SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

22 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha, just a guess bud.  I actually had Gersich or Wilkie plugged in there first.  But JJ was the smartest of the three and worked super hard.  JJ could pass.  We'll see.  With Schmaltz and Boeser (obviously) together, whoever is playing with them should succeed as long as they can work hard and keep up.

If Jost goes top ten he's playing center. :)

I could see JJ plugged into the Gardner, Poganski line since he is so responsible on the defensive end.  Don't know if they will be looking for them to be the exclusive shutdown line, because they certainly have the potential to put up numbers on their own.  

1 minute ago, tnt said:

I could see JJ plugged into the Garner, Poganski line since he is so responsible on the defensive end.  Don't know if they will be looking for them to be the exclusive shutdown line, because they certainly have the potential to put up numbers on their own.  

I 100% agree. JJ showed a bit of scoring touch, too. Not quite up to LJ's sniping ability, but a bit of a knack for it.

He's very good defensively.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Agree 100%.  Another interesting one (not a soph however) is Pogo.  There were time last year he really stuck out.  Something many people forget is that these guys are young and (most) will continue to develop and get better year over year.

Yes, I also expect Poganski to be a team star.  I have been thinking about what a Boeser, Schmaltz, and yes, Poganski line might be like.  Puck possession!

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think this is close. I'd like to maybe try JJ with Gardner and Pogo. He's got that "Heavy Line" feel, IMO. I don't think they can pass on loading that top line.

I'll go:

Jost, Schmaltz (A), Boeser (A)
JJ, Gardner, Pogo
Gersich, Simo (A), Wilkie
Hoff, Olson, Gornall

20 Gage (C), Wolanin
T. Poolman (A), Shaw
C. Poolman, Evers/Chartand/Bowen

Johnson
Tomek
Rinks
Anderson

Two thoughts... that third paring of mine makes me nervous. I think I agree with you in that they will pair the Poolies and have a more "veteran" guy like Shaw with a freshman. I don't want a freshman D pairing.

The other.... Tomek is going to get his shot.

I'm a huge fan of these lines. One person I really want to see have a good training camp and remainder of the offseason is Danys. Kid really needs to break the line-up and I feel that he will develop enough.

The one thing I can't get past, though, is seeing an "A" next to Boeser's name. He's talented, respected, and all around a stand-out guy but we really shouldn't be holding the expectation of pinning assistant captainship on the young gun already. Don't care if he's probably only got one more year left; it just isn't logical.

1 hour ago, NeedHockey said:

Yes, I also expect Poganski to be a team star.  I have been thinking about what a Boeser, Schmaltz, and yes, Poganski line might be like.  Puck possession!

Pony Express 2.0?  Boeser a rich man's Frattin, Schmaltz a rich man's Trupp, and Pogs another Malone?  

(meaning no offense to Frattin and Trupper)

17 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

I'm a huge fan of these lines. One person I really want to see have a good training camp and remainder of the offseason is Danys. Kid really needs to break the line-up and I feel that he will develop enough.

The one thing I can't get past, though, is seeing an "A" next to Boeser's name. He's talented, respected, and all around a stand-out guy but we really shouldn't be holding the expectation of pinning assistant captainship on the young gun already. Don't care if he's probably only got one more year left; it just isn't logical.

I've heard/read a lot about Chartrand being pretty darn good. We'll see.

I pegged Boeser as an A not because of him being the best player, but he's one of the hardest workers. I see a lot of Toews in his work ethic. He was lauded a lot during the season for being a leader. The only other one close to him in terms of leadership, IMO, is Pogo and I think Boeser and Pogo deserve it equally.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I pegged Boeser as an A not because of him being the best player, but he's one of the hardest workers. I see a lot of Toews in his work ethic. He was lauded a lot during the season for being a leader. The only other one close to him in terms of leadership, IMO, is Pogo and I think Boeser and Pogo deserve it equally.

No doubt with his work ethic. Nobody can question that whatsoever. He has what it takes to be a leader, but at that point we shouldn't be tossing out patches for the sake of tossing out patches. Quality over quantity when it comes to a captain corps.

8 minutes ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

No doubt with his work ethic. Nobody can question that whatsoever. He has what it takes to be a leader, but at that point we shouldn't be tossing out patches for the sake of tossing out patches. Quality over quantity when it comes to a captain corps.

So, what is he missing? I'm not tossing out a letter for the sake of it. I think he's one of the best leaders and probably our best player. That = A to me.

I wonder if Boeser has ever, or has ever considered playing on the left side.  I just think with his shooting ability, it would open up a little bit more space for him (not that he needs it).  A fairly high percentage of scoring wingers in the NHL play on their "off wing", Alex Ovechkin, Patrick Kane, Artemi Panarin, Marian Hossa, Jagr, and Vlad Tarasenko immediately come to mind.  About 75% of the top scoring winger's in the NHL this year, played on their off wing.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ChadR said:

LOL. One of your numerous preposterous statements that you have uttered on here.

I say plenty of crazy things. Don't underestimate me lol.

I'm just saying what I've heard. He is on our roster. He can't be a bad player, in all honesty. Will he ever been good enough for consistent playing time? We'll see. I'm sure he'll get his shot.

13 hours ago, Cratter said:

Nchc.tv made $250,000.

NCHC conference made $1.2 million last year.

CBS Sports picked up the "fourth year option" on the contract which probably means the ratings were pretty good.

All good things for the strength of the conference.

Not to get a big head but I'm guessing 75% of these good stats are due to UND being in the conference.  I gotta believe that.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Not to get a big head but I'm guessing 75% of these good stats are due to UND being in the conference.  I gotta believe that.

Based on the number of green jerseys in the stands, I bet you right.

8 hours ago, GDPritch said:

For example $1.2 million in revenue from the NCHC tournament.  That amount includes the best of 3 home series the prior weekend.  Relatively conservatively, 9,000 seats at $20 each brought in $180,000, times 2 games is $360,000 from the series in the Ralph alone.  7,000 Target Center tickets at $60 each is another $420,000 from UND fans. 

12 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

After the excess of assistant captains this last year on a championship team we should probably expect it to continue.

That was my thinking when I pegged him as an "A".  Plus, his off-ice / community involvement (prom) was an indication that he could be a good leader

1 hour ago, siouxczech29 said:

That was my thinking when I pegged him as an "A".  Plus, his off-ice / community involvement (prom) was an indication that he could be a good leader

YES!

I know this isn't a team thing, but it helps for his development and his potential run at a Hobey.... which in turn, are all good things for the program.

So next year we play the gophers in the regular season again. I have to ask this question, does anyone else think the BigTen might have killed the rivalry? I mean of course the history and tradition always plays a huge part in the rivalry but part of the reason this was always a heated match up is that the Sioux and the Gophers were among the top ten programs in the country and they were in the same conference. Now the gophers are questionable for being even in the Top 20. They also are probably the worst team in the state of hockey itself, considering they have only had marginal success against other Minnesota teams in non conference match ups and they haven't won a game at the North Star Cup since the first year of the tournament. So when we play the Gophers next year is it going to look like the  intense games we remember, or is it going to look like a top 5 program play a program that can't break into the top 20?