SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

7 minutes ago, hky said:

Missed Schlossman and Hennessy on the radio this a.m.  Any interesting info/speculation?

Was interesting that Schlossman was offered a job writing in the NHL somewhere last year.  He said it was good he didn't take it because they have since had layoffs. 

3 hours ago, tnt said:

Heard on the radio this morning that Casey Johnson will be coming in for the 2016-2017 season.  

Was he Tim's color guy?  I'm liked his work well enough, but his constant interruption with "yup, yup" while Tim is talking became an irritation to me I was struggling to get past.   He contributes, though.  Someone just needs to teach that out of him.   Maybe it's just me. 

5 hours ago, tnt said:

Heard on the radio this morning that Casey Johnson will be coming in for the 2016-2017 season.  

Tyson Jost F Fr. Penticton, BC
Zach Yon F Fr. Roseau, MN
Dixon Bowen F Fr. East Grand Forks, MN
Ludvig Hoff F Fr. Norway
Colton Poolman D Fr. East Grand Forks, MN
Casey Johnson D Fr. Grand Forks, ND
Gabe Bast D Fr. Penticton, BC

Here is my best guess for our current class coming in now.  Assuming Schmaltz stays of course, wishful thinking!

My count we have 8 open spots. Who else on Forward comes in? Collin Adams? Cakebread? Jones? Jones should be eligible considering he sat out a year after leaving Ohio State.   I'd be surprised to see Keane next year. 

10 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

My count we have 8 open spots. Who else on Forward comes in? Collin Adams? Cakebread? Jones? Jones should be eligible considering he sat out a year after leaving Ohio State.   I'd be surprised to see Keane next year. 

I think he's eligible at midseason, if I'm not mistaken.

57 minutes ago, tho0505 said:
Ludvig Hoff F Fr. Norway

Here is my best guess for our current class coming in now.  Assuming Schmaltz stays of course, wishful thinking!

Cole Smith

1 hour ago, tho0505 said:
Ludvig Hoff F Fr. Norway

Evers could be a possibility instead of Bast, simply because Bast sat out most of the year due to injury and Evers played a lot of minutes in the USHL. But Bast is older so who knows, as I have only seen Evers play in an All-Star game and never seen Bast. It will be interesting to see who the coaches think is ready for the next step. 

My guess?

F: Yon, Smith, Bowen, Hoff, and some hack named Jost. ;)

D: Poolman, Johnson, and ________.

I'd have said Bast, but he only played 9 games last season (8 RS, 1 playoff) per Eliteprospects.com. If the coaches think Bast is not ready I'd say it's Evers. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My guess?

I'd have said Bast, but he only played 9 games last season (8 RS, 1 playoff) per Eliteprospects.com. If the coaches think Bast is not ready I'd say it's Evers. 

I heard that Bowen give it a go at D.

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I heard that Bowen give it a go at D.

If that's the plan, do the coaches bring in another forward, and if so, who? We've lost 5F and 3D. You need those numbers to be at a 15F, 8D roster. 

34 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My guess?

Bast might return to Penticton next season.

57 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If that's the plan, do the coaches bring in another forward, and if so, who? We've lost 5F and 3D. You need those numbers to be at a 15F, 8D roster. 

I guess.  I could see Bowen playing that band-aide roll in practice.  Play where they need him.  I would think it will be tough for him to crack the line up barring injuries.

On May 9, 2016 at 8:04 AM, stoneySIOUX said:

Peski at D and Dixon at F are two that I believe are coming in this season. Bowen will be a nice addition to the program, and I love seeing the local

talent continuing the tradition. Very glad SCSU didn't get him as they really wanted him.

The Schloss-blog is saying:

Dixon Bowen -- a versatile player, any position needed. I’m going to guess he starts on the blue line.
Casey Johnson
Tyson Jost
Zach Yon
Cole Smith
Ludvig Hoff
Colton Poolman 

There will likely be at least one more player added to the list.

If Schlossman is thinking Bowen on the blue, which forward would be next most likely? 

On 5/10/2016 at 10:35 PM, Goon said:

I don't think the league needs to expand. The NCHC is fine the way it is. If anything, I think the NCHC needs to work on its own branding first. They don't need to jump at the first team that wants to join. They hold all of the cards. All I keep hearing what a great hockey trip. They don't have an arena and Allegiant flights to Mesa, AZ, are relatively cheap. 

You bring up a good point. In three years of existence the NCHC has established itself as a powerhouse in NCAA hockey already, but even IF we were to add ASU into the mix I feel that our already-member teams would continue to go about their business as they have. Don't have an arena? Not right now. One's coming. 

The one thing I know is that if a team is being added into the NCAA ranks from the club system, they need development. We don't want to cast team out as a weak link (as if CC isn't experiencing that already), but by adding them to our conference they would most definitely get some development in gameplay, and on the ASU side of things, being attached to the conference might help with their recruiting. They have talent, but in order to keep bringing more to the program, this can help. Greg Powers and their AD have done incredible things in the last couple of years and I only wish the best for them going forward.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

You bring up a good point. In three years of existence the NCHC has established itself as a powerhouse in NCAA hockey already, but even IF we were to add ASU into the mix I feel that our already-member teams would continue to go about their business as they have. Don't have an arena? Not right now. One's coming. 

The one thing I know is that if a team is being added into the NCAA ranks from the club system, they need development. We don't want to cast team out as a weak link (as if CC isn't experiencing that already), but by adding them to our conference they would most definitely get some development in gameplay, and on the ASU side of things, being attached to the conference might help with their recruiting. They have talent, but in order to keep bringing more to the program, this can help. Greg Powers and their AD have done incredible things in the last couple of years and I only wish the best for them going forward.

They'd be a great addition to the WCHA. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have heard from a very good source that Nick Schmatlz is indeed coming back next year. Apparently he and Gage will be roommates.  It won't be official for a while because he doesn't want to go public yet. 

• Upvote 2