SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

22 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

KT was at best the 5th best D-man on the team this season so if he goes he goes. Others will easily step in and fill that void.

I actually liked his overall game however I do think he could use another year in college. I don't know his situation though.

9 minutes ago, siouxstudent said:

If we end up only returning Gage, Wolanin and Shaw on D we are going to have some holes to fill...

Smart money is on Poolman coming back to play a year with his brother.

• Upvote 2

i still think ladue stays because he wont want to have to take a 2 way deal (and it would have to be tougher to crack the kings roster than some of the other places he could sign) and i think poolman will want to stay a year to play with his brother.

Question is, if we only need to bring in 1 or 2 d men, who are they?

32 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I actually liked his overall game however I do think he could use another year in college. I don't know his situation though.

Thompson's relatively young, too.  If he stays, Thompson won't turn 21 until a month before his senior season starts.  Paul LaDue was already 21 when his freshman year started.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDhoops said:

i still think ladue stays because he wont want to have to take a 2 way deal (and it would have to be tougher to crack the kings roster than some of the other places he could sign) and i think poolman will want to stay a year to play with his brother.

Question is, if we only need to bring in 1 or 2 d men, who are they?

Brad has said that Poolman will come in for sure this year so that's 1.

Just now, UNDhoops said:

yeah i said that wrong. i meant 1 or 2 extra. my bad. and they might not even need 2 more after him depending on who leaves i guess.

The choices would be Bast, Evers, Johnson, Kiersted, or Peski. Looking at the ages Bast will be 20 in December,  Evers will turn 19 in May, Johnson just turned 20, Kiersted turned 18 earlier this month, and Peski turned 19 in March. Bast is the interesting one to me as he was supposed to be here in the fall but after missing much of this season with injury I could see him playing another year of juniors. The plan for Evers had been for him to come in last season so he has already been pushed back one year so I wouldn't be surprised to see him here in the fall. When Johnson committed it said he could come in for either 16 or 17 depending on who leaves. I think Kiersted was a 16 or 17 when he committed so I'd guess unless we lose LaDue, Poolman, and Thompson he plays another year in the USHL, Peski was scheduled to come for 16 but it did say in the article when he committed that he was flexible if that changes. 

Ladue: Drafted in 2012 (age 24 in Sept), think the Kings have till Aug 2017 to sign him (Like Gregoire)? I read http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/paul-ladue/

Future

LaDue is in his junior season at the University of North Dakota in 2015-16. A strong two-way defenseman who can control the play with his skating and contribute to the attack, he has been a big part of the Fighting Sioux' success under first-year head coach Brad Berry. An assistant captain, LaDue's game is close to NHL-ready but with the depth in the Kings' system he may use his final year of college eligibility in 2016-17. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UND1981 said:

Week 1 -  Boeser (stay)

Week 2 - Stecher (sign), Ausmus (stay)

Week 3? - LaDue (sign), Thompson (sign)

Week 4? - Poolman (stay)

Week 5? - LJ (sign)

Week 6? - Schmaltz (stay)

Week 7? - A bunch of UND fans (stay, though it was anybody's guess with 2 minutes left against DU).

Kidding.  Kidding.  :D

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

2 of my relatives from GF played for the goofs, and I didn't cheer for them.

My brother-in-law played for the Gophers. Recently, he seems like he's more interested in how the Sioux are doing. His oldest boy is a player, I am trying to get him interested in UND. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

1 hour ago, Goon said:

My brother-in-law played for the Gophers. Recently, he seems like he's more interested in how the Sioux are doing. His oldest boy is a player, I am trying to get him interested in UND. 

That would be great for you if he played here!!!  Heck, I would root for him too!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Goon said:

Care to divulge who you brother in law is? Just curious, since I grew up going to gopher games since I was in diapers.

• Upvote 1