equal the staff hopes he can play another year in the USHL.

I'm sure that would be their hope, but Adams seems to have adjusted better in the USHL than Keane and actually been an impact player.  Whoever comes in, I want them to be able to add something in the chase to tie Michigan for championships, not just a body to fill a roster spot.  Not saying that would be the case, one way or the other, as I believe Keane was injured a good part of the time, but maybe that added USHL experience of Adams is a bonus.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Didn't know where else to put it, please forgive me and I'll take my 23 lashes.

SIOUXELEVENS posted at the same time as you but I don't think he was referring to you.  I think he was referring to stoney posting about his blog constantly in two different threads that don't have anything to do with what he's blogging about.

30 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Boeser with a pretty cool gesture in taking this girl to prom. Especially, going out of his way to find the mom after the girl's twitter was deleted.

I love the quote from her son after asking him who Boeser is:

'Are you serious? He's one of the best hockey players in the country. That's amazing'.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4025571-und-hockey-brock-boeser-take-grand-forks-student-down-syndrome-prom

. . . and it'll probably score some points with next year's Hobey Baker committee too!  Sure am glad that Hakstol made that quick trip down to Waterloo for a cup of coffee with Boeser.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

SIOUXELEVENS posted at the same time as you but I don't think he was referring to you.  I think he was referring to stoney posting about his blog constantly in two different threads that don't have anything to do with what he's blogging about.

Gotcha

1 minute ago, Benny Baker said:

. . . and it'll probably score some points with next year's Hobey Baker committee too!  Sure am glad that Hakstol made that quick trip down to Waterloo for a cup of coffee with Boeser.

No kidding, thought that was crazy he went that far but it was worth it! You think he drove or flew?

5 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Gotcha

No kidding, thought that was crazy he went that far but it was worth it! You think he drove or flew?

I don't know, but that's some pure commitment and dedication one way or the other!  I heard he did a similar thing and flew to Europe last summer just to have a meal with Voracek and then flew back.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

What that article essentially says though is that this year will be his last. No chance of sneaking him for a junior season. Sucks for us, but he'll likely be ready for the show after next season.

7 minutes ago, snova4 said:

What that article essentially says though is that this year will be his last. No chance of sneaking him for a junior season. Sucks for us, but he'll likely be ready for the show after next season.

I honestly am just happy to be getting 2 years out of him after winning a national championship and scoring 60 points in his freshman season.  He could be ready for the show next season.

I'm looking forward to the "NHL player playing in the NCAA" comments from Motzko and coaches around the country next year.

• Upvote 4