SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

How's UND going to add these 14 players by this Oct?  Plus 22-yr olds Chartrand and Gornall? http://www.collegecommitments.com/DepthChart.aspx?i7cq9=-1427512342. I'm sure the coaching staff is out now evaluating Hoff, Yon, Evers, Johnson & Peski in the USHL playoffs. Coop

Poolman, Colton LD 1995 Jost, Tyson C 1998
    Peski, Andrew RD 1997 Smith, Cole F 1995
    Johnson, Casey LD 1996 Hoff, Ludvig C 1996
    Kiersted, Matthew LD 1998

Bowen, Dixon C/RW 1996

Yon, Zach LW 1995

Evers, Christian LD 1997

Bast, Gabe RD 1996

Mattson, Mitchell C 1998
      Cakebread, Christian C 1997
      Jones, Nick F 1996

21 minutes ago, charliefunny said:

How's UND going to add these 14 players by this Oct?  Plus 22-yr olds Chartrand and Gornall? http://www.collegecommitments.com/DepthChart.aspx?i7cq9=-1427512342. I'm sure the coaching staff is out now evaluating Hoff, Yon, Evers, Johnson & Peski in the USHL playoffs. Coop

Poolman, Colton LD 1995 Jost, Tyson C 1998
    Peski, Andrew RD 1997 Smith, Cole F 1995
    Johnson, Casey LD 1996 Hoff, Ludvig C 1996
    Kiersted, Matthew LD 1998

Bowen, Dixon C/RW 1996

Yon, Zach LW 1995

Evers, Christian LD 1997

Bast, Gabe RD 1996

Mattson, Mitchell C 1998
      Cakebread, Christian C 1997
      Jones, Nick F 1996

They aren't going to add all of those players this year. Depending on the number of current players that eventually decide to leave, about half of your list will end up at UND this coming Fall.

I guess chuckles (can I call him that, charliefunny is kinda long) hasn't heard of a "recruiting pipeline". That list is everyone in the pipeline and many, when they said they're going to UND, have already said it's for 2018, 2019, or beyond.

Based on what we know now, at minimum expect four forwards and two defense.

Nick Jones isn't coming next year. And even if he did, he would not be able to play because he is a transfer. 

I believe that it is expected for Mattson to play a year in the USHL. 

I think the 97 and 98 birth year defensemen are expected to play one or two more years in juniors. 

It is likely that Cakebread never ends up at UND. He has not progressed much since committing. 

So that leaves 5 forwards coming in next year and we have 4 graduating seniors and 2 more possible early departures. And we have at least 2 defensemen leaving and maybe 3. We have 3 95/96's and we may want to have 8 rostered defensemen next year. 

The question is a rhetorical one for all us SIOUX fans. It will be interesting to see what the coaches reveal to us this October based on the roster spots open for competition after this coming off-season early departures.  Time will tell. 

Yes I know all about the recruiting pipeline and that's why I included the link to show you those pipes.  So hopefully the rest of the fans will take a minute and click on the link learn more. I'll post it again since you didn't click it. It works: 

http://www.collegecommitments.com/DepthChart.aspx?i7cq9=-1427512342 We have 14 recruits in the 2016-17 "pipe", 5 in the 2017-18 pipe, 3 in 2018-19 & 1 in 2020-21. That's 23 in the pipeline, not the 14 you assumed.  The coaches can delay a recruit or 2, but if the recruits are older, they may not wait. It's happened before and will happen again but maybe next season with more than 1 or 2 recruits.

PS There are the same 12 spaces in "charliefunny" as in "The Sicatoka?"  I guess we can call you "Count"? LOL. GO SIOUUUX, Coooop 

PPS: Nick Jones can start in Jan 2017, the second half of 2016-17 season. 

1 minute ago, charliefunny said:

Yes I know about the recruiting pipeline. That's' why I included the link, so you'd click on it and see that  only for the 2016-17 "pipe". 

Link doesn't work for me. But if it says that all of those players are expected to come in next year, then it is wrong. Nick Jones for example couldn't come in next year and play even if he had wanted to because he played a few games for Ohio State this past season. 

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

One of the biggest factors could be the numbers 2-23-96.  That's Nick's birthday, meaning he doesn't turn 21 until next February.  

How would you like to be staying at a hotel on a road trip through Ohio and unable to drink with your teammates.

Yet another reason for Nick to stay! :)

46 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Nick Jones isn't coming next year. And even if he did, he would not be able to play because he is a transfer. 

I believe that it is expected for Mattson to play a year in the USHL. 

I think the 97 and 98 birth year defensemen are expected to play one or two more years in juniors. 

It is likely that Cakebread never ends up at UND. He has not progressed much since committing. 

So that leaves 5 forwards coming in next year and we have 4 graduating seniors and 2 more possible early departures. And we have at least 2 defensemen leaving and maybe 3. We have 3 95/96's and we may want to have 8 rostered defensemen next year. 

Thanks UND Red Sox fan, for your logical reply to the websites list (not mine). It will be verrry interesting to see the October roster. Coach Berry carried 7 D & not 8 like Coach Hakstol did some years (probably as backups for injuries).   The younger ones can wait a year but once anyone's drafted their next clock starts ticking: NHL signing. 

GO SIOUX!  Coop "Signing" Out. Hey! Now that IS funny! LOL. 

1 hour ago, charliefunny said:

Thanks UND Red Sox fan, for your logical reply to the websites list (not mine). It will be verrry interesting to see the October roster. Coach Berry carried 7 D & not 8 like Coach Hakstol did some years (probably as backups for injuries).   The younger ones can wait a year but once anyone's drafted their next clock starts ticking: NHL signing. 

GO SIOUX!  Coop "Signing" Out. Hey! Now that IS funny! LOL. 

We had 8 dmen this year...guessing you didn't count Chartrand.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Rick, buddy, we've talked about this: You may have a face for radio, but you have a voice for print. ;):D

You must have me confused with someone else.  I often get asked for autographs because people think I'm Josh Duhamel.  Then, as soon as I say I'm not Duhamel, they tell me my voice is exactly like Tom Barnard's.  :-)

5 hours ago, iluvdebbies said:

We had 8 dmen this year...guessing you didn't count Chartrand.

I forgot about Chartrand as well. I'm guessing the coaching staff was pretty sure Ladue was leaving after this year. If he comes back, one of the older D-man recruits may have to go elsewhere. Not sure if Johnson or Bast can play another year in the USHL.

6 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I forgot about Chartrand as well. I'm guessing the coaching staff was pretty sure Ladue was leaving after this year. If he comes back, one of the older D-man recruits may have to go elsewhere. Not sure if Johnson or Bast can play another year in the USHL.

They both can still play another year of juniors. 

I know Schloss tweeted that the Minnesota-UND series is scheduled for November 4-5th, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that change to Friday and Sunday, so the 4th and 6th. Really crappy, but Minnesota has a home football game against Purdue scheduled for the 5th, and unless it's an 11am kickoff the Saturday hockey game will be moved to Sunday. Kind of a buzzkill, but if you've ever been there for a football game alone parking is a crap shoot. Trying to add a hockey game into the equation after that would be a complete disaster. 

It's not set in stone yet, but don't be surprised if it happens. Luckily the game is against Purdue, so it means there's a very good chance of an 11am kickoff. With an 11am kickoff they may keep the hockey game on Saturday. They should have the official day the hockey game will be played on with the official schedule release.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, GFG said:

I know Schloss tweeted that the Minnesota-UND series is scheduled for November 4-5th, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that change to Friday and Sunday, so the 4th and 6th. Really crappy, but Minnesota has a home football game against Purdue scheduled for the 5th, and unless it's an 11am kickoff the Saturday hockey game will be moved to Sunday. Kind of a buzzkill, but if you've ever been there for a football game alone parking is a crap shoot. Trying to add a hockey game into the equation after that would be a complete disaster. 

It's not set in stone yet, but don't be surprised if it happens. Luckily the game is against Purdue, so it means there's a very good chance of an 11am kickoff. With an 11am kickoff they may keep the hockey game on Saturday. They should have the official day the hockey game will be played on with the official schedule release.

And the Vikings are also home on the 6th.  And they wonder why their attendance is down in Minneapolis.  What a joke that program is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 5:18 PM, GFG said:

Goofs and Purdue....what a pillow fight haha.

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

Jost - Schmaltz - Boeser

Pogo - Rhett G. - Olson

Gersich - Simo - Wilkie

Hoff - JJ - Yon

Wolanin - T. Poolman

Ausmus - Shaw

C. Poolman - C. Johnson (not sure if Bast is coming in)

that is an incredible group of forwards. D men nothing to sneeze at either but wow that might be the deepest group up front we have had in awhile.