SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

3 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I don't understand it either but best of luck to him. 

Agreed.  He's young, he'll most likely play 2-3 years in the A before he gets his shot.    He's a great skater, once he puts it all together I could see him getting an NHL shot in the next few years.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Thompson signed. Still confused by this, especially since the Ducks have so many young D prospects. 

Guessing Anaheim wanted him to develop with them instead of UND. He didn't seem to progress much from last year to this year. UND obviously has a history of developing players but maybe it wasn't working for KT.

KT has some dynamic athleticism that none of the other defensemen on last year's team had.  For that reason, and his age, he's got a shot at eventually being the best NHLer of the group.  Which is not to say he was the best defenseman on the team last year, but people develop at different rates. 

Thanks for bringing home the title, and good luck!

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Guessing Anaheim wanted him to develop with them instead of UND. He didn't seem to progress much from last year to this year. UND obviously has a history of developing players but maybe it wasn't working for KT.

Maybe he chose Utah over school? $600 a week to play hockey, if you get housing and a per diem for travel is . . . . not a bad life until you work your way up. Make it to the A and you have yourself a living.

9 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Given how close Thompson was to leaving last year, which would have been even more odd, I have to speculate that he or someone (advisor, Anaheim mgmt, etc) did not want him to continue at UND. 

I often wonder if some of them just get sick of school?  Not being at college, but the classes and homework.  If all you want to do is play hockey, and someone offers you a nice chunk of change to do just that and take a break from classes, I think some guys jump at the chance?  Not saying Thompson did, but just a broad speculation -

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Not surprised that Thompson signed he looked like he had a foot out the door after the Christmas break.

i heard rumblings after his freshmen season he was thinking of signing.  this isn't a surprise.

1 hour ago, jk said:

KT has some dynamic athleticism that none of the other defensemen on last year's team had.  For that reason, and his age, he's got a shot at eventually being the best NHLer of the group.  Which is not to say he was the best defenseman on the team last year, but people develop at different rates. 

Thanks for bringing home the title, and good luck!

Best wishes to KT.  He leaves with a ring and legacy of 1st local Devils Lake product to wear the green and white .

I'm sticking to my call that LJ and LaDue join him as signers, Schmaltz and Poolman to return.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNDhoops said:

Keaton definitely has huge upside. Hopefully he realizes it.

On the UND side, if we can get out of this offseason where our only 2 early departures are a FA whose stock will never be higher and our 5th best D-man we are in pretty good shape.

SHHHHHHHH, don't jinx us. Nothing against Keaton but I don't ever see him reaching the NHL

• Upvote 2

Demko departs BC now too.
That brings them to 5 early departures this offseason.  Ouch!

Might be a rebuilding year next season for the Eagles.  I'm interested to see how that #1 recruiting class over at BU does...wonder if they'll lift BU back up.

11 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Demko departs BC now too.
That brings them to 5 early departures this offseason.  Ouch!

Might be a rebuilding year next season for the Eagles.  I'm interested to see how that #1 recruiting class over at BU does...wonder if they'll lift BU back up.

I suppose he feels comfortable signing now that Vancouver has bolstered their defensive core. ;)

BC might have a few others leave early too!  But, wow, they've taken a major hit already!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Reaping what they sow.  Same thing will happen to BU with their recruiting class.  Glad we have a healthy mix of recruits and a program players don't want to leave. 

We still aren't out of the woods on early departures, so we potentially could lose as many.

• Upvote 1